Blog: Micra Rally Car build

colinnme1.jpg

Is that eurorallye?

Thanks, i'm now on the look out for an almera airbox, are they all the same, ,what year(s) ?????

matt

it was a 96ish 1.6 iirc, you have to shorten the (filter end) straight pipe and twist the metal supporting bracket (that bolts to the suspension turret) a bit :)

Hi Pete

I've just seen the reg number of your Micra, and I thought I recognized it. I'm sure the car was originally built by NME, it has an Oxfordshire registration plate and comes up on our records at work.

Matt

Hi Pete

I've just seen the reg number of your Micra, and I thought I recognized it. I'm sure the car was originally built by NME, it has an Oxfordshire registration plate and comes up on our records at work.

Matt

Hi Matt, that is interesting what else do you know about it? I have been told that it was used as a development car. what do you have on your records at work?

Is that eurorallye?

Yes it is, he used to own it about 3-4yrs ago.

Been looking through my files and found...........

A video of it :) It's from the coracle stages 2006 not very good quality but you can have it if you like? if i can figure how to do it.

Edit- found a pic. Start line at coracle stages 2006 (sweet lamb)

my.php
[/URL]/img]

EDIT - found another clip from plains rally.

Been looking through my files and found...........

A video of it :) It's from the coracle stages 2006 not very good quality but you can have it if you like? if i can figure how to do it.

Edit- found a pic. Start line at coracle stages 2006 (sweet lamb)

my.php
[/URL]/img]

EDIT - found another clip from plains rally.

Cool yes please are you able to upload it onto utube?

And here is the video of it on the plains rally!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3662450870748418193

Yey, Happy new year to all!!!

Here are some of the photos in action in the rally in december 08

This is a 90 left corner so the micra got the back end round nicely!
The2008Preston2.jpg

We went round this corner a few times so here it is without the back end out
The2008Preston3.jpg

The2008Preston5.jpg

The2008Preston4.jpg

The2008Preston6.jpg

The2008Preston8.jpg

this is my fav, you can see the outline of the micra!!!

The2008Preston9.jpg

it was around -4 that evening so its a mixture of the cold, the hot car and all the water/ mud on the tracks, It was very slippy and great fun to drive.
The next day a Local paper said "More than 55 further damage-only crashes were reported to police as the sub-zero conditions caused havoc on many of the county's roads." Lucky we didnt go on many roads as it was mainly on private land!!

piccies. the black one is yet to have the yellow coat done to it. and both have just been sprayed. the crinkles have only just started to come through...

Attachments

• Photo-0020.jpg
    Photo-0020.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 434
  • Photo-0021.jpg
    Photo-0021.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Photo-0022.jpg
    Photo-0022.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 410
  • Photo-0023.jpg
    Photo-0023.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 417
  • Photo-0024.jpg
    Photo-0024.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Photo-0025.jpg
    Photo-0025.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 402
piccies. the black one is yet to have the yellow coat done to it. and both have just been sprayed. the crinkles have only just started to come through...

How are you gettin Ant? I sent the money via paypal did you get it ok, any more pics?
Cheers
Peter

yeah got it, thanks matey...

just cut back the letters. need to polish them up and get them packaged up.

the paint is taking a little bit longer to cure than first antisipated on the yellow one. but it is getting there, its perfectly dry to the touch but is soft under knife. ill stick it back in the oven on low temp overnight... should be all hunky dory tommorow.

pics.

Attachments

• Photo-0050.jpg
    Photo-0050.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 393
  • Photo-0051.jpg
    Photo-0051.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Photo-0052.jpg
    Photo-0052.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 375
yeah got it, thanks matey...

just cut back the letters. need to polish them up and get them packaged up.

the paint is taking a little bit longer to cure than first antisipated on the yellow one. but it is getting there, its perfectly dry to the touch but is soft under knife. ill stick it back in the oven on low temp overnight... should be all hunky dory tommorow.

pics.

I am loving the yellow!!!!!!

Excellent, cant wait to get them on the cars!
As always I'll take photos of your work and pass on your details to anyone who wants!

thaaank you very much. the yellow one is a base coat of crackle black with a yellow top coat. it looks shinier in the photo than they are. but the yellow is almost like a dark machine yellow, (kind of like an old diesel locomotive) still looks spanking. hehe.

thanks matey., the more people have this service the faster i can modify my car..lol

Rocker covers arrived yesterday and I have to say I was very pleased with both of them! Thank you for a great job Antony!! I should be fitting the red one this weekend, the yellow one to the blue car in a couple of weeks and then the blue cover on that engine I will use on the new engine I'm building.

A quick update,
Red micra I am going to touch up some of the paint work as its a real mess on the sils and maybe touch up the roll cage too. my next event in this car is the 25th Jan and then the 30th Jan so will also check over everything. Oh and I have a very nice bit of carbon fibire sheet that I am going to swap the alu one for to hold the switches in the car, it will have the radiator fan, spots & reverse light I cant think of anything else that I need to wire up so only three at the minute but might put a forth in and have it as a spare.

Blue micra is coming along better, we have had a big problem with the drive shafts not staying in, we thought it was the diff. Spoek to Matt H and he has suggested a couple of things to try in fitting it so will do that next. the screen goes in tomorrow and then will fit the bike carbs next weekend, just got a long sausage type air filter for it so looking forward to having that set up on the car. My plan is once the screen and MOT are done to get it rolling road tested and then see what difference the bike carb set up make after fitting it. Oh and of course Antonys rocker cover! I went for a yellow cover because tyellow goes well with the blue and my tow eyes are yellow and the wing mirrors will end up being yellow too.

Photos to follow next week.

Here is a photo of the rocker covers, cheers Antony should get them fitted this weekend,
The other photo is of the carbon sheet and the switches that I will be fitting, Matt E I will show you the Rad one and wiring on the 25th if you like?

101_0529.jpg

101_0535.jpg

theyre £27 matey, just giz an e-mail and we can sort out a nice new painted cover for you...
ant

PS K6PFS.... did you find the little parcel of bits on the top of the box? that was the throttle cable guides and the one way breather valves.....

theyre £27 matey, just giz an e-mail and we can sort out a nice new painted cover for you...
ant

PS K6PFS.... did you find the little parcel of bits on the top of the box? that was the throttle cable guides and the one way breather valves.....

Hi,

No I didnt find them, good job I havent chucked the box out yet, thing is I was soooooo excited about the covers that I didnt look in the box!

Mattjo; yes its looking like I might me going down that route, I have a 1litre block that I can get the crank swapped over so yes I am thinking about it as an option. And I would recommend the covers that Antony does to anyone!

I have some other photos here i'm really pleased with them, did I say that before?

101_0531.jpg

101_0532.jpg

101_0530.jpg

101_0533.jpg

I won't be there on the 25th, any chance of decribing the wiring or a diagram - thanks in advance. Post on here or bung it in an e-mail to me, with photo perhaps ?

Peter, we will be there on Sunday now, so i'll try and find you to look at the rad fan wiring at some point during the day.

I will make the pic of mine cover. I did it myself, painted in red heat resistant paint. And it looks better when you leave the sides of the "nissan twin cam 16v" letters not painted as well as the tops. That's mine opinion

Good to see you today Pete, thanks for explaining the fan switch wiring (anyone know if you can switch the rad fan on/off indepenantly, with a standard ECU ?????) Just over a minute to find to beat a Standard Rover 200 1.4 16v eh ;)

Good to see you today Pete, thanks for explaining the fan switch wiring (anyone know if you can switch the rad fan on/off indepenantly, with a standard ECU ?????) Just over a minute to find to beat a Standard Rover 200 1.4 16v eh ;)

matt, if you join the 2 wires on the coolant sensor, the ecu thinks that the engine is too hot and kicks the fan in (maybe a resistor would be a better idea tho :))

Hi mate, yes I think I can get a few seconds with decent tyres I didnt get chance to show you but they are the worst tyres I've ever used! Both Martin and myself really enjoyed the Gymkhana yesterday and we both ended up next to each other in the final results, (i beat him)!
As for catching a standard rover I dont think the 103 bhp from a standard rover will be beaten by a 79 bhp micra. They do a micra in japan standard with a 100bhp and also a 4x4 version! I am going to get mine rolling road to see what power its putting out but I need to fix the hole in my exhaust first! Did you run M&S yesterday?

I was using my standard road tyres, in fact the rears are almost illegal now. They are the Firestone van tyres i used on enduro's last year, so nothing fnacy about the tyres i used. As for your 79bhp ????, with the spec of your car ie cage, slipper diff, ECU, suspension, etc...... i suspect that more than makes up for the power difference.

79bhp is stock spec so with an exhaust and filter your probs into the 85bhp or more range. dont be so down on yourself..lol

Hi

How's the challenge car build going? Is everything going to plan?

Hi mate, sorry for not replying sooner, just became a Dad at the weekend my baby girl Ava Lydia was born on the 14th Feb 6lb7.
So nothing much car wise going on, hope to have an update in next few weeks.

at least you know one thing...... your plumbing is working 100%....... have some fun and dont wory about the payment for those bits.... that can keep, enjoy the first few days of fatherhood before the screaming and pebbledash humous like nappy changes come along..

hehe

looking good in blue and white matey..

what have you got left to do to it?

I have the power steering cooling pipe to sort out as its lhd the rhd one that I have isnt fitting. An MOT, the fuel cap mech, rad over flow catch tank, and thats it really, oh and to fit that sexy rocker cover that you did for me!!!!
Then I want to get it on the rollers see what its putting out before we fit the bike carbs to it!

Back