• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Micra Urban Van.

Have ordered some front brake pipes for front again this time they are correct for left and right side..
I started car today and was checking on the brake pedal this seems fine feels firm enough even tho the pipe wants re- doing at least I can be sure Im getting something right.
The car started so unlikely a drain.
I have order a charger that is capable of charging this type of battery so I can try see if the old one can get another life.

When I remake this brake pipe I'm going to use a tape measure and try to get something more accurate with the bends as close to what was before as I can. (Also take that I will have to match at other side so they are even)
Also I need to clean up the sliders as I recall one at bottom was not moving as freely as top one.

Trying the pulse charger today.
So far it's telling me the old Halford battery seems to be low but does take a charge. The volts look correct and the amps were about 3.3 probably this is low.
When I try on the heavy duty battery says full the volts were 9.6 this looks almost end of life the charger shuts off instantly but does allow pulse mode to work.
The amps were in the 1.2 range.
Not exactly sure what all that means right now but I do know the heavy duty one was not holding a charge.
Seems to be doing repair tho as after a few mins it was taking charge again.
I don't plan using this for the car but it's handy to have if it does repair.
Was unable to get this one to charge with the old sigma.
Another check and the amps are going up I'm guessing it's saying its full but the amps say otherwise.
The instructions are vague as usual.
So I will keep checking and try to work it out as I go.

Micra bat full just return to check drop to 12.3v after an hour or so.
Used regular charge mode with this it sounds like it wants topping with water but not sure how to access yet.

The diesel engine battery has now got 11.1v using repair mode or pulse mode.
Again not sure how to access the cells in these they both Halfords brand ad it says sealed.
Got some distilled water to top them up but for now just want to see what they do with the volts.

I'm not leaving them on continuously since I'm unable to monitor for more than a few hours.
Once they are both charged I will add a circuit to one and see if it will run a 12v device for a set time.
Once I'm happy with the smaller micra battery I plan to store it and in case I need to start the car and run into same situation I should have a battery on standby for over cold periods.

The volts I'm showing are what the charger is telling me via the screen so accurate probably they are not but for a base line to keep an eye on I can see if they are draining fast during standing.

Also wearing safety glasses each time I check. The charger and battery so far have not seemed to get hot.

Was trying to get some new drum brakes today but they seem to be for a Nissan cube from memory tho these wil not be compatible.

The brake pipes I was comparing again and I noticed they have a larger inner diameter.
Should get the others tomorrow from auto_doc.
They are the A. B. S type so nothing special here as I've had to buy them again. 😕

Last edited:
Managed to find a replacement for the fuel filler neck.
Looking more like I might get this thing back onto road again probably not until next year tho now as I have plenty left to do.

Okay so daily is the corsa but it keep intermittently staying in park.
Trying to figure it out took a photo online the info reports a bad solder joint on one blue wire that goes to soldernoid.
Looks like a simple enough task re solder the wire.
But my thoughts are the harness might want replacement.
Any views welcome any one with automatic transmission/shifter knowledge.
Apologies for being none micra related.

The micro switch at fault have removed and will just have to put up with the parking pin moving when the brake is pressed until I'm able to get the item replaced.
As this seems to require the exhaust removed to gain better access.
Could probably do it with centre console removed.
After soldering the micro switch it worked and then got unable to remove key problem.
So only option left was to remove the micro switches as a tempory measure.
This is a safe method as far as others have stated as the parking pin locks and releases as normal the brake lights work fine so that was not a problem.
So the solution for this was to join two and isolate the other.
When using a crocodile clip to bypass the switch this worked also.
The switches are hard to refit as I was trying to replace them back only to find the issue returned.
As for the key being locked in the ignition this seems rather stupid feature. But probably serves a purpose.
My conclusion the micro switches and wires had poor connections.

So image screenshot below shows the full item that is to be replaced.
The simplest solution is to solder the wires from the new micro switch to the existing harness..
The plug is removable so should give a bit more access to the wire.
This was recommended by someone who had the same problem.

I have since received a gas solder iron that may be more helpful to me as I struggle with the plug in type.
Have also got some flux to help with the solder process.

I want to buy the full item so the micro switch will return into its area and can be locked in with the locking metal part that is really awkward to fit.

For budget fix one can use a simple micro switch. This would then have to be affixed in position and probably won't be ideal long term solution.

I will buy the item later since the service is coming up and if its possible I will have them replace this item should it be a requirement.

For now I will see how it does without the micro switch as the car is being used to commute to work.

Decided I will give some micro switches a chance they are prewired and should be able to recreate the same action when connected up.
Only thing I picked the wrong ones so have asked for them to change to the lower type.
Plan is to join the two together via the wires and try and get them wired up then test and see if it will work.
They look slightly different but serve same purpose.
Can be done with just one switch but I want to try an make it the same as was as close as I possibly can.

Next step to test these switches and see if I get the same problem gonna quick connect to save fiddling about with the soldering iron.
Once I see if it works can decide how long the need be. It's a shame the switches are different cause they ain't gonna fit the recess area.

Car got new tie rods it's service also.
Bad news tho the subframe has slight corrosion. 😔
It pass tho so that was a bonus.

Have gotten a oscilascope thingy and will use this to see better at the cross member.
With intention of trying to remedy the issue that shouldn't be too hard to sort out.
Pretty sure it will be better than nothing but do need something to paint on afterwards to seal it up. The waxy oil might be okay for this purpose if it's still usable.
It's not the best quality but might give me some idea of what's happening down under 😆

IMG_20240128_160358.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_205355.jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_205355.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240208_203340.jpg
    IMG_20240208_203340.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Over night water has gotten into the engine bay and was all on the battery and wiring at passenger side.
So battery was near flat anyways and now the car not start with either new or old battery.
I'm going to charge the new and let things dry up probably not major problem.
It's been pretty good so far but lest few times seem alittle tired on start up.
Can't really complain as I'm only firing it up once a week now.
This is the nissan..

Swapped back 2 new battery and it run OK bit steamy tho so let it warm up for a while.
The other battery has either lost charge when standing or it's very close to a dead battery.
However it had stood along time.
Cleaned out all the windscreen gutter as this was probably what was causing the water to get inside.
Took hours to charge the new battery while the old one is completed after dinner. This is a good indicator that it's time to replace one.

Last edited:
Today was checking to see if anything was blocking up the scuttle panel area drain on either side and the inner wings.
As the roof seem to be going green.
Yesterday I washed all this off so thought I'd best prevent that from returning.

While I was doing this also checking at the abs module since this looked wet last time.
Now I can see it has been dripping from this area must be when I was trying to adjust the pipe to driver side.
I'm probably going to make up a bit of extention for this shortly.
For now I'm going with re-tighten the flare down again and see if it stops.

Re doing my ramps today ran out of wood tho.
I'm doing them so it has two steps to give a decent height.
Not sure if it's gonna work yet,
Plan is to make them compact they will be heavy as made from post materials.
All the cutting and drilling making think I should just buy some of those plastic ones only thing is they don't seem to be very sturdy as in they move when you drive onto them.

Re doing my ramps today ran out of wood tho.
I'm doing them so it has two steps to give a decent height.
Not sure if it's gonna work yet,
Plan is to make them compact they will be heavy as made from post materials.
All the cutting and drilling making think I should just buy some of those plastic ones only thing is they don't seem to be very sturdy as in they move when you drive onto them.

DIY Car maintenance metal ramps that I have used since 1975 & bought for about £15, saved me a small lifelong fortune avoiding garage workshop bills.

To go higher I just put flat wood plates under the ramps footprint.

Halfords 2 Tonne Car Ramps | Halfords UK

Jobs a goodun!

PS. Perfect for small light weight Micra DIY, but not so sure about modern heavy weight 3 ton SUV seriously ugly vehicles?

Happy days.

Last edited:
I have found some that are £20 plastic black ones look a bit more acceptable than the painted metal. Probably not heavy duty tho and also low profile that isn't on top of my interest or needs atm.
Just been checking and the flare on that brake pipe is bone dry. Found info saying to tighten them down loosen then tighten and go a little further each time this seem to have worked.
Glad about this as I'm not yet able to continue.
Keep getting side tracked so not much happening atm.
Thanks for the replys they are always most welcome.
5 ton might be a tad bit overkill for the micra.
For anything bigger tho would definitely save me from having to upgrade down the road.
As I do plan on trying a proper van at some point and that would need to be 3 or more ton.

Glad that I have looked into the low rise low profile. After checking they are probably only the same as what I have been using.
Probably gonna just go with the ones from the range as they should do the job, it's only to get the axle stands in place.
And now I'm looking at scissor lift again but they look like might be a bit heavy to move and store away.
Maybe I'm just being lazy. 🤔

Last edited:
Back