Micra K12 53 (2003) Ignition Barrel Fault - Keyless Entry

Hi

First time poster so please bear with me.

My son's K12 Micra (53 plate with keyless entry) has developed several faults over the past few weeks. I'll mention the ignition barrel on this thread. I can start other threads for the other faults.

The key will enter the igntion barrel but will not turn to start the car. Is this a common fault?

Can I replace it with a second hand ignition barrel and if so, does it have to be from a K12 with keyless entry or can I use one from a non keyless entry K12?

Thank you all in advance.

MI

Hi

First time poster so please bear with me.

My son's K12 Micra (53 plate with keyless entry) has developed several faults over the past few weeks. I'll mention the ignition barrel on this thread. I can start other threads for the other faults.

The key will enter the igntion barrel but will not turn to start the car. Is this a common fault?

Can I replace it with a second hand ignition barrel and if so, does it have to be from a K12 with keyless entry or can I use one from a non keyless entry K12?

Thank you all in advance.

MI
Hi, Firstly I have to say sorry because I can't help with your problem. My reason for this reply is that my granddaughter has just bought one of these and is having the exact same problem. So my question to you have you resolved the problem and if so can you let me know how please.

Regards brian

Hello,

Recently, a friend of mine had a few problems with K12's ignition barrel.

- Simply put, if the key/knob TURNS all the way but the car doesn't start, the problem probably is with the contacts behind the barrel. You will need to replace the contacts. It's a bit tricky though.
- If the key/knob DOES NOT TURN all the way and on the dashboard the red key symbol doen't disappear (NO GREEN "KEY" LIGHT), the problem is with the electronics/immobilizer/key chip/key battery.
- If the key/knob DOES NOT TURN all the way and on the dashboard the GREEN "KEY" INDICATOR IS LIT, then it is probably a mechanical problem with the steering wheel locking mechanism. It's an issue almost any locksmith can solve. Fortunately, our case was exactly that and a local locksmith was able to fix it for only 10 EURO (I'm in Bulgaria).

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Philip

Back