• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Martboy21's new raT 1.0 rebuild!!

satin black or gloss white

• Total voters

martinb

Ex. Club Member
sleeper ss is dropping off the car this week so i thought id get started on a few bits whilst im waiting

swung by today and managed to save a seat rail from the depths of the crusher!!

sleepers work collegue and me butchered it until we were left with this

DSC_2752.jpg

my recaro and s13/14 bride low seat rail( from japland) too wide and long and too expensive to start cutting so i removed it

DSC_2757.jpg

the last stubbon rusted on allen key bolt that gave me problems on the bottom left!! Grrrr! breaker bar and friends allen key...sorted

DSC_2757-1.jpg

the recaro, damn comfortable and sucks me in like a babys buggy seat

DSC_2756.jpg

luckily the front two bolt straight in!! the rears are held on with pipe clamps for now but will get welded when i come to use the car properly. but for now , whilst the car is being "overhauled" it will hold fine

more soon....

next day.....

taken two days off work so will have bit of time to play(Y)

firstly many thanks to sleeper ss for delivering it to me on his flatbed truck, much appreciated mate

got big plans for this one but going more all out than before

here some photos after delivery

DSC_2772.jpg

DSC_2774.jpg

DSC_2773.jpg

DSC_2775.jpg

DSC_2776.jpg

went inside made tea and armed myself with a phillips screwdriver, socket set and plently of fags

started stripping parts out :p

DSC_2779.jpg

DSC_2780.jpg

most of the unnecessary stuff out so recaro had test fit and steering wheel!

DSC_2781.jpg

DSC_2782.jpg

DSC_2790.jpg

rear of car after most stripped out

DSC_2783.jpg

DSC_2785.jpg

then i thought id give it a quick wash,its like chalk but im respraying it so no need for t cut etc

DSC_2793.jpg

DSC_2794.jpg

and also started on the satin black inside

DSC_2795-1.jpg

more tommorow folks

where u get ur sub frame from for the bucket seat as i gt 2 seats but no subframes :(

just updated the beggining of my blog about seat rail benguin

just start cutting!!

got some more done today,masked out windows, wire tucked the rear and sanded more of the rear and covered in grey primer, just gonna do the whole car inside with primer then spray in satin

some photos bit later

later on...

16042010729.jpg

16042010730.jpg

maybe some more later or tommorrow

right got stuck in last night and sunday for a couple of hours,damn satin spray,im literally breathing it ffs!!

anyway most of the stuff from the car im not keeping all bagged up and ready to be binned!!

DSC_2815.jpg

my little work haven

DSC_2797.jpg

fitted black dash and sprayed surround etc, took loads of sound deadening out from behind the dash

DSC_2798.jpg

few more satin black parts

DSC_2803.jpg

DSC_2800.jpg

and the dreaded sound deadening in the floor, got started with a hairdryer and scaper, so time consuming!!

DSC_2801.jpg

me spraying in shorts t-shirt and me sandals!!i know i know no mask< the mrs keeps telling me

DSC_2810.jpg

some of the rear done

DSC_2804-1.jpg

the essentials

DSC_2813.jpg

arty farty shot

DSC_2811.jpg

got to get rest of interior done by next weekend so i can start on body work prep. then i'll be taking engine/gearbox/shafts etc out soon

long long road ahead of me!!

more soon

I wish i didnt have to use my car as a daily drive, or i would be so tempted to do what you are Marty!...Look forward to the updates...and i gotta agree with your essentials...except i tend to use a bottle of Brothers instead of Becks lol

been doing bits here and there over the past week or so...

started my $50 dollar paint job with a test of flat and blocking and compounding after 2 coats and was well impressed.

its rustoleum thinned with white spirit, thin coats wetsanding throughout the grades every 2 coats with a final 2000 grit wet/dry and a buff

really happy with progress although have no photos of it buffed just after i put another coat on

DSC_2824.jpg

looks real bad with alot of orange peel but all that gets sanded out with the flatting back, needs the 8 or so coats so that when you do flat it back your not rubbing through the paint

DSC_2817.jpg

DSC_2823.jpg

have also started on the boot and removed all the unneede stuff and aluminum mesh and fiber glassed the badge holes

DSC_2825.jpg

just got a rubber bung in there for now(not sure if fibre glass will hold the big hole?? any tips apart from welding as dont have access?

also fitted my ebay ''sabelt'' bargain, fill like im in a fighter pilot seat or something, very very supportive with the recaro

DSC_2819.jpg

that it for the minute

got to finish preping the whole car then get all panel painted with atleast two coats, leave it a few days to harden and cure, wash it re mask and then i can paint the car ine one go 7 more times!!!

will do a proper write up when finished but should cost no more than 40 quid to do the car bar the cost of renting a car mop/polisher(not halfrauds poo but something proffesional from hire shop for the weekend

cheers all (Y)

and a donation of a super s bumper would be hugely appreciated:laugh:

or does someone wanna swap for a mint jdm cup holder dash pod?cheers:eek:

also still waiting for my wheels of fleebay, 3 1/2 weeks still no contact from seller, have now had to open a dispute with the c*ck through pay pal!! not happy :(

alot been going on lately with the car

got a full refund on the weller wheels from the bay so pleased i got rid of that ####

the rustoleum job was going ok but so much effort has to go into it what with the prepping and the wet sanding betwween every two coats

heres the latest

DSC_2875.jpg

DSC_2876.jpg

began to get the hump as blcak shows up every imperfection and scratch etc

i ran out of paint and whilst in the paint shop i had a change of heart

so i thought sod it and went white

if i had 1200 for proffesional full respray then i would have black but i dont so here it goes.....

DSC_2895.jpg

DSC_2896.jpg

DSC_2897.jpg

me wet sanding

DSC_2904.jpg

the paint

rustoleum combi colour

DSC_2906.jpg

now for weight reduction he he

DSC_2908.jpg

i find it funny how thats a model of my old super s yet im making my current micra almost exactly the same (madness)

also found some new things to do with a heat gun, so much fun and so many uses!!

DSC_2910.jpg

oh and my new wheels were the seller actually exists and should be here by the weekend

13 x 7 minilites et 7 (i think) should be interesting

and yes i know i painted my rear lights, i should have masked them :down:

but i now have an excuse for a new set!

ooh and ive got shero's white super s bumpers coming soon, its all go!!

cheers all

hello all, the recaro has gone and now have a bride holding monster seat, its a fixed seat and have managed to get the s13 seat rail to bolt to the floor, very please as im practically about 1 inch of the floor! driver postiion is spot on as i adjusted the steering colomn bolts with spacers so i now actually ressemble sitting in a go cart

DSC_2944.jpg

finished the front lights but have used satin spray instead which has worked alot better

DSC_2954.jpg

All wheels and tyres on,perfect offset really with the 175's on, could do with little more slammage,but all in time me thinks will be REFURBISHING THESE SOON and they will look good as new

DSC_2937.jpg

DSC_2939.jpg

also got my new 'tuner wheel nuts' from the bay which im pleased with, 20 quid delivered

DSC_2941.jpg

DSC_2947.jpg

DSC_2950.jpg

still need to get panhard rod as my axel is thrown to the right giving me tuck one side and poke the other!

oh yeah, photo without spring on the bump stops,
DSC_2936.jpg

looks rude but unsafe unless done properly so spring back in and now this stance

DSC_2949.jpg

also fitted my halfords autoguage rev counter

DSC_2945.jpg

DSC_2946.jpg

very pleased with the progress,im moving on the 26th again! so want to get car done before i go, then once settled in new place ill start on mechanicals and engine etc

have you got the link to them extended tuner wheel nuts, and how long did delivery take on them. Do you get a few more turns than using the original nissan nuts mate?

managed to salvage and old gear knob from a civic i use to own, its was gunmetal spayed from ebay but thought id have a go a polishing
dsc2978.jpg

dsc2979f.jpg

dsc2980n.jpg

dsc3008.jpg

dsc3009z.jpg

1200 grit took of all the paint, then 2500 wet and dry followed by meguairs nxt gen high finish metal polish, just got to drill the inside out now :)

got my bumpers of shero this week, many thanks mate top notch, have started smoothing the rear, fronts just held up on car looking nice until
smoothing and respray begins

dsc3010k.jpg

also recieved my jdm lights through the post,well chuffed all though the need re wiring as when i indicate the brake starts flashing and made stuff, look the part though

dsc2985b.jpg

dsc2987.jpg

dsc3002.jpg

dsc3014mp.jpg

dsc2998.jpg

Front poke?

dsc3001.jpg

dsc3004.jpg

dsc3016y.jpg

went out last night to the car, paint has been curing on boot for over 2 weeks, bone dry and hardened

peeled away the masking tape which pulled the damn paint with it!!, not impressed

tryed the side window,same thing

so dissapointed, major major set back as now have to sand back and start again, this time im not using rustoleum, gonna do my orginal plan of satin black.,....again

this is current state of affiars

DSC_3018.jpg

the yellow is primer filler, just seeing if i can bring up to level with exicisting paint

i used nitromors to remove paint and jet washer to blast it off

DSC_3019.jpg

DSC_3020.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

Talk about 1 step forward 47 back!!

damn poxy car!

pics later:(

unlucky

but will be more than worth it when you get it done mate,

car will look awesome

what are those wheels you have on?

small update and good news really, managed to swap a door this evening which will only require the bump strip removing and alot less work than the last one,

going to replace the front wings and drivers door too as that will save alot of time getting the other paint off

finished a patch today to see what it will be like with the primer etc, all level and smooth

car should be totally prepped in few weeks people, finally it will start to look less embarassing!!

some pics

DSC_3023.jpg

DSC_3024.jpg

DSC_3025.jpg

so much work to do on this door its easier to just replace it with a spare!

cheers(Y)

how about going back to bare metal where the paint is all uneven?surely then all you'd need is primer and paint? or have you got filler or poor finish on the metal?...just a thought! same thing happened to me when i pulled my bumpstrip off my door,all the paint came with it! was such a pain using filler primer to build it all back up again!

the door was a joke, check the pictures, not worth the hassle, ive 240 wet sanded which is taking it all smooth on rear quarter panel, two coats of primer filler, 1500 wet sand that, then two coats of grey primer seems to be doing the trick at the mo

if i can get the rustoleum of without damaging the original paint its far less work to do, my sanders not great either

tried nitromors but that has eaten some of the red paint aswell and sanding takes to long,any suggestions?

cheers

oh and yeah have filler in some places, the door i took off had big lump of it, might just get a wallpaper scrapper for the roof and use my heat gun again!!??

Thats an impressive blog mate, keep up the good work (Y)

What are the wheels you got on there? they look awesome!

ye nitromorse is all or nothing that stuffs not fussy! i suppose you need to take it down by hand to where the paint adhesion is solid. sounds like youve got the best method with the 240 etc..best of luck pal..i *****n being in that situation...its happened to me a few times when ive been too impatient and but too much paint on too soon.we learn from our mistakes eh! but if you keep giving it as much love and effort as you have been she'll turn out a beaut in the end :grinning:

cheers guys, comments motivate each and everyone further,

ill get there , just get plodding along!

i was in the garage tonight sanding away whilst lying down (low bit on rear quarter) and actually fell asleep, around half hour later(i think) i woke up all confused and just shrugged my shoulders and carryed on sanding (yes im weird, i know)

wheels are 13 x 7 minilite/superlite replicas i wanted banded steels but the vw boys put the price up for them so didnt bother, like them though but will need refurb to be mint

still not sure on damn colour either white or satin black, both from can

first 10 replys choose colour

like a poll except i dont know how to do one

so what colour you think?

SATIN BLACK FTW!
Otherwise (like you said before) its just going to end up looking like your old one?
Alrite Mart loads of progress in such a small time, i have been following it. I think the red, black, white, filler primer, grey primer and bare metal from the pics looks really good not practicle but it definatly a one off paint job!!!! I need to come see it in the flesh soon when ur settled in the new place.

"You can do it!" Sorry to hear about the paintwork :(

Im actually gonna vote white simply because if you can do anything like you did with your old Super S then it will be a result!(Y)

(P.S. Love that car :p)

umm, white or black , white or black

ive had a white car, should go black

but damn i like it white

which ever i spray im going to want the opposite after!

mark whats up with satin black?its cheap,simple and i ve done some test patches and aslong as you 2000 wet sand after it gives an even coat?its not amazing but its practical!?

swung by sleeper ss today and got me two front wings in white, fitted near side and prepped and coated in primer,looks mint

sr steve,with my ride height,offset/wheels boot and jdm lights mine will be looking the same as johnzuko;s bar the spolier, i like silver,just need a cheapo job, ill keep thinking guys,cheers

Yeah both colours are very good, but i have to say white micra are quite unique (I see alot of black but not so much white :p)

Whites got my vote (Y).

mark whats up with satin black?its cheap,simple and i ve done some test patches and aslong as you 2000 wet sand after it gives an even coat?its not amazing but its practical!?

I just dont like it on anything other than a rod or sled.

Go white, you know it will look great. I think the car wont suit a satin black job, unless you are planning some other trad touches - pinstripes, moons etc - which would be cool but I dont think is the look for you - I would be pleased to be proved wrong!

Black deservers to be done properly, flawlessly finished with a shine you could dive in and swim through.

Nato green in a crazy octopus style could look cool, cable tied bumpers and stencils all the way.

But your ride your way - it's going to be cool whatever you decide you like best. :grinning:

I just dont like it on anything other than a rod or sled.

Go white, you know it will look great. I think the car wont suit a satin black job, unless you are planning some other trad touches - pinstripes, moons etc - which would be cool but I dont think is the look for you - I would be pleased to be proved wrong!

Black deservers to be done properly, flawlessly finished with a shine you could dive in and swim through.

Nato green in a crazy octopus style could look cool, cable tied bumpers and stencils all the way.

But your ride your way - it's going to be cool whatever you decide you like best. :grinning:

Was just planning on a plain car,smoothed bumpers and kind of half dub half jdm evil track slag lookl, not a fan of massive aeroplane bumpers and keeping the car at almost stock ride height

just asked sleeper s s how much for blow over in bright white if the cars all prepped and masked up ,hopefully if i buy the paint i should get it quite alot cheaper

should have some more photos soon cheers

i bet the 1200 for a professional paint job isn't looking so bad now? painting a car is a pain in the ass, i have seen people who know what they are doing and have a proper sealed garage with an extractor fan and proper spray guns still get orange peel and un even surfaces, it is a true art.

true about the colour just cant stand faded red,

yes i ####ed up buts its all a learning curve

the car cost me 200 quid, why would i spend a further 1200 on paint, if i had 1200 spare it would be on engine conversion or turbo and running gear

im gonna spray it myself, i know how to spray with cans and get a decent glossy finish

nex ask any proffesional painter about orange peel, you flat and block it out ie wet sand the orange peel out, no painter in the world can put a decnt thick layers of paint without it happening

its having the know how to overcome and perfect the finish

im by no means good at it but i can spray as i said to a ACCEPTABLE standard and can prep the car to a decent finish

ill have some more photos later or tommorow, things will slow a little as moving next friday so will be busy with that but shouldnt be much longer now

couple of hours a night will get it done

oh and don t believe the ####ing yanks on paint jobs, the 50 dollar paint job is not as good as they make out

cheers

Back