• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

mcgregornw's 1.0 Twister

Hi there, I have been a member for a few months know and have enjoyed reading through the other blogs and DIY guides for advice. Some of you also may have seen the odd question I have asked here and there.

I decided it was about time I actually started to put some of this advice to use and make some progress on my micra, especially now the weather is slightly less frosty!

Here are a few pics of the car, almost as I got it.

DSCF2848.jpg

DSCF2846.jpg

DSCF2845.jpg

DSCF2847.jpg

The only thing in those pics that I have done to the car other than wash it is to add headlight protectors. I have also changed the dash and heater control bulbs to blue LEDs. I have a steering wheel to fit (from shero) and I have also changed the parcel shelf for one with stock speakers.

I have got the offer of some 15" alloys and will probably take them. Have to order some nuts before I can try them on the car properly. Here is a pic.

DSCF2849.jpg

I will photoshop them onto the car and also try to edit the pics to show how I would like the car to look when I am finished but at the moment I am on my netbook which can barely run the o/s never mind picture editing!

euro_micra

Matt :)
:eek: I like seeing a blue facelift blog from the start, reminds me of mine.

Wheels should look good mcgregornw, these facelifts seem to pull off pretty much every style of wheel with ease, especially when lowered:wasntme:

Have you got any other future plans for it?

Want to attempt a smooth boot and try to smooth out other parts, smoke lights, colour code door handles and mirrors.

I was thinking about led indicators on mirrors and smoothing over the oval ones on the side but not sure how legal it is. Sure I have seen it on more modern cars though.

I'm not going to lower it for now. It's a family car first so any mods have to be pram and car seat friendly.

I have bought fog lights to add to front bumper so when they arrive that's my next job.

lovely colour mate, (Y)

as for the indicators, yup you can do that. aslong as the indicator can be seen from the front and the side then you'll have no problems with the law. but i think you should leave that mod mate. its only my opinion pal but i think it looks a bit tacky. if you really wanna change the mirrors i'd say some dtm cups, leave them black then paint those wheels to match. paint the inside of your headlights black too. sorry man but i'm so gay for black. :p

I wasn't convinced either way about the indicator mod. I'll prob end up with smoked ones on the side.

I was planning on painting the alloys black if i go for them. They are from my sisters old Clio and are in top condition. One little nick on one wheel and good tires on all. Just waiting to see what money she wants for them.

I had also thought about painting the grill inserts black. Not keen on the chrome.

I also have a central locking kit to install but had a bit of trouble finding somewhere to place the solenoid in the facelift door. If anyone has done this on a facelift could they please show me a pic or a link.

Cheers!

smoked is good mate, just dont go too dark. shes your sis so i reckon she'll do you a good price eh?
the black grills look sweet mate. not sure on the locking mate. is it a universal kit? usually you get some metal brackets that you cut to fit.

/yeah, hoping for a good price!

It is a universal kit and it did come with the brackets but the facelift door is different from the pre so the place shown in the guide on here doesn't exist. Had a go but decided I'd leave it for another day.

If I get some time off work and a dry day I will have another look at it and take plenty pics incase I get lucky and it works! lol!

Ok, another wee update!

I got my new wiper part today so it has now been fixed.

It means I can now try to fix the damage this has done to my bonnet. Not too much but worth fixing!

I also forgot to mention when I started the blog that I have fitted a cone filter, strut brace and attempted painting my rocker cover but it hasn't come out the best.

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
I used to have those same exact alloys, when I had mine I bought for just 50 quid.

What else are you planning to do?

Sorry about the lack of recent updates!

The alloys have been forgotten about. I had them on for a few days and they were scraping the arches when I went over bumps at any speed so for now I have painted my wheels black and have the centre caps on that I picked up from a scrappies months ago for £4

I am now 3/4s of the way through fitting my central locking. The front doors are a pain in the neck for fitting them in but I reckon that the reason I have had trouble is because the doors are smaller than a 3 dr so not as much room. Anyway both drivers side doors are fitted and wired, the rear passenger side door is also fitted but not wired so weather permitting this will all be finished tomorrow.

The reason I have had a sudden boost at doing the locking as after locking my keys in the car last week! I must have opened driver door, unlocked rear door, locked drives door then when I was finished in back of the car locked the rear door and left keys in back. Didn't notice for a few hours and gutted my house completely. I ended up calling Green Flag as I have free cover from them with my bank account, it also turns out had I lost my keys I would have also been covered to get new keys and locks replaced if need by another benefit from my account.

I am also hoping to finish removing the bump strips and badges and pop by the scrappies for the boot handle from the pre facelift they have. Then I can get my smooth boot started.

I also have a bid on a short shifter on ebay, there are a few of these that have started fairly cheap just now.

I am also on the lookout for some cheap alloys, as good as I can get for little money. Also as close as possible to save postage.

Anyway I will hopefully have an update tomorrow with working central locking!

Ok, so I won the auction for the Pulsar short shifter tonight, looking forward to receiving it and getting it fitted.

I also still have to try and find a cheapish front super s bumper to fit the fogs I have or try and fit them to my bumper. Along with that I still have a steering wheel to get fitted.

On a plus the central locking is all fitted and working, just need to get it wired up. Am I best to take this straight to the battery or is there an always on wire that it would be safe to connect this to?

doing good mate selling my wheels after this weekend if ur intrested im abit far but i can post for 20quid! have alook in my blog i want 50 quid for um with decent tyers

My short shifter arrived today! Have also just won an auction for a SR spoiler for 99p and a boot/fuel cap release set too. Will get these delivered soon hopefully and get them sprayed and fitted.

Has anyone here added the boot/fuel release before? I could do with some advice!

Also gonna look somewhere for help to fit my steering wheel and short shifter. I don't have the tools needed so it's probably easier to get some help for now.

Any chance of the pics of those alloys, tyre tread too if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Do you have an airbag... because now your gonna have a shiny light on. also insurance companies won't love you anymore... :laugh:

Yeah and yeah, have only been considering the wheel but after buying it kinda thought I should. Will have a think.

I still need to wire the central locking up to the power. Need to buy more wire and get some nice weather...

So my spoiler arrived today with a crack in it. Not happy at all. It was only 99p but postage was £20 and seller only paid £7 odd. Emailing him anyway as he sent an item meant for someone else to me and i need to forward it for him.

I also got a replacement door handle as I broke one when my keys were locked in the back seat :( so tomorrow I will hopefully colour code these and fit new one. Also got a pre facelift boot handle which I will colour code and fit a boot release similar to euro_micra's with a little twist of my own.

Will hopefully get some pics of what I am doing up soon.

did I? :wasntme:

That's gonna take a wee bit of work as there is no hole drilled for the handle. I have sprayed the fuel cap cover to match, just needs lacquered now.

Will try and get some pics tomorrow. Should have the boot handle colour matched but not fitting it till I have tidied up the rest of the boot (wiper removed and filled and tidied up some rust them will attempt a spray.

Not sure what to do about my spoiler. The one I have on now has a crap up the middle so do I try and get money back from sr spoiler seller to fix it or sell it on and look for a whole one?

Anyway will try to get pics of all tomorrow!

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
So my spoiler arrived today with a crack in it. Not happy at all. It was only 99p but postage was £20 and seller only paid £7 odd. Emailing him anyway as he sent an item meant for someone else to me and i need to forward it for him.

Thats me. I got the spoiler delivered to me on Friday. I didn't un wrap it, just relabeled it with the correct address (after chatting to the seller on the phone) and got it back in the post that afternoon. He's paypaled me the cost of re-posting so I'm perfectly happy at the moment with how he has delt with the mess up. If you could get the package meant for me in the post asap that would be most appreciated - I can even give you the correct address. The seller is a bit slow on the responding to e-mails - but if you do the user contact info search it'll give you his current phone number.

I meant to post it today but got very distracted with kids (before the micra came into things) but will post tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to work something out with him.

Mark I posted your dials today, sorry for the delay.

Also weather a bit rubbish for painting today so no updates :( working all day tomorrow but don't start till 5 on friday so fingers crossed we have sun!

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Thanks matey. I hope the seller sorts your end out to you satisfaction. He seemed sound to me when I spoke to him.

is this the wob_ert selly as in robert on here i got my stuff all fine wasnt the best wrapped but io was satisfied

and it was posted by parcel force 48 hr

Right! the painting of the pre facelift boot handle and fule cap flap has been finished after yesterdays awesome weather.

a39f7ae2.jpg

8b89d119.jpg

I fitted the boot handle as a test this evening along with some led number plate bulbs and plugged the hole from the wiper being removed with a 10p coin in the rubber fixing for the wiper. I didn't take a pic as the whole boot needs to be washed and t cut as removing the old boot handle left marks. The boot actually needs a bit of work to repair some rust so I will need to get some more paint mixed up and a bit of time to de lock then sort the boot all at once!

Pretty well, there is a noticeable difference with the boot handle to the boot as it needs a good clean and polish but when I tried the filler flap on it looked really close

Ok, so today I finished fitting the boot/ fuel release cable. Was a bit more hassle as the bit for drilling holes I have is blunt. I found this out after taking the front seat out so had a walk to the shops to see what the ironmongers had... Nothing!

Not like me to give up so drilled loads of little holes and managed to pop it out with a bit of brute force.

So it's all fitted now and working. Needs adjusting here and there.

That's all I'm doing today as me, my wife and 2 kids (3 and 9 mnths) are all full of the cold and are knackered from a night of barely any sleep. What a way to spend 3 days off!

Ok, sorry for the lack of updates again!

I have been working like a b***h at work and helping my wife prepare stationary for a friends wedding we had at the weekend.

On my way home from work the other day I hit a verge! noticed a knocking but the car still drives straight. I investigate a bit further today and the only damage seems to be the pic below

1bf41924.jpg

Anyone able to tell me exactly what I need to get to fix this? I wasn't sure if I need the full part or just the part to replace the broken connector?

Think I've ended up lucky!

I also got a boot light from the scrappies the other week, I have the wiring and place to fit it but don't know what else I need. I got the boot latch with wiring when I fitted the boot release cable but there is nowhere for that wiring to connect to. I thought it seemed strange to have one but not the other. If anyone can she some (boot) light on this would be great!!

Thanks very much!!

Thanks very much!!

Just found these on ebay so will order when I get paid.

The bad points of working up a glen! Although the roads are great at 1am when empty at 3 in the afternoon they are a bit busier so gotta be a bit more careful!

Apologies for the lack of updates of late, I was having a lot of problems with my previous employer but have recently started as a postie in the town I stay in so my car is no longer used daily. Means I can start a few bigger mods!

Looking into lowering it. Nothing definite yet but need something cheap and not too low as I still have a fair bit of weight in the car when it is in use!

Also want either SR alloys or am more interested in Mini style wheels! Am I correct in thinking 13"s fit fine but 12" need spacers? Is this likely to mean arches also?

Daniel

I WILL be back...
12"alloys won't fit over the front calipers as far as I'm aware, 13" is the lowest you can go. And if you're planning on lowering, you can probably go fairly low without having to flare the arches (depending on the width). You would need to roll the arches though, because they may scrub on bumps when lowered

Stani1029

Club Member
I know someone who had a set or sr wheels. You want me to find out if he still has them? Afterall your only 20 miles away

Firstly, Stani I'm sorry. I only noticed your post today. Sorry for not getting in touch sooner!

Secondly I'm selling up! Over the next few months the micra will be returned to close to stock and sold on. If there are any parts people want feel free to pm me. I will be selling the following (and poss more when I go through my shed!)

pre-facelift boot handle
short shifter
2 sets of rear lights
n15 airbox & k&n filter
headlight protectors
steering wheel & boss
front spats
clear side repeaters

think thats it, complete list and for sale thread to follow!

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Bad news, thoI would be interested in the handle, the short shift the hl protectors and the clear side rep, how much posted mate?

Ok, sorry for the lack of updates again!

I have been working like a b***h at work and helping my wife prepare stationary for a friends wedding we had at the weekend.

On my way home from work the other day I hit a verge! noticed a knocking but the car still drives straight. I investigate a bit further today and the only damage seems to be the pic below

1bf41924.jpg

Anyone able to tell me exactly what I need to get to fix this? I wasn't sure if I need the full part or just the part to replace the broken connector?

Think I've ended up lucky!

I also got a boot light from the scrappies the other week, I have the wiring and place to fit it but don't know what else I need. I got the boot latch with wiring when I fitted the boot release cable but there is nowhere for that wiring to connect to. I thought it seemed strange to have one but not the other. If anyone can she some (boot) light on this would be great!!

Thanks very much!!

mines got the exact same problem lols. jacked the car up took the wheel off and wtf!?!? :blues: doesnt feel any different though driving

Well firstly apologies for the lack of updates but after we found out we are expecting outr third child the micra project ended as I knew I would have to replace it with something bigger. I had spoken to a few people about selling up and had the odd little bit of interest. Then I reversed into a van :( car is written off by insurer and was given a lot more than any offers so I can't complain there!

the car was taken away today and the money will be in my bank by friday so a weekend of car hunting ahead! Any suggestions for 3 car seats in rear? Dont want to have to go for something with a huge engine but obviously with the size of car and weight of passengers a 1 litre isnt going to do it...

All my stuff will be on ebay shortly so will let you know and if anything mentioned in the blog is of interest let me know.