Max boost on stock engine?

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
I am contempalting on what max boost i should tune my car too, i was considering 8 psi as a sensible point but I want it to be mroe around 11-12 psi. Is that doable on stock internals? I have the emanage for additional fueling and igniton and the knock sensor wired up to my radios aux for easy knock sensing.

Whats the max someone run reliably on the stock internals? I jsut want the most out of it as i can, It's still the stock cg10de so if it blows and a cg13de will go in, it blows but this is the auto block so it is stronger from what i have heard.

can't wait as this weeked/early next week the turbo setup will be tottally fitted and will be read for tuning.

Jabran.

frank

Club Member
jabran

i think about 5psi is the max, or 7psi with an intercooler unless you drop the c/r to about 7:1, (where i bet 1 bar+ would be ok)

HKS kits, let you run 6psi without an intercooler, so around that would be fine with the right fueling.

Rasing the compression ratio will help and you CAN turn up the boost, but no doubt you will blow a headgasket.

Pushing around 7/8 psi i would of thought would be possible but will kill you engine quicker.

If you thinking about pushing that sort of power thru the turbo, i would concentrate on freeing up HP thru the tranmission. A lightweight flywheel will help alot, and this is power you have tied up in the standard car.

OP
OP
jabran200

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
@ frank I am using a chargecooler so things will be pretty cool as long a sthe pump does its job. Dropping the comp down to 7:1 seems quite low would probbly loose out on bottom end accel for sure. I would have thought around 8.5:1 / 8:1 would have been o.k. Very few cars run below 7.5:1 woudl allow for abotu 1.2 bar + probbly.

@ runaway

rainsing the comp ratio is bed for turbo's and good for n/a and yes will no doubt blow the headgasket.

i think I am gonna stick to about 8 psi for now and then if i it feels slow i'll increase it tad and tune for it.

jabran

Ooppss didnt mean where i got raising the comp, ment lower it haha.

Alot of the australian micras run around 10psi fine, on standard internals. Aslong as the fuel is correct thru out the range then i wouldnt of thought it would be a problem. On turbo cars, ive always thought to maps, one for low and one for high boost is best.

OP
OP
jabran200

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
only some ecu's allow for low and high boost maps, anyway the e-manage is mapped using the map sensor so you tune for 0 psi to 8 or 10 if you wanted then it wouldn't matter you'd just change the boost controller settings.

frank

Club Member
jabran

our mot man taj slapped a turbo "only" on and left everything totally stock :eek: , he said it was awesome but his sister borrowed the car 2 weeks later, and it went bang !
i,ll ask him what let go
would opening up the combustion chambers be an option ?, as opposed to a compression plate, with the chain length issues

OP
OP
jabran200

jabran200

Ex. Club Member
jabran

our mot man taj slapped a turbo "only" on and left everything totally stock :eek: , he said it was awesome but his sister borrowed the car 2 weeks later, and it went bang !
i,ll ask him what let go
would opening up the combustion chambers be an option ?, as opposed to a compression plate, with the chain length issues

Yes, but i remeber reading that it didn't have any engine management? that would explain why, you can't just slap a turbo on a pray that it works as the stock map aecu will max out at around 5 psi as you probbly know. Yeh it would be interesting to see what went. What boost was he runnign for it to happen? as even workign for 2 weeks is a result as the stock has some tolerance for abuse.

jabran :grinning: