Micra K12 Android Head Unit

Hi guys,

I was trying to surprise the niece with a stereo upgrade to her 04 Micra K12.

After a bit of looking around I purchased an Android head unit from Ali Express that is supposed to fit the Micra & March K12.

When I went to install it the air vents on the Micra K12 are just too big, the clips don't match and there is no slot in the fascia for the wheel to open and close the vent. So, I can only assume that the March K12 vents are a bit smaller.

I just can't find anywhere to source these vents from, I can't see any Japanese website to purchase second hand parts.

Has anyone else been through this issue also?

Thanks,
Mac

Are two versions the double din stereo unit and the sat nav. (Stereo surround)
I don't know what will fit.
Maybe can ask for measurements of facia.
Check they are different Im sure is a post on this forum showing the two different types.
Are you using a single din with a flip screen or double din head unit / facia

Last edited:
That does look interesting, nice find.
The vents would be part of the stereo surround usually.
You could try ebay with the worldwide search or other places but the vents I have not seen before.

Maybe one of the members with a march version micra could kindly post what they view for the air vent this could be helpful or just search for them.

Here is one I just found that is different to what I have seen so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816_221928.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816_221928.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't been able to boot it up yet to test as when I went to install it the vents were the first obstacle and then the harness and the aerial cable were also completely different...

I've basically searched the net non-stop since I posted this and still haven't been able to find anywhere to purchase second hand vents for a March K12...

So, anyone with any ideas it'd be really appreciated ??

If I find anything I'll update here .

Cheers,
Mac

Oddly I walked past an import yesterday, so I looked through the window. The panel looked identical at a glance but I think it might be flatter then a uk one, as in but sticking out so much. I wondered if this panel is designed to go over the top of it instead of replacing it.

Oddly I walked past an import yesterday, so I looked through the window. The panel looked identical at a glance but I think it might be flatter then a uk one, as in but sticking out so much. I wondered if this panel is designed to go over the top of it instead of replacing it.
Scratch that. I went fishing on Google Japan.

Half the vent is blocked by the fascia. You can see the cutout for the side to side adjuster. It all sits much further forward than an oem panel too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply ??

Yeah, the fascia that comes with the stereo is to replace the existing one.

It doesn't have any cut-out for the wheel at the bottom so the vents this has been designed for must not have the wheel.

From searching the net I have seen photos of the March without the wheel but I can't see anywhere that it shows the actual vents behind the fascia.

It's a pity, be nice to see how it works and how excited the niece is when she notices it's installed ?

Cheers,
Mac

Attachments

• 20220802_031125.jpg
    20220802_031125.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 203
Given that the vents don't come fully forwards (although they will sit in the same position ita just the cowl sita further forwards) i suspect that the wheel is simple lost behind the panel on the new one. Can we have pictures of the actual cowl please.
A standard din socket is 7 inches, Japan use the same dimension as Europe, so this head unit isn't a standard DIN at 9" and must steal an inch from the vents somehow.

OP
OP
M
What do you mean by cowl?

So, the Android screen does cover over a part of the existing vent, if it fitted...

The Micra vents are roughly 5mm too long on either side to fit into the slot they've designed the fascia for.

The crowd I bought it off keep saying to break off some plastic prongs and it'll fit but this won't work as they think, it will still sit back from the clips and the clips on the new fascia are much smaller and couldn't ever catch the vents to hold in place...

Attachments

• -360311434-790475971.jpg
    -360311434-790475971.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 20220802_124002.jpg
    20220802_124002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
  • 20220801_115725.jpg
    20220801_115725.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220801_115750.jpg
    20220801_115750.jpg
    925.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220801_115758.jpg
    20220801_115758.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • 20220802_123403.jpg
    20220802_123403.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220802_124045.jpg
    20220802_124045.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 20220802_124437.jpg
    20220802_124437.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
Thanks. Yes you are right, those are simple are not going to fit, the clips don't line up at all.

2 options, major surgery on the cowl (fascia, surround, call it what you wish, perhaps Frank) or send it back.

You could cut the slot for the vent wheel easy enough but I think I'd remove it from the vent instead. I'd then remove the upper bits of plastic to make the vent fit and see if the clips can be lined up, if yes, I'd cut them to fit, if no then I'd chop them off and plastic weld new ones on or glue the vent in.

Or what I'd possibly do is figure out a return for it then buy either a standard single din pull out unit or find a double din surround that's correct on ebay (there are a couple) and fit a 7" unit instead.

OP
OP
M
Yeah, I had thought of the return option alright...

But, it has been designed to fit some model of the Nissan Micra/March K12. I presume from it being made in China then it's the March K12...

If I could just find vents for the March K12 then I'd see if it's different, it must be surely ?

OP
OP
M
I snapped this picture, looks the same to me. Sorry its not great. It was raining.
Yeah, hard to make out but looks to have the wheels at the bottom?

And that's definitely a March import?

Then, what on earth is this dash then?

Attachments

• 20220802_031125.jpg
    20220802_031125.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
M
It's really odd so, what on earth did they design that fascia on then ?

Maybe just designed really badly, it doesn't fit any of them perhaps...

I'm still curious as to what that other dash is, there still might be another model out there ?

Thanks again for the help ??

OP
OP
M
Hi guys,

I think I'm going to try a DIY job now to fix the existing vents to the new fascia.

I'm going to go to a few dismantlers today and see if they have any K12'S for scrap. I'll take the fascia and the vents and try and attach the clips on the original fascia to the new one...

If all fails then I can just replace the new fascia and return it, fingers crossed anyway ??

A quick question, if anyone knows. The harness they sent me is wrong also, must be the harness for the Japanese version. They sent me a photo of what they think I need but I think it'll only allow one of the original harness plugs to connect to it.

Any idea what harness I'd need for the Micra to Android?

Cheers,
Mac

Attachments

• -876936526289691638.jpg
    -876936526289691638.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220803_083439.jpg
    20220803_083439.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
Only thing in the coloured block is steering wheel control. The black plug is power and speakers which is all you need for the android unit. You will also need an aerial converter but I don't know what on the back of the android unit to advise on that.

There is an adapter for getting the steering wheel to work again too but it might not work on your head unit.

Edit, roof and speed award equaliser are in the coloured block too uf you car has it.

If you find a double din fascia in the breakers grab it and we maybe can talk about a fair price. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Only thing in the coloured block is steering wheel control. The black plug is power and speakers which is all you need for the android unit. You will also need an aerial converter but I don't know what on the back of the android unit to advise on that.

There is an adapter for getting the steering wheel to work again too but it might not work on your head unit.

Edit, roof and speed award equaliser are in the coloured block too uf you car has it.

If you find a double din fascia in the breakers grab it and we maybe can talk about a fair price. ?
Cheers, I will take a look ??

Would this from Amazon do, save waiting a month for it to arrive from China?

One end is right, can't tell you for the other as I don't know what's on the back of the android unit, if the plug looks the same shape with the same number of pins you should be fine.

OP
OP
M
One end is right, can't tell you for the other as I don't know what's on the back of the android unit, if the plug looks the same shape with the same number of pins you should be fine.
Thanks, yeah, the Android side looks the same. The only issue might be the pins, might not match the Nissan Micra.

I'm afraid it was only a single din fascia. There are a good few scrap yards around here, I can inquire with them if you liked to see if any have a double din fascia?

Nar o worries. You can swap the wires round but they are a standard position so you shouldn't need to. Only ones worth checking are power which are red, yellow and black. Orange is remote input, but the micra uses a different standard. Blue Is electrical switch output for stuff like electric aerials. The other 8 are speakers.

OP
OP
M
Hi guys,

Any of you know the wiring layout for the Micra K12?

I finally got to install it today and all good except that the stereo keeps forgetting all the settings/radio stations etc... Obviously the pins need switching on the new harness...

This is it's layout attached.

Thanks,
Mac

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-202659_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-202659_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 146
OP
OP
M
Hi guys,

Meant to add pictures ages ago, worked out better than expected and the neice loves it.

Might help someone thinking of going the same route but be warned, it involves a lot of DIY...

Cheers,
Mac

Attachments

• 20221005_170438.jpg
    20221005_170438.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 233
  • 20221005_170449.jpg
    20221005_170449.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 225
I did a lot of searching with regards to upgrading the Micra into the modern age once my multi change cd player started plying up, and found a 2 din radio to experiment with, The main vent unit is slightly narrower than a modern 2 din unit , however there is enough room to re machine the sides to accept a 2 din radio, secondly the cage and surround will then fit. however I remachined the original basket to accept the radio, and connected the ISO connectors from the radio to the car's loom, upgraded the rear speakers to 90Watt Mid bass and the sound effects are just about right the the small cabin.

Attachments

• 2006 k12 micra radio plugs.jpg
    2006 k12 micra radio plugs.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 195
  • K12 Micra JVC.jpg
    K12 Micra JVC.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 142
  • JVC Upgrade.jpg
    JVC Upgrade.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 135
Hi guys,

Meant to add pictures ages ago, worked out better than expected and the neice loves it.

Might help someone thinking of going the same route but be warned, it involves a lot of DIY...

Cheers,
Mac
Hi Mac,

Impressive work. I am planning to do the same with my friends 09 Micra. How did you actually do it? Do you have any more pics to share please?

Cheers