Micra K12 1.0 E, 03, starting problem!!

Riiight, long story with this one.

Basically car wasn't working, took it to me mechinic said it was a electric problem, checked it at a differenet mechanic, they said it was the camshaft sensor, they erased the code, and it worked fine for about 2 weeks, after that same problem, would only work if i kept trying to start it for about 20 minutes reving it. Then I discovered if I removed the camsensor, it worked, but with less power, lower idles and just gets to the revs a lot slower. I couldnt go on the motorway or anything but hey it worked. Ran it like that for a while, discovered if I put my revs up to 6000 or so for a minute or so, then after conecting the sensor, sometimes the car would work IF i put my foot all the way down. Anyway, eventually got the sensors replaced. Oh yea forgot to mention, my mechanic took apart the engine and checked the chain belt, and it wasn't that. And spark plugs weren't the issue also, cause they were good platinum ones.

Anyway, before when the sensor was connected, it would fire a bit, bit by bit, but the idle wouldn't go past 1000 rpm, and the car would not start, it would seem like little bits of fuel was kicking in, but if sensor wasn't connected it wouldnt work.

now i've connected the sensor and its a working sensor, when i try start it with it connected it doesn't fire at all, when i put my foot all the way down, it just turns over and over, idle meter doesn't move even a tiny bit.

Disconnected it still works.

Also to mention my micra is a k12 1.0 e. But the fuel consumption was like a 2.0 petrol engine that my dad has.

Im thinking it may be the fuel filter? Because I did run it till the fuel gauge was empty like...2 or 3 times....

I want to try change the fuel filter, but not sure where it is exactly located?? any help on that?

Or any advice on what could be wrong?

Other than that to be honest, the car is perfect .

Mechanic checked it out and said not chain belt, took apart engine for me and said, why would he say no if it was cause he could make a lotta money? Plus...hes a personal friend...

It sounds very much like a timing problem to be, did yor friend say how far the chain tensioner was sticking out? maybe the camshaft sensor pick up plate on the end of the cam as moved, or even the problem could be the crank sensor pick up plate on fly wheel, but you need find out the mesurement of how much the tensioner was sticking out for the timing chain.