Micra / March Super Turbo to make a comeback!!

James

Chairman
I didn't believe it until I read it!!

It's maximum attack for the Micra. Auto Express has learned Nissan is planning a new hot hatch version, powered by an engine with a turbo and supercharger!

Similar in concept to the TSI twin-charger system seen on the Volkswagen Golf, the new 1.0-litre three-cylinder petrol super-turbo unit will deliver excellent performance, plus low emissions and strong fuel economy.

It debuts on the next-generation Micra, due in 2010, and according to sources in Japan, will produce 140bhp at 6,000rpm. So it should be powerful enough for a 0-60mph time of around eight seconds. But it will also return 56mpg and emit less than 120g/km of CO2. Standard transmission is expected to be a five-speed manual.

This is not the first time Nissan has dabbled in the world of hi-tech units. It launched its first Micra Super Turbo in 1989 as a model for competition rallying. That car’s 930cc engine generated 110bhp.

As well as a hot powerplant, the Micra flagship is likely to get an eye-catching body, with a look inspired by the GT-R.
Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/227799/new_hot_micra_is_ready_to_charge_in.html

solarice

Ex. Club Member
about bloody time :D (i wonder if they've been reading the forum -- as theres always been chatter on here for a hot version :) )

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
its long been known that small cappacity forced-induction engines offer the best fuel-consumption to performance ratio, so its not surprising that Nissan are looking to re-work the ST.. notice though thats its going to be a 3-clyinder 1 litre engine (rather then the MA, CG & CRs 4 clyinders), giving each clyinder the optimum size of 300-333cc, a spec worked out in the 1950/60s iirc...

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
hmm looks like I might be running my glanza for just a couple of years. ;)

Can't wait for this to come on sale here in the UK, I just hope it's as good as it reads.

Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Well I will be looking at changing my car in a few years, so depending on how the new Micra is put together and price I'll certainly be interested.

however the Integra still has quite a pull on me lol!

Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Well with the original ST getting older and harder to come by, this could be quite interesting as long as the styling is good along with a good reliable engine.

In fact this and the K12 may well keep the MSC going for years to come.

Kev

OP
OP
James

James

Chairman
The new Micra is going to be built in India apparantly, leaving Nissan Sunderland space to produce a new model!

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
3cyl? D'ooooooh!

They'll have to slim down on the weight compared to the chubby K12 to make it into a 'hot' hatch. I just hope they put it in a worthy package.

Not sounding too hot with the statement of 'Expect the new Micra to hit 60mph from stand still in more or less eight seconds'. I've scraped close to 8secs on a G-Tech in my K11 and that's with considerably less torque and power, so I expect it's heavy.....possibly heavier if it's got fancy styling and wheels.

Still, more power will be coaxed from that unit easily, so I guess I'll sit and wait to see what comes.

Antony

Ex. Club Member
3cyl? D'ooooooh!

They'll have to slim down on the weight compared to the chubby K12 to make it into a 'hot' hatch. I just hope they put it in a worthy package.

Not sounding too hot with the statement of 'Expect the new Micra to hit 60mph from stand still in more or less eight seconds'. I've scraped close to 8secs on a G-Tech in my K11 and that's with considerably less torque and power, so I expect it's heavy.....possibly heavier if it's got fancy styling and wheels.

Still, more power will be coaxed from that unit easily, so I guess I'll sit and wait to see what comes.

yes but your k11 is far from standard engine wise... i mean my car isnt standard and yours is conciderabley faster than mine..

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
looks interesting, i thought they were gonna drop the engine name...

shame they couldn't have done this with the k11, when they started making them french it all went down hill...

NeX

Club Member
If it was not for Renault, there would most likely be no Nissan...

that is true, but my mum bought a k12 when they came out and it has been recalled 4 times and has been back to the garage about 10 times since she bought it on silly things like wheel bearings.

Renault may have bailed out nissan, but its not the same nissan anymore, the build quality has gone down hill and people are loosing faith in Nissan. i don't know if i would buy a micra after the k11 because i have not been impressed with the build quality.

if this new micra comes out and it is as hard core and bullet proof as the K10s and 11s then i will give them a second chance.

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
the cars been recalled?of course they have all cars get them ya plank!lol the windows the ignition switch ect, the k12 is the best car by far i have ever driven (only driven about 6 cars) but it has a hidden personality that a few of k11 owners have never experienced , i have driven 1st car 1.8 turbo nissan silvia a reg 2nd ford sierra 2.0 3rd was a micra k11 1.0 then a renult clio 2.0i then my micra k12 1.0i then a citroen c4 1.6vtr now back to my micra k12 1.0i so as you can see ive had a few but the k12 seems to have this thing that i cant describe.i sold the c4 just to get the k12 micra back! lol the c4 was the most boring car i have ever driven and wasted petrol like no tomorrow (ok ok i know this makes no sence but the k12 also FEELS better to drive than the k11 a lot easyer and bigger inside but thats down to personal opinion ,which is my own )allthough the k11 has a lot more potential to mod than any k12 i still prefere the k12.

anyway nissans build quality has dropped due to ever rising fuel and parts costs, but the way we put them together has drasticly improved , sure any car will have its problems every car ive driven has , but nissan try very hard to improve in all areas , (apart from customer services lol but thats another issue lmao jj) the reason behind the renalt INVESTMENT was due to nissan just churning out cars and getting in to a million quid or so automotive debt the k11 was built at a majour loss to nissan sunderland but when renault did invest they were able to buy parts cheaper because they could buy more stock at cheaper rates as their buying power increased 3 fold .nissan now make a proffit due to cheaper parts and quicker build time.

so have a bit of faith mate lol
The k12 now is built by far better than the k12 was when it first was built in 2002/3 as all problems have been recterfied.
and to the comment about ppl loosing faith in nissan that is tosh , nissan are now selling more cars than they ever have :D lol

the micra is going to be built else where as nmuk think there is no more room to improve it (im sure thats what was said?i could be wrong tho)and have bidded to build a new type of car and we are three quarters of the way there to getting it , nmuk have just been granted a couple more engins too and axle parts ) does this say the build quality is pap?not to nissan japan it dosent thats why they are allocating us new things because we all do our job well and are proud of the way we do it . sorry about spelling and grammer :D lol

Baz

Ex. Club Member
the cars been recalled?of course they have all cars get them ya plank!lol the windows the ignition switch ect, the k12 is the best car by far i have ever driven (only driven about 6 cars) but it has a hidden personality that a few of k11 owners have never experienced , i have driven 1st car 1.8 turbo nissan silvia a reg 2nd ford sierra 2.0 3rd was a micra k11 1.0 then a renult clio 2.0i then my micra k12 1.0i then a citroen c4 1.6vtr now back to my micra k12 1.0i so as you can see ive had a few but the k12 seems to have this thing that i cant describe.i sold the c4 just to get the k12 micra back! lol the c4 was the most boring car i have ever driven and wasted petrol like no tomorrow (ok ok i know this makes no sence but the k12 also FEELS better to drive than the k11 a lot easyer and bigger inside but thats down to personal opinion ,which is my own )allthough the k11 has a lot more potential to mod than any k12 i still prefere the k12.

anyway nissans build quality has dropped due to ever rising fuel and parts costs, but the way we put them together has drasticly improved , sure any car will have its problems every car ive driven has , but nissan try very hard to improve in all areas , (apart from customer services lol but thats another issue lmao jj) the reason behind the renalt INVESTMENT was due to nissan just churning out cars and getting in to a million quid or so automotive debt the k11 was built at a majour loss to nissan sunderland but when renault did invest they were able to buy parts cheaper because they could buy more stock at cheaper rates as their buying power increased 3 fold .nissan now make a proffit due to cheaper parts and quicker build time.

so have a bit of faith mate lol
The k12 now is built by far better than the k12 was when it first was built in 2002/3 as all problems have been recterfied.
and to the comment about ppl loosing faith in nissan that is tosh , nissan are now selling more cars than they ever have :D lol

the micra is going to be built else where as nmuk think there is no more room to improve it (im sure thats what was said?i could be wrong tho)and have bidded to build a new type of car and we are three quarters of the way there to getting it , nmuk have just been granted a couple more engins too and axle parts ) does this say the build quality is pap?not to nissan japan it dosent thats why they are allocating us new things because we all do our job well and are proud of the way we do it . sorry about spelling and grammer :D lol

Kinda gone off topic slightly

NeX

Club Member
the later k12s are certainly an improvement,

and i have started to loose faith in nissan after my mum bought a brand new k12 and my dad bought a brand new Primera, and the problems and built quality seem to be worse. it may just be me, but one example is trying to change the head unit in the k12 after the stock unit died for no reason, i tried for ages to work it out, killing many plastic clips and things. k11 it is 4 screws, which you can see if you look for them, in the k12 they seem to hide it all.

nissanmicrak12

Ex. Club Member
Kinda gone off topic slightly
maybe but it needed to be said :D

the later k12s are certainly an improvement,

and i have started to loose faith in nissan after my mum bought a brand new k12 and my dad bought a brand new Primera, and the problems and built quality seem to be worse. it may just be me, but one example is trying to change the head unit in the k12 after the stock unit died for no reason, i tried for ages to work it out, killing many plastic clips and things. k11 it is 4 screws, which you can see if you look for them, in the k12 they seem to hide it all.

its not ment to be changed thats why lmao, if it was you would see screws on the outside :D its the way its built too for quickness and it saves money,the door seals go on last lol :D

anyway lookin forwad to seein the turbo .the nissan gtr was in reception a couple of months back , very nice in front of ya

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
shame they didn`t do this with the k12 it may have made it more popular i`ll be looking to change around this time i think so will keep my eyes on it

nex the k12 does have lots of hidden bolts clips etc but alltogether is well built i`d say if ever you do get stuck with anything though have the full workshop manual so just send a pm an i`ll try and help you out it`s saved me a few times

Baz

Ex. Club Member
shame they didn`t do this with the k12 it may have made it more popular i`ll be looking to change around this time i think so will keep my eyes on it

nex the k12 does have lots of hidden bolts clips etc but alltogether is well built i`d say if ever you do get stuck with anything though have the full workshop manual so just send a pm an i`ll try and help you out it`s saved me a few times

Na k12 is ugly

NeX

Club Member

thanks mate,

i do like the k12, obviously i would sell my soul for that V6 one :D but from driving one and working on one there do seem to be a few things that look like a backwards step... i know this isn't k12's fault but i hate how car designers cover the engine in plastic. my mum's k12 was being a bit weird and not starting, i was trying to find the throttle cable, but it doesn't seem to have one... i think thats over complicating things really. and then i tried some fault finding by unplugging things, which ended up putting the engine in limp home mode and it wouldn't drive more than 3 miles an hour.

but yea, i am looking forward to what nissan come up with next, but really the k11 will always be my fave, its new enough to have useful gadgets like PAS and aircon, but not too new to have plastic engine covers, and easily breakable clips lol

i hope nissan can make a really good micra because i know that some day all the k11s will die out and i will have to get something new, an ST sounds awesome :D

frank

Club Member
nex

your ma,s k12 may have a fly by wire throttle, they,re becoming more popular, in order to improve emissions :)

NeX

Club Member
nex

your ma,s k12 may have a fly by wire throttle, they,re becoming more popular, in order to improve emissions :)

yea i think it must have, but really it seems like a stupid idea to me, what is wrong with the throttle cable?!

frank

Club Member
yea i think it must have, but really it seems like a stupid idea to me, what is wrong with the throttle cable?!

with a cable, the ecu has no control of it, which gives it limitations, so it can,t for instance apply wot with no fuel

NeX

Club Member
with a cable, the ecu has no control of it, which gives it limitations, so it can,t for instance apply wot with no fuel

true but its one of the vital controls of the car, the less technology in it the better, its like having a computer controlling the hand brake, the cable is there for emergencys,

NeX

Club Member
looked it up yesterday they do have fbw throttle if you want the info on it just pm me and i`ll send it over

na its ok mate but thanks anyway, luckily the nissan garage is just down the road so we limped it over there and they reset the ECU for free and now its all good :D

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
if it looks anything like the GTR i would consider it but the whole renault technology thing is killing the appeal.

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
this is awesome! but nissan really need to sort out the design of the car this time, the k12 is an obination!

huge potential here! this could be the first time i buy a car new! :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D cant wait!

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
The reason i believe is because apparently 3 cylinders of an exact displacement (not sure what 333 or something) is the most efficient way to do it.

Ian

Ex. Club Member
Wonder if it'll be based on the clio again? Wouldn't be a bad thing, reviews are great for the 197's chasis.