Micra won't idle on first start

Hi everyone,
Im new to these forums so please bare with me.

My wife has a Micra K12 E (03 plate) and we bought it last June. It was working perfectly fine until the winter started.

We started to notice that whenever we left it sitting over night, it will fail to start in the morning unless you had your foot on the gas first and revved it up! However, once it had idled, it would work like a dream - still the case.

Recently however, it's been getting worse and worse - even though the weather has been getting warmer, and we've started noticing it's worst when parked uphill (we live on a steep hill). It requires just a tad bit of gas to get it going and stabilises within 5-10 secs. Once it's going, you can turn it off and on a million times without gas and it works perfect. To add to that, if you don't gas it first time and it stalls, it refuses to start for 10-15 mins.

The nature of the problem (have to leave it over night for it to reoccur) means that the garage holds it a few nights each time and it's getting annoying.

I've just dropped it off again. In the last 3 months I have changed:

The crankshaft + camshaft sensor
Spark Plugs
Used Carburettor cleaner (dad's advice - helped a little)
I've cleaned up the inlet and also throttle body and also changed the air filter.

I have noticed there is a tube inside which doesn't seem to connect to anything and don't know if that's related.

The car accelerates and drives perfectly and only done 44k. I always keep it above half full on petrol. I went to Cardiff (from London) and back over the weekend and it had 0 problems. Engine light is not on (never has been) however my rev meter is really funny and gets stuck at 1-2rpm (will go up but not down, but intermittently works normal)

Have full service history so I doubt it's been tampered with for the odometer.

Any advice is appreciated. And a huge thanks in advance.

Tezza

Today's Video -

Last Time (1 month ago) -

Last edited:
Your battery light is on in both videos, that should go out?

Parking on a hill?
I think there's a chance that gravity drains the fuel back through the system so It has to pump it back
Causing the difficulty in initial start up.

OP
OP
T
I think it's because the videos are not long enough to see it go off. They definitely go off though, I haven't noticed them on while driving - could a sick battery be causing the problems?

The problem happens downhill/flat as well. It's just worst uphill, maybe added to by the gravity situation here.

OP
OP
T
So a little update, got the car back from the garage today and they think it's the timing belt -.- really? It's only done 45k. In addition, they can start the car up with the crankshaft sensor detached (little green cable near radiator) and then once the car has started they reconnect.

They've also disconnected the battery and now my radio wont work (haven't got a code)

Can anyone help?

BP 234732016336

7 642 347 318

Thanks in advance

Timing belt should be changed every few years or so many miles (whichever is sooner), it says so in the owners handbook (if you have one :p)

for example: The timing belts all need changing every 5 years or 72,000 miles on My K9K engine (dci) ;)

Radio code?....I get 1806 ^_^

K-12 cold start/idle issues?

Early K-12’s were fitted with poor quality elastic Renault timing chains, “not timing belts as you and possibly your garage erroneously quote”? Stretch timing chain is the source of many engine control issues and sometimes throws up a check engine light and corresponding data trouble error codes. At 11 years old and 45K miles the original rubber Renault timing chain is well overdue for replacement. Does the chain rattle on start-up? Suggest you check the service history records and corresponding invoices to verify whether this chain has been replaced in the past? Radio code may also be listed on original invoices/ handbooks, and ask the previous owners? Bone fide workshop replacing the timing chain would often place a metal foil chain replacement data sticker on the bulkhead?

Fault description relates to cold start enrichment and cold start idle control. You imply a small pipe disconnected inside the throttle body or the manifold? Any air leaks below the throttle plate or manifold area will greatly disrupt air flow metering and disrupt cold start/idle enrichment. Suggest you get a Haynes manual and cross check and identify this unconnected small pipe from the diagrams and drawings and reinstate this item if required?

Timing chain replacement is a very expensive option for such an old car and requires expert fault troubleshooting second opinion assessment of the sources of the cold start idle issues. Suggest you find an excellent customer recommended independent garage, in your area, on the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent’s good garage guide found at;

http://good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/
and general information of owners experience with the K-12 similarly found at

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k12-2003/?section=good

Nissan UK and or its dealers may have records and be able to verify if and when the timing chain was replaced and also the radio code?

Let us know how this pans out, good luck!