Micra Gearbox

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum after acquiring a Micra 1.0 K11 on an 03 plate. The car is not without its problems although thankfully some if them are minor like the need for a new cv joint on the offside and replacement of brake pads etc. However there is a whining noise coming from the gearbox at and above around 40mph. I suspect it may be a bearing issue and I am considering changing the gearbox, the car has done 100,000 miles or thereabouts.

My question is I have seen a gearbox from a 1.0 1998 K11 and the guy selling it says it's from the 14" wheel version. My understanding is that the gearbox didn't change from 98 to 02/03 but I could be wrong, will it fit my car?

Thanks

Thanks frank. The 1.0l gearboxes seem hard to get a hold of, decent ones that is. The prices some people want for them make my eyes water.

Any ideas where I can get one from?

one of the yards i use shipped all the coilpack boxes they could find to germany (for fitment to n16 1.5,s apparently) so they fetch a premium around here
has yours got the starter mounted under the inlet mani ?

In all honesty I haven't looked at the location of the starter frank. My initial thoughts were that a wheel bearing was causing the noise but if I touch the gearstick moving from 4th to 5th there is a sound that is best described as a high pitched metallic noise like there is no lubrication between two spinning metal surfaces.

So I'm guessing it's a gearbox bearing issue

a buzz in the gearstick mate ? and the starter is mounted on the other side of the g/box on the pre coilpack models

It's like grinding, if I hold the gearstick or move it to the the left or right when in any particular gear you can hear it. It's similar to when a release bearing is knackered that kind of noise.

it might be the rubbers on the gearchange staybar mate ? i would check that the "s" bends on the gearchange rods are,nt touching each other

Nice thought frank, I hadn't thought about that. Do you think that possibly I'm jumping to conclusions with the whining noise at 40mph. I'm assuming it's the gearbox only because I've never experienced a wheel bearing making a whining noise at that speed, always been led to believe they make a rumbling noise.

This is the first micra I've owned after having bigger more powerful cars, I absolutely love it. Even though it's only a 1.0l it's immense fun to drive and would love to sort it's problems

Back