Micra keyless go steering/ignition lock jams

I've just purchase a 03 Micra 1.2SE with keyless go. The ignition switch (steering lock) is hard to engage (release), but a good wiggle of the steering and knob at the same time normally sorts it. However, sometime (hot days perhaps!!!!) it is almost impossible to disengage the steering lock, sometimes you end up giving up after 10-15 mins of trying

I understand the correct procedure, key close to the lock, press the brake (firmly, especially if vacuum has been lost) and make sure the KEY symbol on the dash is green....

When it finally works, I get the strong impression that something is binding/sticking in the lock, perhaps a plunger, or something that is spring loaded that is finding it difficult to move freely. It feels mechanical. There is no sign of tampering and no sign that anyone has injected ‘spray oil’ into the lock (and I won't).

When I called my local Nissan Dealer, an extremely helpful (and honest by the sounds of it) guy explained that they can be a problem, especially on early models. There was also a suggestion that the recent hot weather was making matters worse as they’d had 2-3 in the last few days. He went on to say that as the lock is sealed, they only thing they can do is to replace the barrel at between £200 and £300, BUT this may not correct the problem. He went on to say that Nissan were aware of the problem, but did not have a resolution. He also suggested a local locksmith may be able to resolve the problem, something I found strange, but sounded like it was from experience (perhaps stripping the lock any lubing with graphite powder). I asked if I could change the lock muself (drill/drift out the sheer bolts), but he recommended against it due to the wireless electronics (needing re-programming). He was basically suggesting I simply go to a local locksmith and get him to sort the lock.

The predicament I have is that if no one, including Nissan, knows how to resolve this apparently known issue (other than getting a locksmith in) and they are not giving me the confidence to let them loose replacing the barrel etc (the suggestion was it'd be around £300) if it was not going to resolve the problem.

Any ideas, or previous experience of this problem....

Thanks in advance

Chris

OP
OP
C
OK, I think I may have a solution.....

From reading elsewhere, the problem seems to be that as the lock wears, it causes the internal comonents to stick/bind.

The components inside are probably brass, and alloy and it is best not to lubricate these metals with a 'wet' lubricant. Lock smiths us graphite powder, to lubricate locks, if you look on eBay, you'll find it, I found some by CK the lock people, from Grundys Ironmongers in Kirkham (01772 682812).

I also purchased some spray air dusters (eBay), then blew out the lock, then blew in some graphite powder .....squirted powder in the blow it in with the duster, not as messy as it sounds, but you don't want to be getting graphite dust everywhere.

Anyway..... so far, it seems to have resolved the problem. Previously it could take anything from 5 seconds to 10 minutes to get it to turn, by various wiggles of the switch and rocking of the wheel.

It may work for you..... good luck

PS.... Do not use WD40 and I will try to force some graphite into the other exposed areas (such as the plunger attached to the black lock button.... for good measure. My other though was to try and force the graphite dust in via a spray cleaning solvent, but the air seemed to do it.

Chris

Have just bought a K12 "54 and having a right tustle with ethye steering lock problem. Sometimes its OK first try and others I have spent 30 minutes trying to drive the car
Nissan must have a fix for this as it seems to be a real problem

OP
OP
C
Steering lock (jamming) fix

Have just bought a K12 "54 and having a right tustle with ethye steering lock problem. Sometimes its OK first try and others I have spent 30 minutes trying to drive the car
Nissan must have a fix for this as it seems to be a real problem

OK, 2 weeks on and its been 100%. The fix I decribed above worked. The problem is simply the metal components in the lock binding, they need DRY lock lubricant (graphite powder). I can not stress enough how bad this was before, but the graphite has sorted it. I think trying to get it into 'internals' of the lock is the key.... I forced some in with a can of compressed air.

I did have another fault too..... The keyless entry had not worked since I got the car, and the previous owner had a replacement remote installed (a seperate key fob). Anyway. last week the car battery went 100% flat and when I got in (via the passender door clip off ket access) and recharged the battery, hey presto the keyless entry works again (via the rubber door mounted micro switchs of the nissan keyless fob buttons) Interestingly, the '3rd party' key rob that the previous owner supplied no longer works. Clearly, the flat battery has resolved the original keyless & remote control problems he was having before I purchased the car.... RESULT!

OK, 2 weeks on and its been 100%. The fix I decribed above worked. The problem is simply the metal components in the lock binding, they need DRY lock lubricant (graphite powder). I can not stress enough how bad this was before, but the graphite has sorted it. I think trying to get it into 'internals' of the lock is the key.... I forced some in with a can of compressed air./QUOTE]

I have to back you up on this Chris - I had the same problem, a quick scan on Ebay and £4 later, I've got a totally sorted ignition thanks to a few squirts of graphite powder and some patience for a couple of days whilst it works its way right in.

steering/ignition lock jam 2003 Micra

You will not believe how happy I am having read that you have come up with a solution. I have the same problem with my car - Nissan estimated £460 to fix it! It took me 20 minutes to unlock the ignition last night which is very frustating

Is any graphite powder fine? (some of it on eBay seems to be for using for art)
How exactly did you get it into the lock? around the circumference of the barrel? in the part you put a key in?

I think it is a coincedance but today I opened the boot and then the catch stop working and I had to put a strap on it to keep it closed.

Thanx,

Mike

Further to my previous note on this thread I have ended up buying a replacement steering lock which cost £230 and its perfect :grinning:; easy to fit.

I have to back you up on this Chris - I had the same problem, a quick scan on Ebay and £4 later, I've got a totally sorted ignition thanks to a few squirts of graphite powder and some patience for a couple of days whilst it works its way right in.[/QUOTE]

Where exactly did you force the graphite powder into the lock?

A newbie here.

I just want to confirm putting graphite powder into the ignition and wiggling the key about a lot will eventually loosen the steering lock.

I bought graphite powder from an art shop and using a very, very small spoon, inserted the powder into the lock. After a couple of tiny spoonfuls I would insert the key and jiggle it about. After several minutes of turning the mechanism on/off it stopped jamming.

That was about two months ago and has not been a problem since.

Trevor

I know, serious thread from the dead, but my mum's been having this issue for ages now
...never found this solution before ^_^
...so dad's just nicked one of my pure graphite pencils to make some powder to give it a go *facepalm*
Hopefully it'll do the trick... :p

I know they haven't been online for over 3 years now, but still props to the OP @ChrisV, you're a star ;)

I know, serious thread from the dead, but my mum's been having this issue for ages now
...never found this solution before ^_^
...so dad's just nicked one of my pure graphite pencils to make some powder to give it a go *facepalm*
Hopefully it'll do the trick... :p

I know they haven't been online for over 3 years now, but still props to the OP @ChrisV, you're a star ;)

..Any luck?
Having the same problem recently and im sure the hot weather is making it worse - starts fine in the morning but, been stuck in my car just trying to get it to start come home time from work! :(
Will be giving this a good go tomorrow as my garage cant even find the part to replace it!

I did put some graphite powder in the lock....but I don't think enough :oops:
...and there is apparently a dry spray you can use, but I'm a bit confused about what it actually is
...but it should do the same thing as the powder (lubricate the lock mechanism)

...anyway...it worked, well...it's better...but currently (as you mention) the heat makes it worse again... :(

I'm gonna look into figuring out what the spray stuff is, but 'till then I'm going to try some more Graphite powder :rolleyes:

We just bought a k12 2003 SX and had a sticky keyless ignition button, tried the making my own graphite powder from a soft pencil using a file, worked it into the lock with the emergency key part in the fob, alittle around the outside of the cylinder too, worked it 20 times, and no more sticking, all well so far. Thank you ChrisV

Hey for months my 03 micra ignition button was stiff and the only way to start my car was to turn the steering wheel lock on and start it by gently turning the wheel otherwise the button wouldn't turn. This got progressively worse and worse and I had a couple of close calls. I saw from the internet that this was a car fault so I went direct to Nissan who gave me an expensive solution by changing the lock system. Whilst waiting for the new part, one day it would not start at all. I got a garage to look at it and they changed the battery. Since then I have had absolutely no problem with starting my car and would recommend that anyone with a similar problem replace the battery before assuming the worst! Nissan made me pay up front for the part but gave me a full refund after some lengthy persuasion.

I had the same problem with my 2004 Micra ignition and it was certainly worse in the hot weather. Wiggling the locked steering wheel was effective for a while, but one sweltering day nothing would budge it.
I think the moving parts had gummed up. A prolonged spray of carburettor cleaner straight into the keyhole got it moving and now it remains as good as new (three months on). I tried WD40 first, but that seemed to gum it up even more! I also charged up the battery for good measure, but it didn't need much charging.
If you try the carburettor cleaner, be warned that it makes the car smell of solvent for a couple of weeks and you need to unscrew the plastic wrapping around the steering column to tip out a puddle of any excess drained from the ignition. For me, it was a desperate measure before having the car towed!!
After reading so many success stories with graphite powder, it sounds like the best intervention (after ensuring that the battery is fully charged!).

Mine is live. On shift this cold winter night, during brake went to sit and listen to radio in my 53 micra se. Ignition would not turn. Its been doing it off and on, but today all of 30 minutes I wiggled, jiggled, shook, key on red, pump break, nothing doing. Dreading end of shift. Surely if Nissan is aware of this problem they should give us a free fix! What am I gonna do?

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, at end of shift, presented fob to ignition-carossel, lights came on, steering unlocked, Car started, (i dont think its mechical) but on way home red key flashed up and did not go off when I presented fob to carossel, got home, switched off, and tried to restart, just to check. Guess what? Jammed! In my dream therapy/diagnosis, my suspect driving, lights on - disengaging on downhill home-run to make the 3-litres go a bit longer - maybe this caused discharge of battery? This morn, took off battery for recharge, showed green after 10 min, leaving it to charge more. Stay tuned to find out if its all about the battery or whether it's mechanical - at least from my vantage point.

Battery charged, a bit of struggle, then unlocked, not by wiggling but simply communication between fob and ignition. So far 100%. I am still confused and will keep you informed.
In case anyone is interested, at end of shift, presented fob to ignition-carossel, lights came on, steering unlocked, Car started, (i dont think its mechical) but on way home red key flashed up and did not go off when I presented fob to carossel, got home, switched off, and tried to restart, just to check. Guess what? Jammed! In my dream therapy/diagnosis, my suspect driving, lights on - disengaging on downhill home-run to make the 3-litres go a bit longer - maybe this caused discharge of battery? This morn, took off battery for recharge, showed green after 10 min, leaving it to charge more. Stay tuned to find out if its all about the battery or whether it's mechanical - at least from my vantage point.

Steering lock (jamming) fix

OK, 2 weeks on and its been 100%. The fix I decribed above worked. The problem is simply the metal components in the lock binding, they need DRY lock lubricant (graphite powder). I can not stress enough how bad this was before, but the graphite has sorted it. I think trying to get it into 'internals' of the lock is the key.... I forced some in with a can of compressed air.

I did have another fault too..... The keyless entry had not worked since I got the car, and the previous owner had a replacement remote installed (a seperate key fob). Anyway. last week the car battery went 100% flat and when I got in (via the passender door clip off ket access) and recharged the battery, hey presto the keyless entry works again (via the rubber door mounted micro switchs of the nissan keyless fob buttons) Interestingly, the '3rd party' key rob that the previous owner supplied no longer works. Clearly, the flat battery has resolved the original keyless & remote control problems he was having before I purchased the car.... RESULT!

Thank you so much. Was stuck in carpark in wife's micra with little one in back for 45 mins. Started to panic a bit. But read this. And daft as it seems I blew as hard as I could into key barrel a few times. Put key back in and it turned straight away effortlessly. Must of dislodged some grit or something. But it was your post that gave me the idea. So thank you

Hi all - I know this is a late entry! I’ve just experienced the barrel issue (or the key as they both wouldn’t turn). Bought graphite powder from amazon - £6 - and tipped some onto the key and slowly inserted it into the lock and kept doing this for around 10minjtes and my problem has been solved..... hopefully for a very long time..... thanks all!