• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Micra Tropic

I know nothing much about cars so forgive me if any of this seems stupid.
My son just bought a 1994 Micra Tropic 1.0L.
There is no radio in it and we don't know if there ever was. There is just a cover over the opening.
There are speaker grilles in the doors -
1 ) Is that likely to mean that there are speakers in there? Is there an easy way to tell?

He wants to fit a CD/radio player that he can also plug his iPod into.
2 ) Given the age of the car are there any particular problems/ issues to look out for that limit the choice or that require any special additions to enable the player to fit and work?

And finally - the cigarette lighter seems knackered but the fuse seems to be OK.
3 ) Is that likely to mean that the actual push in / pop out bit is done in - and if so where can you buy such a thing?

i'd take one of the door cards off and have a look, you may need an iso adapter for the new cd player but you can get them on ebay or at halfords

no worries i hope you get it sorted, as regards to the ciggarette lighter im not sure as i didnt have one so i wired my own in

if i remeber correctly the lighter unit just unplugs from behind, it has two connections...one for the illumination ring (lights up when your headlights are turned on) and one for the heater element, check those first incase they've popped off / become damaged.

if it turns out it is ######ed, go to the scrappies as theres plenty of micras about for parts....should cost you next to nothing.

if i remeber correctly the lighter unit just unplugs from behind, it has two connections...one for the illumination ring (lights up when your headlights are turned on) and one for the heater element, check those first incase they've popped off / become damaged.

if it turns out it is ######ed, go to the scrappies as theres plenty of micras about for parts....should cost you next to nothing.

there only one plug on the back of the lighter..put it goes onto 2 bits of metal in an '' -I '' shape like that lol (confusing if you dont know what iam on about)

its manily gonna be the metal ring that lighter goes into at fault, or the conector..will only cost a couple of quid from the scrappy.

Thanks squarepants

Thanks for that update on the lighter. I see you're based in Matlock - we're just up the road. Do you know a decent knowledgeable small garage ( not a dealership ) that is good with micras anywhere in the Buxton / Matlock. Chesterfield area?

when i had a new cd player i needed an adapter thats lets you connect aftermarket stereos to your original wires. i also needed an ariel adapter. cost me about £15 in total. so just add that to the cd player you want. halfords has them all. suprosoingly the one near me had the adapter for my specific car in stock that day. best to give them a ring to see if they can get it in.

or you could buy off ebay, I got an adaptor plate (not needed for micra) and wiring harness for my mates van for £5.69 delivered from ebay, checked halfords and it would have been around £20-£25!

Back