Micra 1.2 DTC Codes (P0340 & P0011)

Morning all,

My girlfriends EML came on last week, she took it to a local Nissan dealer and it was put on the computer. Came out with two codes, P0340 and P0011. I know from a bit of searching that it could possibly be the timing chain.

However, the car is in A1 condition, only 42k miles with full service history (last service just done 3 months ago). She hasnt experienced any loss of power, idle issues nor can she hear any unsual noise from the engine bay to suggest the chain in streched.

I am not quite 100% convinced it is the chain, what else is worth checking/chaining prior to looking at having the chain changed?

I have attached link to the print out from the garage for comment.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/shakeystevo/ComputerPrintOut.jpg

Thanks in advance :laugh:

Andrew

hi andrew, the only way to know for sure is to measure the extension of the chain tensioner really, about a 1 hr job for a small garage :grinning:
and i think it will flag up an out of sync sensor fault long before starting to rattle

Thanks Frank.

Any guides anywhere on how to check it yourself?? Could take it to a garage but think I would be confident in checking it myself, put the money towards the timing chain change lol

Andrew

the cg,s have got a cover/plate above the pulleys/belts andrew, i think the cr,s have the same setup (tho you have 1 long single chain instead of 2, so the tensioner will be lower down)
and the service limit is 10mm extension iirc :grinning:

If the chain was stretched, then chances are you would feel a difference in performance in the car such as laggy acceleration when pulling away and an erratic idle.
It could be a faulty crank sensor which i think brings up the same error code , which would be cheaper to replace first but if the same error code appears afterwards then it could be a stretched chain. But if the tensioner is measured and is protruding more than about 10mm then the chain needs changed.

If the chain was stretched, then chances are you would feel a difference in performance in the car such as laggy acceleration when pulling away and an erratic idle.
It could be a faulty crank sensor which i think brings up the same error code , which would be cheaper to replace first but if the same error code appears afterwards then it could be a stretched chain. But if the tensioner is measured and is protruding more than about 10mm then the chain needs changed.

the rough running occurs when the chain has stretched far enough to cause the cam sensor to be out of sync with the crank sensor SJ, the ecu will then flag up a fault and start to go into limp mode i believe :eek:

Yeah, on the N16 QG15's as you know its a common problem. It runs rubbish and flags up an error code for one of the sensors, and sometimes it is just a nackered sensor. But most the time the chain has stretched...
I havent heard of it going into limp mode though

Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated.

The car deff isn't performing poorly or having idle issues because I've drove it to get a indication of any issues.

I'll have a check of tensioner and see if its out more that 10mm.

Does anyone have a picture of the tensioner and where to measure from. Apologies as I've never dealt with chains etc... Lol

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Hi Andrew PM me for details of how and where to check. FYI An oscilloscope can diagnose this too without getting dirty, lol Even low mileage chains stretch the reason is this:-
Unburn hydrocarbons attack the chains and they go weak.

Hi Andrew did you solve this issue? I only ask because I have the same codes on an 04 Micra. It only happens from a cold start and the idle is up and down for the first minute or so. After that the car runs fine. I tried a new cam sensor but the car wouldn't even start (just fired up quicker than normal).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Back