Micra SR20DET 250bhp clutch

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Mine has begun to slip in 5th gear at 3500-4000rpm and other gears too (although that's prob wheelspin!) so I need a new uprated clutch soon. What will I need or have to look for? It's a primera sr20 gearbox

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Yeah and. Not very helpful was it! All it needs is a better clutch. I checked it all over. Drove it home and all drove all weekend and its great. Just in 4th or 5th gear the clutch slips at 4k rpm

frank

Club Member
there,s a lot of conflicting opinions on AOC about clutches andy, i dont like the abasive paddle type personally, the biggest organic one with a sprung cushdrive would be my choice :)

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Andy have you bought two sr20 micras now?
I sold the white sr20 non turbo a while back. I was doing one myself but found this one on gumtree. Went to view it. Nice chap knew his stuff and he was in his 50's. he's run it for a year no problems. So this one I'm not selling as it does feel brilliantly done
I still have the almera that was the doner car and the super s but I sold the clocks and its all in bits. Can't be arsed now I got the complete project lol. The shell ill be cutting in half to make a half car trailer though!

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
there,s a lot of conflicting opinions on AOC about clutches andy, i dont like the abasive paddle type personally, the biggest organic one with a sprung cushdrive would be my choice :)
I have the paddle one in my almera Gti. It's not nice. Good for launches but not around town driving. Clutch is either on or off with it lol no middle.

What's a organic one?

Get me a link to one on eBay and ill see what I can do :)

frank

Club Member
I have the paddle one in my almera Gti. It's not nice. Good for launches but not around town driving. Clutch is either on or off with it lol no middle.

What's a organic one?

Get me a link to one on eBay and ill see what I can do :)

organic compound dude, i got my 1.0 clutch to handle 150hp (albeit at a higher 6k rpm) by fitting a bigger 180mm friction plate into it, so i have the same light pedal, but far more output, and the spring cush-drive is a lot softer on the g/box and shafts etc
some of the QG,s have a very big friction plate (and same spline)

clutch.jpg

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
So I need to look for a clutch with organic compound and spring drive but rated to over 250bhp?

frank

Club Member
just be wary of ratings claims on ebay, i have an exedy pressure plate that has a thinner diaphram spring than the stock LUK one (15 thou" thinner) and it slipped

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
If I know what makes are good ones I can ask local parts shops like euro car parts. :)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
I sold the white sr20 non turbo a while back. I was doing one myself but found this one on gumtree. Went to view it. Nice chap knew his stuff and he was in his 50's. he's run it for a year no problems. So this one I'm not selling as it does feel brilliantly done
I still have the almera that was the doner car and the super s but I sold the clocks and its all in bits. Can't be arsed now I got the complete project lol. The shell ill be cutting in half to make a half car trailer though!

God I heard nothing about this red sr20 up for sale, that one was kept quiet!

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Lol I didn't see it on here either so I kept it quiet lol. I wanted it

Scott

My name is Scott
Site Supporter
ACT clutch. Import from America. Come highly recommended by the SR lads. Will be a heavy pedal like but will handle your power and any increase in power should you plan on it. Steer clear of XTD. Buy cheap, buy twice

organic compound dude, i got my 1.0 clutch to handle 150hp (albeit at a higher 6k rpm) by fitting a bigger 180mm friction plate into it, so i have the same light pedal, but far more output, and the spring cush-drive is a lot softer on the g/box and shafts etc
some of the QG,s have a very big friction plate (and same spline)

View attachment 21252
I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on here. Did you make a clutch plate by swapping the centre/spline section from a 160mm into an 180mm plate Frank? Then fit it upto a K11 type 41 pre facelift 1.0 flywheel and cover plate?

frank

Club Member
I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on here. Did you make a clutch plate by swapping the centre/spline section from a 160mm into an 180mm plate Frank? Then fit it upto a K11 type 41 pre facelift 1.0 flywheel and cover plate?
we did mate :) the pressure plate is 170mm o/d tho, so i had to bevel the outer edge of the friction plate

OP
OP
Andy_S

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
So a organic clutch for primera gearbox would be better than a paddle clutch??

frank

Club Member
So a organic clutch for primera gearbox would be better than a paddle clutch??

i,ve never used a paddle clutch, and dont intend to after seeing what a mess it made of baguete,s american made flywheel, and after seeing paul,s slip along side me down santa pod, ask his opinion (pollyp)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
i,ve never used a paddle clutch, and dont intend to after seeing what a mess it made of baguete,s american made flywheel, and after seeing paul,s slip along side me down santa pod, ask his opinion (pollyp)

Organic, if you can get a strong enough pressure plate, will be the best option for the street by far.

Cerametallic paddle clutches are very harsh on takeup compared to organic, and can be a real pain when used on a street car. You have to treat them very differently, which is were most people go wrong. They often fail early on the road and can cause increased flywheel wear due to being slipped or ridden too much.