Blog: Micra Rally Car build

Hi all,
A quick update,
The challenge car is mow having the panels painted so nearly finished! Should be ready in about 2 weeks (I hope)

I've been doing the red one really as that needed a lot of work since the last rally. I thought after the engine swap all would be good but as you can see from the picture below the clutch went also!
I have for the time being fitted a standard clutch, and got some super s alloys and road tyres so I can legally take it for a drive, so will put some miles on it this week. I should be able to take some more photos of both cars later on this week and hopefully some video!
On the red one I have now put an almera air box on and exhaust wrapped the manifold.

image099.jpg

Well we have been trying to get the blue rally going for a while now but we seem to keep coming across eleci gremlins, the other day when we had the dash out again! I decided to check the ECU, for those of you in the know I had been told it was a rare N2 Pectel Micra challenge ECU.... well.... it is and here are some photos of it!

101_0382.jpg

101_0383.jpg

The spec Pectel had been given when they built the ECU was to make it look as standard as possible so here it is against a standard ECU, Spot the difference!!!

101_0385.jpg

101_0386.jpg

Right, time for a nice little update on both cars. The red one is now running great it has a standard clutch in at the minute but that seems to be holding up. I have a rally in December the same one that Matt (SuperUno) from here is doing so really looking forward to this. I have a couple of things that I want to do to the car to make sure we get to finish it but apart from that all is good. Here is a video of it going, not a great video but I will get some better ones soon.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8833668886159152115

The blue car the problem we found was the Ecu. A small hair line crack on the board, its an easy fix so thats being done now. So we tried it with a standard Ecu and it ran fine so the car now has life!!!!! Panels have been painted, the bonnet and boot are still white I need to see how it looks and if its crap i will get them painted too. So that is coming along well.

More news soon, I will get videos of both cars.

Easy repair if its only a double sided board, but looks to me like multilayered, good luck

Oh forgot to say I'm not doing the repair! lol... I have a friend who does this sort of thing for a living so he is doing it. He said its an easy repair!
Cheers Frank, I hope to get more videos up soon of both cars.
I do want to catch up with you about LPG on micras I'm thinking of changing my daily use car to a 1ltr lpg micra, how easy is it to fit the kit up?

Oh forgot to say I'm not doing the repair! lol... I have a friend who does this sort of thing for a living so he is doing it. He said its an easy repair!
Cheers Frank, I hope to get more videos up soon of both cars.
I do want to catch up with you about LPG on micras I'm thinking of changing my daily use car to a 1ltr lpg micra, how easy is it to fit the kit up?

peter

it took me the best part of a day to swop the kit from my previous car, you bolt the 2 straps to the boot floor and run a pipe to the engine bay and fit the parts, then about 1hr of wiring, cut the heater pipe and tap the vaporiser pipe in, and mount the filler neck.
there,s some pics in my blog, and this one of the tank
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=11101&stc=1&d=1227260284

Attachments

• PICT0144.JPG
    PICT0144.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,353
When and where is the rally?

Hi mate,
It's strictly a none publisised event.
The event has had problems in the past so a tough line has been taken to stop it from being cancelled seeing that it has been running for 30years this is the only way! No-one can watch as the route is not published until the start.
They always need marshels people to help out so if that interests you and you will get to see all 60 cars then let me know.

Well I have my road rally car with me today at work so I took a couple of photos of it. I'm going to an event tonight from work. So here are the photos of it and then the next event i will hopefully have some photos of the micra in action!

micrarally2.jpg

micrarallycar.jpg

As for the blue rally car that is coming along I hope to have it finished in a matter of weeks now, for now here is a little update of what I plan to do and the spec of the blue car. The plan is to fit a set of bike cars to the rally car, here is a photo of the carbs and manifold!!!!

bikecarb.jpg

SPEC!
LHD ex-micra challenge car.

Dog Box Gear Kit
Gripper LSD Diff
Quick Shift Lever
Helix Competition paddle clutch
Nissan 100NX Callipers and vented discs and rear discs with hydraulic Handbrake
Bias valve

Revolution 13” Alloy Wheels In White

Janspeed Competition 4 Branch Manifold & system Grp A

Peter Vaughen built engine and PVE engine number stamped on it.
Professionally Modified Gas flowed Cylinder Head, Group A Rally Cams 773 Spec with Lighten and balanced bottom end, lightened JUN flywheel.
Nismo Engine Mount bushes
Programmable Pectel N2 Nissan challenge ECU

Competition suspension bushes Nismo
NME Front Strut Brace
SPAX competition rear Dampers
Bilstein Front Dampers
Strengthened rear axel

Kevlar Under Body Protection ½ Length
Kevlar Fuel Tank Guard NME Spec
Alloy Sump Guard

Twin Bonnet lamp pods and 2 bumper lamp pods

Flocked dash
Sparco seats and steering wheel, Sabelt harness
Lightened doors and boot
Multi point roll cage
Light weight alloy bolts used throughout
Painted in Nissan blue

How did you get on last weekend? Good luck tonight, i really like the red one!

hi mate, I didnt do anything last weekend the one I refered to earlier is in december so hope to get some photos of the red one in action on that one,
I will let you know how I get on tonight as the car is running a lot better now with the 1.6 injecters in and the clutch sorted.
I'm not sure what to do with the red one should I put colour coded bumpers on?
Cheers

hi mate, I didnt do anything last weekend the one I refered to earlier is in december so hope to get some photos of the red one in action on that one,
I will let you know how I get on tonight as the car is running a lot better now with the 1.6 injecters in and the clutch sorted.
I'm not sure what to do with the red one should I put colour coded bumpers on?
Cheers

oops :blush: sorry thats the one. I thought it might of been the farrington RR. Personally i think the car looks great as it is. Maybe some white wheels?

Been out in mine today :grinning: some nice country lanes near me (Y)

oops :blush: sorry thats the one. I thought it might of been the farrington RR. Personally i think the car looks great as it is. Maybe some white wheels?

Been out in mine today :grinning: some nice country lanes near me (Y)

No it wasnt the farrington, but I hope to do more next year, the white wheels I have are fitted with my M&S tyres on ready for Rally, and my stage rally tyres but might fit some for the road!

You cant beat some nice country lanes I hope that tonights RR will be fun as its been raining all day and last months one I managed to get a lot of sideways action on the white roads. :glance:

Well that was one of the hardest road rallys ive done in a while! The roads had so much surface water and one of the sections had about 150yard ford! I wasnt the only one who suffered with electrical problems one of the guys in a rover was only running on two for most of it. Mine kept cutting out, and I had a mis-fire, water and car elecs dont mix well. And I have another one this weekend serious work needed to cure that problem, think I need to cover the dizy with a rubber glove!

ok, i have just got round to getting the dvd converted so I can put in on utube from the Richard Burns Memorial Rally in September.
Here are the best bits, as i put earlier in this blog the engine let go on this event and half way through you can see the smoke that the car it putting out just before it let go!
Now I have swapped the engine over and the car is going well and I have another rally soon so I hope to have some photos of that.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7821352655616018941

Well that was one of the hardest road rallys ive done in a while! The roads had so much surface water and one of the sections had about 150yard ford! I wasnt the only one who suffered with electrical problems one of the guys in a rover was only running on two for most of it. Mine kept cutting out, and I had a mis-fire, water and car elecs dont mix well. And I have another one this weekend serious work needed to cure that problem, think I need to cover the dizy with a rubber glove!

condoms work wonders...:laugh:

Condoms, now thats an idea! I could just the car with each HT lead and dizzy covered with a ribbed strawberry flavored durex!

Here are the other photos of the car at the start of the Richard Burns Rally! Have a look at the video of the car on the lin above too!!!!!!

RBMR08redcar1.jpg

RBMR08redcar.jpg

And this is the car at the minute, I have fitted it with 14" gravel tyres and moved the wiper spray to the wipers to give a more direct spray. A lot of work is need to make sure we finish this rally as its going to be wet!

micraprestonprepmicra.jpg

Whats the spec of the road rally car ? Im so tempted to build one....

It's got a high spec but you dont have to go into that much detail to build a road rally car really, its just this car is also msa log booked so has cut off switches and extinguishers fitted so it can do a stage rally.

If I was to build one I would go for cage, seats, harness, spot lights and guards to start with that would be fine.

SPEC!
Red Micra Road Rally car.

1.0L shell

Close ratio Gear Kit
Gripper LSD Diff
Helix Competition paddle clutch (standard one fitted at the minute)
Lighten flywheel

Revolution 13” Alloy Wheels In White or 14” fitted at present

Janspeed Competition 4 Branch Manifold & system

1.3 Engine standard maybe? (Might have different cams in not sure see earlier blog about the engine)
Nismo Engine Mount bushes
Programmable Pectel N2 Nissan challenge ECU
Almera airbox
1.6 injectors

Competition suspension bushes Nismo
NME Front Strut Brace
SPAX competition rear Dampers
Bilstein Front coilovers

Fuel Tank Guard NME Spec
Alloy Sump Guard

Prodrive Sparco seats and steering wheel, harness
Multi point roll cage
Fly off hand brake

Wow! that is a great spec. Whats it like inside. any pics? It still has carpets rear seats headlining etc in?

I will take some pics of inside, it still has carpets, rear seats (folded down under the rear part of the cage) and headlining.
Yes the spec is good, but not sure what do next to it?

CARBS.lol

i think a full replica nme spec rally graphics kit

Carbs, im going to have on the other car not the road rally, the full replica nme spec rally graphics I've been trying to find someone who could do them the last guy I spoke to wants photos of the car from every angle and I dont have them, I only have what I can find on the net, do you mean this one below?

micra_poster.jpg

yep.. although the nme almera was also in the same graphics if that helps,

oooh search for the game rally championship 1999 or mobil 1 rally championship. P5NME is on there in the game

Nice pics how did you manage to get prodrive seats? RE the british rally forum yes it is me no replys though :doh:

I have no more pics of the micra but have side shot and front shot of almera along with the article on Nissan Motorsport UK if you like?

p.s. i'll figure out this Forum+pic malarky soon :blush:..................hopefully!

Nice pics how did you manage to get prodrive seats? RE the british rally forum yes it is me no replys though :doh:

I have no more pics of the micra but have side shot and front shot of almera along with the article on Nissan Motorsport UK if you like?

p.s. i'll figure out this Forum+pic malarky soon :blush:..................hopefully!

Its cool about the photo its took me ages to figure it out too!
I hope you get a few replies in the British rally forum, its good to get people talking about the micra, you never know what might come out the woodwork!
I love the Prodrive seats!!!! They came with the car when I got it very lucky.
If you have the Nissan Motorsport UK article i'd like to see it yes and get the other photos up on here always good to see other rally cars!

I hope you get a few replies in the British rally forum, its good to get people talking about the micra, you never know what might come out the woodwork!
I love the Prodrive seats!!!! They came with the car when I got it very lucky.

Thats what i was thinking. theres a new MG championship and it would be good to have a micra one too. lets face it theres plenty of them! no one seems to be taking the bate though. And them seats are mint there like the ones from the old impreza WRC's!

Ill sort some pics out and the article.

Well that was a rally and a half! below is a link to the event photos so you will see all the other cars and a video link of my car at the end of the rally, out of just under 60 starters only 38 finished it, it is know as an event that brakes cars! We came 24th, should have really been 18th but we booked in early three times so picked up 3 fails which dropped us ti 24th! Still really pleased we finished it, as you can see by the end of the video clip the ground was frozen solid! We started at 22:42 and finished at about 08:12 ish I think!
It did take me roughly about four and a half hours to clean the car yesterday, see the before and after photos! Suze & Matt from here did really well too they also got to the finish and they did have more problems than I did.

http://www.mandh-photography.co.uk/events/Preston08

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7176718256808991337

Car before the rally
micrasideclean.jpg

Car after the rally!
micradirty.jpg

Rear axel after the rally
undermicra.jpg

Rear axel after cleaning it!
undermicraclean.jpg

Who needs to balance wheels with this on them???

micrawheels.jpg

Engine held up really well not one mis-fire all that silicone helped!!
micraengine.jpg

I found after cleaning three problems, exhaust has a crack in it. Wiper bottle motor wires broke and front lower engine mount bolt came out!

Well done Peter, yep we finished just two placed below you with our standard one litre Micra or 10 mins on time.

We had a few issues to deal with mostly the cats breaking up very early on in the event which reduced our power even more !

Top marks though to Nissan for a standard car to take such abuse.

Well done Peter, yep we finished just two placed below you with our standard one litre Micra or 10 mins on time.

We had a few issues to deal with mostly the cats breaking up very early on in the event which reduced our power even more !

Top marks though to Nissan for a standard car to take such abuse.

I do think you and Suze did really well to get round with the problems you had the cats breaking, well done!! I have been looking at the times and just cant see how the 1st place was so quick without braking the car??!! After petrol stop1 I started to take it easier because we just wanted to get a finish but the speed they must have been going at?

I do have an 2009 Enduro question for you, I've seen the new site looked at the regs etc, if I wanted to do it in this car that I have at th mo i would be in trouble because of the gearbox, but if I declared it and said its got a lsd etc, can i still enter the first event of the championship to see if its what I want to do and then change the box over rather than doing it first?

Great cars the micra's and yes nissan have made them well and also that sunny GTI came in 14th with a novice crew!!

Sounds like it was a car breaker!! good old micra's bullet proof cars and both finishing when others fell, well done! :grinning:

P.S. we maybe getting somewhere on the BRF (Y)

Real sorry i couldnt make it chap,will deff come to the next one and get those pics!

No problem, will let you know when the next one is.

Sounds like it was a car breaker!! good old micra's bullet proof cars and both finishng when others fell well done! :grinning:

P.S. we maybe getting somewhere on the BRF (Y)

I know I did a posting today on the BRF, would be great to get a challenge going again!!

Yes it is a car breaker event, really pleased to have finished it, so tried after it but so pleased with the result! Cant wait to get the photos back of it in action!

And I see Abby's selling his P5NME link below, wants £37500! http://www.britishrally.co.uk/classifieds_view.php?id=504

Apart from the very rough stuff, it is not that hard to be at those speeds. I was thinking at times i would be flat in fourth on many parts if i had used my Rover. It is down to the suspension and removing your brain !

As for the enduro's unless the organisers gave you express written permission then i very much doubt you would get through scrutineering with the LSD. Also your engine mods are enduro illegal. It is very much standard cars, engines / g/boxes etc.... Mods are safety and suspension. It would be cheaper and easier for you to get a standard engine and box and bolt that in rather than removing all the mods you have ie injectors, gearbox, airbox, etc.....

Having driven Suze's 1.3 Micra they would be all but there at the top, you may be lacking the ulitmate power (75bhp vs. 105bhp Rover 1.4). But the cars are a lot lighter which counts. If you like the Preston style of event ie competitive sections off-road but smoother then you will enjoy enduro's.

Re Enduros - some events do run a beginners / intro class where cars can [typically] compete on the day route but not on the night route. Chelmsford MC are running an enduro in March, Saturday 28th, with said class so you would complete 180 miles [day route] to give you a good taste of what the events are like. Entries open next week, and the Enduro Intro class is for beginners in unmodified cars. May be a way to experience what the events are like without needing to change engines, gearboxes and the like if you have a suitable car....

Hi all,
Well I have an update on the other car now, looking to get it finished over the next couple of weeks. I am really pleased with how the car has come on and we have had huge problems in getting it going. We have had to change the loom over as the old one has been hacked about and was in such a bad condition. The other problem with it being a LHD so many UK bits didnt work, for example rear lights didnt work and sent all the dash lights crazy??!!
Below is a video of the car running last night, the car is up on axel stands so we put it through the gears and the dogbox was clunking away like it should, the hubs also made a noise as they arent on properly yet.
List of jobs left to do,
O/s front aero pipe to fit,
sump guard,
fire eater system,
windscreen,
seats and Harnesses!
Panels back on.
MOT
Then go and play!!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7080514132761205383

Hi all,
Well I have an update on the other car now, looking to get it finished over the next couple of weeks. I am really pleased with how the car has come on and we have had huge problems in getting it going. We have had to change the loom over as the old one has been hacked about and was in such a bad condition. The other problem with it being a LHD so many UK bits didnt work, for example rear lights didnt work and sent all the dash lights crazy??!!
Below is a video of the car running last night, the car is up on axel stands so we put it through the gears and the dogbox was clunking away like it should, the hubs also made a noise as they arent on properly yet.
List of jobs left to do,
O/s front aero pipe to fit,
sump guard,
fire eater system,
windscreen,
seats and Harnesses!
Panels back on.
MOT
Then go and play!!!!]

The end is in site then! Can't wait to see the end result!

Yey!!!!! what a stroke of luck today, I have been emailing a guy in Wales about rally cars and mentioned mine and he said I think I know that car is it.... and he sent me over these photos of it as he used to own it!!!!!! He said he hasnt seen it in ages.
I think with the work that I have done to it mine will look a different car...... I hope better! He sent me a spec list over of what it was like when he sold it and my spec is better now too... just want to finish it now

colinnme1.jpg

colinnme2.jpg

colinnme3.jpg

colinnme4.jpg

colinnme5.jpg

colinnme6.jpg

colinnme7.jpg

Back