micra on the dyno

i went on the dyno day hosted by TDI-North. it was a good day, with loads of vehicles turning up. the micra was the lowest power of the day, but surprised most people when it pushed 186bhp! sadly, the machine hadn't been calibrated and everyone was disappointed. in the end, it ran 112.1bhp and 102.1lb ft at the crank (estimated) and 79.6bhp at the wheels. for me, this was a great result considering the money spent.

Car - £600
spark plugs - £15
HT leads - £15
frp - £30
wheels - £90
EBC greenstuffs - £50
remove air filter (add subwoofer port)
remove back box and create side exit behind drivers door

add on bits of paint etc. and the grant total is............

£815

not bad i dont think

Correct CG13 does. Those figures seem a tad too high tbh. Need cams and ecu and a full race exhaust to get that from a CG13,

agreed. im pretty certain the dyno was running a bit optimistic, but its unlikely to be more than 10% or so. still tho, for 95,000 miles 72ish aint bad!

i went on the dyno day hosted by TDI-North. it was a good day, with loads of vehicles turning up. the micra was the lowest power of the day, but surprised most people when it pushed 186bhp! sadly, the machine hadn't been calibrated and everyone was disappointed. in the end, it ran 112.1bhp and 102.1lb ft at the crank (estimated) and 79.6bhp at the wheels.

Oh dear, that rules TDI North off my list of dynos I would visit for a social dyno day. It sounds like even when they calibrated it, it was still way off :(

Taking the power at the wheels as read, that's showing a 32.5bhp transmission loss, (29%) :eek:

For a CG13DE of that spec I would be expecting around 55bhp at the wheels.

Those figures are ridiculous. However, I'd like you to link me to the Subwoofer port that fits our tb correctly and how to attach it.

40 bhp more than your average 15 yr old cg13 :rolleyes: i think i would be wanting a refund personally

That and all the other attendees who will be disappointed to be forever chasing the lost power come next dyno shootout lol :p

Sorry peeps. Its not over rated, i got 175bhp in my almera gti where as two months back at HLM it got 178.

Also there was a MR2 which got 330 and @ tdi only managed 299. Civic B20 which was mapped at 245 but got 227

Paul @ TDi explained to Tom about the tracking being way off so car was pulling towards one side hence giving a inaccurate reading

I have always used tdi as its local and in comparisons to others its very similar

Sorry peeps. Its not over rated, i got 175bhp in my almera gti where as two months back at HLM it got 178.

Also there was a MR2 which got 330 and @ tdi only managed 299. Civic B20 which was mapped at 245 but got 227

Paul @ TDi explained to Tom about the tracking being way off so car was pulling towards one side hence giving a inaccurate reading

I have always used tdi as its local and in comparisons to others its very similar
not true the sxoc don't use tdi as their dyno has given inaccuracies in the past no dyno is perfect but there's has been way off my s14 made 215 when standard there atw! That's why the NW sxoc use dyno demon now as we tried most if not all apart from hub dynos at wgt but pip and Dave at wgt said to me it would be a ballache doing that as a dyno day I know those to be the most accurate

Not to mention the over 30bhp crank to wheels correction factor

If I wanted someone to have a random guess at my bhp I wouldn't be giving them 30 odd quid to do it

MOV let me just clarify this post is in no way aimed at being horrible to you, you organised a good meet with a dyno run! Most micra owners never have and otherwise never would have a go on a dyno!
At the end of the day the dyno isn't really the most important part it's putting names to faces, which this achieved, although most weren't micra owners ;)

No offence taken buddy, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But like i said before i always use TDi for my dyno so everytime i do some perfomance upgrade i go their to check if i have gained anything or not.

I dont really believe numbers. Its just what you gained or lost etc...

the overall numbers are pretty unimportant. it is a great guide however. my brothers justy (sadly not at the dyno day due to a dead clutch) is always faster off the line than the micra due to the awd, but then the micra blazes past at the top of second. the justy only has 34,000 miles on it and is supposed to have 67bhp. based from that figure, 13bhp more isnt unreasonable for the way the micra gets way from it.

I wasn't going to put anything up here because everyone bi**hed so much straight away, but at the end of the day its the internet, so cant stop freedom of speech and its a forum, so cant stop freedom of speech! the dyno shows what it shows, and there is an issue with the straightness of my car, hence the reading. This is definitely higher than i was expecting due to the small list of modifying parts on it. i did however expect 60 - 65, and thats probably what its got.

faster than a 2005 2.0 DTi vectra to 95mph
faster than a 2009 bmw 318i to 80mph
faster than a 2003 ford fiesta zetec s to 75mph

It was really a case of offering a perspective based on a lot of historical data :) You are right though, dyno figures are and always will be a potential source for argumentation on forums and it's a shame it can come down to that.

I fully understand sticking to one dyno but if you fix your tracking etc and suddenly lose 40bhp on the next visit, where does that leave you? Do you revert the car back to being poorly setup because it made more power or do you just accept it as a random occurrence and move on? It's more about how you feel as an individual and if you are getting your moneys worth from the dyno and future expectations from any modifications.

My point was, if the dyno was indeed accurate at the time the WHP figures should have been closer. I would have expected to see lower WHP figures and high trans losses personally. Normally that would highlight a potential issue with the car. Coastdown losses are only an estimate anyway, which depends on, (but not limited to), wheels, tires & pressures and also which gear the car is in. Run the car in 3rd and then 5th and if the dyno is good the WHP will be pretty close but the coastdown losses and associated FWP estimates will change quite a lot.

In this case, the fact that both values were out could perhaps be interpreted as another form of error, perhaps a human factor, especially if other vehicles read correctly.

Regardless of the above, as long as you're happy then that's all that matters :D

My point was, if the dyno was indeed accurate at the time the WHP figures should have been closer. I would have expected to see lower WHP figures and high trans losses personally. Normally that would highlight a potential issue with the car.
This :nod:
My point exactly if it was your tracking then it would have to be majorly out! Even then I can't see how that would work it should give a lower figure not higher
A dyno takes 2 measurements, the first one is on the run up where the power of the engine is measured. The 2nd is on the run down where the dyno works out the drag in the drivetrain, it then uses these measurements to work out wheel horsepower.

if the tracking was out on the run up it would also have been out on the run down and would affect both results equally. If on the run down the brakes are binding or the operator pulls the handbrake or uses the footbrake the drag on the drivetrain increases and as such the power will go up.
So your wheels would have to be causing major drag on the run down and not run up to cause the power to raise, or vice versa, in which case the cars that you posted you are faster than would most definitely spank you! (apart from the vectra they're sh!t I spank them in my van!!!) and I'd suggest not driving the car with such unpredictable tracking attacks!
Kinda shows Tdi were talking crap, just making up excuses for why their dyno is really inaccurate
Also off the line a 4wd car bogs down a fwd car is faster, unless it's wet ;)

It's easy to get lost in flywheel power figures to be honest. Measured WHP is all that matters, flywheel figures are just an estimate and are only worth bragging rights, if that.

An abnormally high WHP figure means something is up, period.

In order to avoid the usual RR related threads on validity, I am considering this closed :)

Compared to another dyno I'm familiar with apparently TDI see similar wheel figures but high fly figures, according the operator anyway.

Back