Micra Cut Out And Will Not Start, Please Help!

S

smarty

My g/friend's 1.0 K11 has just cutout tonight and it will not start. I had just got in it and it started first time, I lifted up the clutch the car moved about 2 feet then died. The car refuses to start, it is turning over but just will not start. It seems as though it is getting no fuel or an ignition problem:down:

When I turn the ignition key I cannot here the fuel pump priming. I cannot remember if it is really prominent to hear on these cars anyway, I know it is on my Honda Civic. Should I expect to hear a noise of the pump priming on a 1.0 K11 1995 car? It was very dark so I couldn't really take a good look around the car. It is maybe better to take it to a garage as I guess it could be anything. I was just trying to think logically I guess. I remember reading that fuel pumps are a weak point on these cars, as are throttle bodies. If the the throttle body had went would it behave like this or just run like a bag of crap?

The other thing that makes me think fuel related is I have had a problem with this car sometimes in the damp (not very often) but it will not start but you can hear it trying too, eventually it starts and runs on three cylinders and clears itself, but it smells really bad of fuel as I keep the throttle floored all the time when I am trying to start it. I have had the throttle floored all the time when trying to start the car tonight and can smell very little. I understand this problem is caused by damp in the plug leads or something it does it very rarely though.

I was just wondering how could I tell if the fuel pumps was knackered? Could I take a hose off the fuel filter or something and try to start it, and see if fuel goes everywhere? I work on cars quite a bit, and was wondering how difficult is a fuel pump to change in a Micra?

The other problem is the car has an aftermarket immobiliser but this has never been a problem:glance:

Any ideas please anybody, please help :down:

Have you tested for a spark? Seems like it has not flooded if you are trying to start with the throttle floored, yuou might as well try removing the fuel pump fuse anyway. Sounds like it could be a problem with the immobiliser though, if there is no fuel getting to the engine then you may have a problem with the wiring where the immobiliser has been spliced in, the ECU is under the central console, close to the bulkhead on the floor, check all wiring here, I have heard of this being a problem.
If that is alright you chould check that there is a voltage going through the fuse in the car (the box is low down on the right hand side by the steering wheel). If there is power here, then the relay may be knackered, it is the large green one that is below the fusebox (it is roughly that area), you should be able to hear it clicking if it works. Failing that, check that there is a voltage over the fuel pump, a bit of a pain to get to as it is below the rear bench.
Hope this helps, but as I said, my money is on the immobiliser having buggered things up somehow,
Craig :)

Cheers Craig I will check all this will have to get a voltmeter from somewhere. Failing that it is going to have to go to a Nissan main stealer :down:

Thanks for the help Craig I checked everything out using a voltmeter and it is the actual fuel pump that is sh@gged. I gave the housing a knock and the car started (after a good few knocks) I am going to replace this as soon as possible as I have a feeling the car could let me down again very soon. Only problem is the pumps are not that cheap, and I do not want second hand gear. Anyone know of any online retailers that sell them at a reasonable price. Thanks again Craig BTW :laugh:

Bummer, you could always try eBay, although the gear on there is most likely 2nd hand anyway, I would just get a new one from a scrappy, won't cost very much and should last as well

I know there is a site called http://www.partsinabox.co.uk/ some of my mazda driving friends got some really really cheap parts there.

Back