Micra K12 Key barrel - HELP PLEASE.

Hello,

Currently own a Nissan Micra 1.5 dCI 2004 diesel. We've had many issues with the key/ignition barrel. The key gets jammed regularly and the car wont rotate. We have bought a new key barrel and all associated bits and bats from scrappy.

I have a friend who can fit in the key barrel etc. Will this sort out the problem and do I need to get the electrics checked etc.

Thanks in advance.

John

Ps. fab belt went and garage said the bits went into the alternator pulley etc, Charged me £200 to get clear the debris and new belts ...... just get a feeling I got scalped ! Is this fair price or my feeling correct ?

Hello,

Currently own a Nissan Micra 1.5 dCI 2004 diesel. We've had many issues with the key/ignition barrel. The key gets jammed regularly and the car wont rotate. We have bought a new key barrel and all associated bits and bats from scrappy.

I have a friend who can fit in the key barrel etc. Will this sort out the problem and do I need to get the electrics checked etc.

Thanks in advance.

John

Ps. fab belt went and garage said the bits went into the alternator pulley etc, Charged me £200 to get clear the debris and new belts ...... just get a feeling I got scalped ! Is this fair price or my feeling correct ?
Are you sure that the sterring lock wasnt on as this will then sometimes make the barrel jam i had the problem with that until i realised that i kept putting steering lock on

OP
OP
M
^
Thanks for replies.

It has been happening with increased frequency in last month. Never happened before and I know what you mean with the steering lock but it is not that. I have not tried the graphite powder yet. I read about that in these forums so might have a go but since the car has been passed to my daughter I would feel lot more secure if this could be sorted out 100%.

Thats why bought the barrel and associated bits - only thing is a friend has offered to fit them but says he is not sure that it might need reprogramming the electrics. Just wondered has any body gone down the route I am considering ?

Or any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Do not want to proceed and then find I have created a bigger problem and need to go to the local Nissan dealership - the prospect of which is almost as bad as having to do a public Hari Kiri Jap style !

I'm not sure if it's not where the nats stuff is located (in the barrel) or in the steering column?
If it os part of the barrel you'll need to make sure the keys you have are programmed correctly ;)

So how do I get it inside the barrel?
I put it on the key itself, put that in the barrel, wiggled it a bit...repeat ^_^

Edit: keyless, right?
The bit you turn flicks off to reveal the normal barrel in which you can put your key ;)

Last edited: