Micra K12 2004 Running rich

Hello everyone.

My sister has just had here Nissan Micra K12 2004 1240cc petrol model fail it's MOT on the emissions, the car itself is well maintained regular services and sub 100k.

1st Fast Idle

CO 0.95% max is 0.2%

HC 277ppm max is 200ppm

Lambda =0.97 (min is 0.97)

2nd Fast Idle

CO 4.8% max is 0.2%

HC 849ppm max is 200ppm

Lambda =0.83 (min is 0.97)

Natural idle

CO 0.57% limit 0.3%

No engine warning lights. It's developing blue smoke, on acceleration (looks more white to me). I'm guessing that one of the lambda/oxygen sensors is broken. Which would make it run rich, which would fill the oil scraper rings with carbon thus burning oil. So I decided to disconnect both lambda sensors and rev up the car to try to burn off the crap. But it didn't work. Still loads of white smoke and I got acute CO poisoning and had to have a lie down.

Also another thing I should point out, my sister melted the intake pipe that runs to the airbox. Maybe this got some burnt plastic on the air-flow sensors? I'm not sure. Anyway I'm ordered a code reader and will take a look what it says.

Has anybody had a similar problem? Any idea what the likely problem is?

Thanks!

Update. running rich with the 2nd Lambda sensor reading lean on the OBD. Tried getting it off but it's rusted on solid. We've tried penetrating oil (plusgas) & a blowtorch as well but no luck. Now the sensor is getting rounded. I'm not sure what to try now....

Back