• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Max's Super S

To be honest I'd source some new bolts first, get those olds out using necessary force and the drill out/re-tap the holes.

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Gonna have to resort to power tools...
an hour and a half of swearing and bashing did nothing

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Okay, got the front end back on with the new grill :D
Looks like a car again. Dropping the car off at a friends for some welding this weekend, will have it back in a couple of weeks. Nearly MOT time. Final checks, brake pads as I've got some spare, and something else but I forgot :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 392
OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Going to get another micra tomorrow as a spares car. From what I've seen the car has a mint shell, just a blown engine.
Civic R seats and harnesses
4-2-1 manifold
Race cams
Spax suspension

Depending on what the quote for the welding is tomorrow, a reshell might need to happen with the Super S engine into this 1.0 inspiration shell to create some sort of Frankenstein.

I want the Super S to live, and I have a good stack of cash for the welding, but I have to be realistic and know when enough is enough and it's just not worth spending money on "just a micra" Super S or not.
The shell will be assessed tomorrow and I'll get a quote for the work done on the Super S.
It's not looking good for my little red motor.
Feeling a bit down about that if I'm honest.

The Super S is just a trim level. There's nothing special about the shell. If the shell is too far gone, then just take all the nice bits out and drop it into a clean shell. Just make sure it's properly rust proofed before you put the bits onto it so it won't happen again.

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
The Super S is just a trim level. There's nothing special about the shell. If the shell is too far gone, then just take all the nice bits out and drop it into a clean shell. Just make sure it's properly rust proofed before you put the bits onto it so it won't happen again.
That's the sensible option, and if I wasn't so sentimental it wouldn't be a choice, I'd just get on with it

Love_Whiskey

Super S Restorer
Be moar sentimental.

Save this wee beastie. You know where Super S matters most? On the V5 and in your heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Be moar sentimental.

Save this wee beastie. You know where Super S matters most? On the V5 and in your heart.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not
As a fellow Super S owner I hope you are
Doesn't matter to anyone else but me, and it's my car :)

Clodo

Club Member
Going to get another micra tomorrow as a spares car. From what I've seen the car has a mint shell, just a blown engine.
Civic R seats and harnesses
4-2-1 manifold
Race cams
Spax suspension

Depending on what the quote for the welding is tomorrow, a reshell might need to happen with the Super S engine into this 1.0 inspiration shell to create some sort of Frankenstein.

I want the Super S to live, and I have a good stack of cash for the welding, but I have to be realistic and know when enough is enough and it's just not worth spending money on "just a micra" Super S or not.
The shell will be assessed tomorrow and I'll get a quote for the work done on the Super S.
It's not looking good for my little red motor.
Feeling a bit down about that if I'm honest.

Ooooooo pictures :D x

Love_Whiskey

Super S Restorer
I can't tell if you're being serious or not
As a fellow Super S owner I hope you are
Doesn't matter to anyone else but me, and it's my car :)

I think I was being serious. And also joking in a way. We know it's a Micra, and it's not JDM. And performs just like any other 1.3, just with extra plastic and different shaped bits.

But in 40 years, somebody will want a Micra as a "quirky" and different way to get around. And SR/SS Models will be the most sought after. I'm not keeping mine for mega bucks because it won't be worth it. But I genuinely want to save it and look after it just for the sake of history etc.

I don't think it was ever quite the car it should have been. The stock car was not spunky enough to be a serious hot hatch and that's a real shame.

But I will make it worthwhile to own and drive, and I hope you do too :)

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
So. Micra #3 picked up today. Pictures in a bit.
I've just had this text through from my guy who's doing the welding.

"The front drivers side outrigger is bad and gone through the floor. Both inner sills at the back need doing too to get it all completely rust free. On the plus side the front panel just bolts on so I can leave it to you to fit or I will do it if you want. Just thought I'd let you know. There's a lot of work but possible. It's difficult to estimate exactly how long it will take but to do all the work to top level quality without bodging it, it's looking at around £500 for all of it maybe more or less. I think my dad has some photos I can try get him to send them to you or you can come and have a look tomorrow afternoon with it on the ramp. "

Financially this makes no sense to put back on the road, and I should probably give up. But I'm going to give this some long hard thought.

Alternatively, you could use the opportunity to learn to weld :)

Its difficult at first, but the more confident you get the more it seems worth it!

I wish I had started sooner whilst I had more free time, I rarely get the practice I need nowadays :(

Love_Whiskey

Super S Restorer
At the end of the day Max this is your money and your decision.

But I have a feeling mine will need a bit of welding, and I'm going to pay for it :)

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Right so
Due to this, the rust being MUCH worse than anticipated, the shell is basically unusable. I've come to the decision it's not sensible to save it when I've got a spare shell (I'll get to that in a bit) sat on the drive. Sorry Super S fans.
2m5gtfk.jpg

2pridu1.jpg

You get the idea.

Her final trip on the road. Was quite sad to be honest, I get really sentimental and emotionally attached to objects.
20fcaxx.jpg

So here she is, managed to get a good deal, as the engine is blown. Regarding THIS shell is solid, didn't check because I was just going to break it for parts, this'll be the new autotest car.
But:
CG13
Spax suspension (Although we think the rear springs are on upside down, so that'll have to be done anyway. *Facepalm*)
Civic Type R seats and harnesses, yet to find out how solid they are
4-2-1 manifold, Ashley, I think.
Reground 1.3 cams with 8.5mm lift (apparently, I've no idea)
JUN lightened flywheel
A straight through exhaust which is coming off ASAP!!
Several other bits, that were just piled into the car, and I haven't had a chance to look properly yet.
Just a note, I'll have quite a lot of spares, some aftermarket bits, and general items for sale during and after this build, so let me know if you need anything.
301czl1.jpg

o9lbnp.jpg

rm19gj.jpg

Hopefully this shell is solid, and usable, otherwise I'll have two useless Micras.
Plans: Engine swap. Super S engine into the 1.0 inspiration shell, with the 1.0 gearbox.
Prefacelift conversion with the Super S body kit
Paint it.
My original plans were to be out on a 12 car on the 24th of April, that's not going to happen now. but hopefully Frankenstein will be on the road in no time.
Going to be a big project, luckily I've got my dad doing most of it, as I wouldn't know where to start.
I've started stripping the Super S already, Passenger side door card was raided for a speaker because I blew one in my daily... And the battery and most of the airbox is off, sadly I then ran out of light, and will have to be continued either tuesday or wednesday when I can confirm the silver shell is usable.

Thanks for reading, that's the blog completely up to date.
Sorry Super S fans, I did try, I tried hard.

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
So, been a long time coming. There's a million engine removal threads on here so I thought I'd jump to the end.
18696_697614980382691_3353324784533606033_n.jpg

CG13DE Selfie
10365844_697617047049151_6761719617295502300_n.jpg

11169891_697616933715829_5636342023910716369_n.jpg

11138617_697616973715825_2057126491587092686_n.jpg

And finally shoved everything into the garage.
1908345_697617207049135_8803810813845826116_n.jpg

Onto the next phase:
In two weeks I'm getting a garage to store the car this engine will go into. Until then the Super S is being used as a shed. Everything is coming off, the doors, the boot and the bumper - all of which are going onto the new shell and will be resprayed at some point.
Until then I'll be looking at making the engine look a little more presentable, and maybe doing a service while it's out of the car.
That's it for now folks :)

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
I need to urmm.. Make some room in the garage...
I'll start by putting the Starlet on the road ;)

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
After attacking this for a couple of days ...
zo9h5c.jpg

vi0gsy.jpg

Came out much easier than the other.

Time to see the similarities and differences of the two engines, and start rebuilding. More soon :)

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Need some new inlet and exhaust gaskets and can't for the life of me find any, anyone know where to get em from?
New power steering belt turned up today, another thing to cross off the list.
Any other recommendations of things we may need during the engine swap?

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Just ordered a new clutch for my 1.0 gearbox, hopefully the knackered one hasn't damaged the lightened flywheel!

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
New clutch on way, soon to be back on track.
Navigating for a member of the motor club I'm with on a 12 car road rally this Friday to get some practice in for when we go out in this car, can't wait :)

Clodo

Club Member
Start the car up and pull each ht lead out one at a time sweet :) if it is a misfire you will pull a lead out and nothing will change :) x

OP
OP
MaxK11C

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Trying to do the starlet boys proud, and trying to win car of the stand. Only a little local show but still alright :)