Max micra MOT spend ?

Hi Folks,
Would be really interesting on hearing people's thoughts on what the average maximum spend would be to get an 18 year old micra through its MOT. ?
Personally, with up to two or three small jobs and a the MOt fee included, I would say it would be worth spending up to £150 total. This seems reasonable as another one can be picked up for this with some MOT still on it.
What would others see as max they would spend to get their beloved micra through a MOT before contemplating sending their beloved micra to on a one way ticket to the final micra resting place.!

Hi Folks,
Would be really interesting on hearing people's thoughts on what the average maximum spend would be to get an 18 year old micra through its MOT. ?
Personally, with up to two or three small jobs and a the MOt fee included, I would say it would be worth spending up to £150 total. This seems reasonable as another one can be picked up for this with some MOT still on it.
What would others see as max they would spend to get their beloved micra through a MOT before contemplating sending their beloved micra to on a one way ticket to the final micra resting place.!
First check and poke the car over first , ect. Simple things , second is do it yourself , stuff like pads ,discs , rear shocks and coils, bulbs , lights , ect are all easy and cheap to do , micras will mostly fail on corrosion and brake pipes ,
It depends on the car , and how the garage treats it , for example some garages half arse work at top ££ that shortens the life , or make out the car is worse than is ,

I spent near 1k on mine last year but it was a alot of work mods ect and this mot only washed it and adjusted the handbrake ,still fine ,

But I'd say £100 but that's me doing the work and depends on the car , how bad /good, i hate or like , so £150 be about right within reason .
What you recon is up with yours ?,

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Well I'm going to say 200 tyres done wipers. Needs the service also then MOT I'm gonna say I think it will be about 300 + ish in my case provided everything is in good working order.

I want to have piece of mind that everything's safe as a new driver. And know where I need to be looking. To replace in future Via a professional view.
This is the route I'm about to take. To save me from working on the vehicle for many hours without knowing if I'm wasting time or not.

(Could be an expensive choice but maybe smart move)

Last edited:
over the years I've owned mine, most have sailed through with just the £30 fee, and it's failed a few times costing additionally around £80 each time for welding or brakes.

Insurance adjusters or garages tend to look at cars using their sale value, how much you would get for it if you sold it versus how much the repairs cost. Insurance will write it off for repairs totaling 50% to 70% of the cars value and most garages will just tell you it's not worth it for a similar amount. If the car is worth £500 that equates to £250 to £350 repairs max and for most old micra's £500 valuation is generous, even though when I got it it was worth more, I paid £1400, so it can be hard to see it as being worth less now.

My opinion is a bit different to insurance people. Firstly because I like the car and I'm attached to it, but second because I'm working out how much the car is costing me over the whole time. If I went out and bought a new car I would be making payments around £200-300 per month. If I got another used one there's an outlay of £500 to £2000 or so right off the bat, and then I don't know the car well or it's history so no telling what sort of work it's going to need. but, even if I spend £500 on getting my car through the MOT despite it only being worth £500 - at the end of that I have a car with a history which I already know, saves the hassle of buying another car, and allows me to save up more so that when I do eventually buy brand new I can get something nicer. I'd much rather keep mine going as long as possible and at the same time putting £100 per month into a savings account for my next car. So even a huge spend for an MOT on an old car of £500 in the mechanics is only £41 a month for that year, I could easy spend that much on pints on a weekend

Last edited:
I'm going to take mine to a company called tyre and auto care.
The garage looks professional.
Will see how it goes and maybe use them in the future for the corsa..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
First check and poke the car over first , ect. Simple things , second is do it yourself , stuff like pads ,discs , rear shocks and coils, bulbs , lights , ect are all easy and cheap to do , micras will mostly fail on corrosion and brake pipes ,
It depends on the car , and how the garage treats it , for example some garages half arse work at top ££ that shortens the life , or make out the car is worse than is ,

I spent near 1k on mine last year but it was a alot of work mods ect and this mot only washed it and adjusted the handbrake ,still fine ,

But I'd say £100 but that's me doing the work and depends on the car , how bad /good, i hate or like , so £150 be about right within reason .
What you recon is up with yours ?,

Fair point there Nis boy, cheers.
Over the last four year, My micra just usually needs a small patch or two yearly around the usual rear sills area (£25 for a small patch). Also, a rubber boot every few years( Blue print £10 plus 20 to 30 fitting)
This year needs some brake pads( Old stock Ferodo on ebay £9 ) but I will probably fit them myself.

The car's paintwork is a bit ropy but other than the usual wear and tear on tyres, tailpipe last year, it does not seem to fail on much usually.
It is just the aesthetic looks of peeling paintwork that makes getting another attractive but apart from that, I am quite happy with it.

May have to check the accelerator cable or throttle body as it sometimes revs for 5 to 10 seconds before going down to idle. Just incase this affects the MOT.

OP
OP
S
Well I'm going to say 200 tyres done wipers. Needs the service also then MOT I'm gonna say I think it will be about 300 + ish in my case provided everything is in good working order.

I want to have piece of mind that everything's safe as a new driver. And know where I need to be looking. To replace in future Via a professional view.
This is the route I'm about to take. To save me from working on the vehicle for many hours without knowing if I'm wasting time or not.

(Could be an expensive choice but maybe smart move).

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app
cheers, yea. That sounds fair enough, 2 to three hundred.. I only do about 3,000 a year in mine, so it is just the corrosion that seems to affect it.

OP
OP
S
over the years I've owned mine, most have sailed through with just the £30 fee, and it's failed a few times costing additionally around £80 each time for welding or brakes.

Insurance adjusters or garages tend to look at cars using their sale value, how much you would get for it if you sold it versus how much the repairs cost. Insurance will write it off for repairs totaling 50% to 70% of the cars value and most garages will just tell you it's not worth it for a similar amount. If the car is worth £500 that equates to £250 to £350 repairs max and for most old micra's £500 valuation is generous, even though when I got it it was worth more, I paid £1400, so it can be hard to see it as being worth less now.

My opinion is a bit different to insurance people. Firstly because I like the car and I'm attached to it, but second because I'm working out how much the car is costing me over the whole time. If I went out and bought a new car I would be making payments around £200-300 per month. If I got another used one there's an outlay of £500 to £2000 or so right off the bat, and then I don't know the car well or it's history so no telling what sort of work it's going to need. but, even if I spend £500 on getting my car through the MOT despite it only being worth £500 - at the end of that I have a car with a history which I already know, saves the hassle of buying another car, and allows me to save up more so that when I do eventually buy brand new I can get something nicer. I'd much rather keep mine going as long as possible and at the same time putting £100 per month into a savings account for my next car. So even a huge spend for an MOT on an old car of £500 in the mechanics is only £41 a month for that year, I could easy spend that much on pints on a weekend

Cheers, yea, that sounds like a similar situation to my car. While mine just requires the usual small weld or rubber CV boot, I will try and keep it going as long as possible. I have thought thou about getting another similar to it, so if it does fail, I have a spare to take it's place straight away so there is no pressure to find something asap to replace it. Thus avoiding just getting another replacement and maybe ending up with a pig in a poke! They are so cheap to buy, the only problem with a second one would just be the space off road to keep it!

Cheers, yea, that sounds like a similar situation to my car. While mine just requires the usual small weld or rubber CV boot, I will try and keep it going as long as possible. I have thought thou about getting another similar to it, so if it does fail, I have a spare to take it's place straight away so there is no pressure to find something asap to replace it. Thus avoiding just getting another replacement and maybe ending up with a pig in a poke! They are so cheap to buy, the only problem with a second one would just be the space off road to keep it!
I'm having the same issue, I used to have so much space and somewhere to park cars that were SORN, now, none at all, if it fails the MOT I have to find a garage to rent which only adds to costs

Fair point there Nis boy, cheers.
Over the last four year, My micra just usually needs a small patch or two yearly around the usual rear sills area (£25 for a small patch). Also, a rubber boot every few years( Blue print £10 plus 20 to 30 fitting)
This year needs some brake pads( Old stock Ferodo on ebay £9 ) but I will probably fit them myself.

The car's paintwork is a bit ropy but other than the usual wear and tear on tyres, tailpipe last year, it does not seem to fail on much usually.
It is just the aesthetic looks of peeling paintwork that makes getting another attractive but apart from that, I am quite happy with it.

May have to check the accelerator cable or throttle body as it sometimes revs for 5 to 10 seconds before going down to idle. Just incase this affects the MOT.
Yeah, will say the welding by cleaning the sills up about of trust treatment and decent paint over it (hammerite can work) could save the sills for abit , underseal you'd find will cause problems ,
How many miles the the CV boot?, Mine have somthing like 30k and 3 1/2 years on them or so , and still fine if a bit worn ,

Pads better off doing it yourself , bit of copper slip on the backs and if you got a spare bit of CV crease or rubber friendly wouldn't go a small in the sliders ,