• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Mark's 1.0L

Sorry if I missed it but what's spec on wheels mate? I saw these on classic mini yesterday, I want them

d4b7800c-3fcd-49a4.jpg

d4b7800c-4002-59bb.jpg

they are nice aint there a person on ere with them, and dont you have to use wobblies :(

They are 7x13 et 5, well three of them are one is 0, It appears that the "pair" that I thought I had are not. so thats now on the wide side with a 10mm spacer and an et5 on the narrow side, which has evened out my panhard rod axle shift almost completely. The et5's fit really well on the front too which is a bonus as i thought I was getting 0's :grinning:

Not a fan of those split rim effect superlites, but the gunmetal looks good against the brg.

They are 7x13 et 5, well three of them are one is 0, It appears that the "pair" that I thought I had are not. so thats now on the wide side with a 10mm spacer and an et5 on the narrow side, which has evened out my panhard rod axle shift almost completely. The et5's fit really well on the front too which is a bonus as i thought I was getting 0's :grinning:

Not a fan of those split rim effect superlites, but the gunmetal looks good against the brg.

so is the dish not deeper by a fraction on the 0et?

And to think I wanted 13 x 10 et - 20 on the back last year!! Madness I tell ye

Glad you sorted panhard rod spacing

Prefer this to the lx matey

Big bag of epic win

Annoying immobiliser, I think it might get perminately connected and tucked behind the dash.....

DSCF2654.jpg

I have ripped out so many of this crappy immobilisers, they are quite easy to do, pull off ignition wiring and reconnect original wiring and the same at the fuel pump relay, it will only probably cause problems in the future if you don't.

Car is looking great :)

I'd love to replace the front seats, but if I do it will be with 60's style low back buckets, with the rear seat trimmed to match.

All my plans are being done before me lol. I was thinking well that pretty much exactly. not to sure on colours but it would probably be in white but with green trims.

what a great car!

Yeah 5mm to be precise but neither you or I could really tell,

I'm gonna run some spacers when I get arch roller, talking of which are yours scrubbing mark?

Just a tad Martin, heavy cornering or bumpy undulations at speed. The arches have recieved a ghetto rolling which relieved most of it bit they still chirp occasionally.

I met a kindred spirit in Sainsburys carpark....

Photo0079.jpg

Wide TH lines looking the shizz on the young Lupo.

Just more pictures that indicate how much I could do with loosing at least another half coil on the rear.

DSCF2869.jpg

DSCF2861.jpg

DSCF2864A.jpg

But for the sake of the tyres, and the ability to carry anything, it will be staying where it is for now.

That looks ####ing epic mark!!

I'll see how much a set of rear corsa dampers cost, that will definaltely sort out the rear, another coil but with dampers that hold the spring in

I'll have to sort out that arch roller and both my and your arches sorted mate

Looking pukka though :)

I'm liking those pics, got style. I think your right about the rear, just that little bit lower may go a long way looks wise.
Corsa b rear dampers are £22each from fkautomotive iirc.

I'm liking those pics, got style. I think your right about the rear, just that little bit lower may go a long way looks wise.
Corsa b rear dampers are £22each from fkautomotive iirc.

Thank you euro very good info, there u go mark, 50 squids will sort it when you can, will do exactly what your asking, they will sort the rear perfectly for you mate

Can you measure from arch to floor on front and rear when you can

Cheers
And thanks euro ;)

I've got no trouble with the spring staying in (though I might with a bit more off) - I've modded the shock the way that Frank does and welded a new seat further down the shaft, so that the shock on full drop will not allow the spring to de-compress enough to be loose. Stiffer shocks may well sort it though.
It also has less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in those pics, with a full tank it does level out a bit.

Cheers for that info Euro, dont have a link by any chance do you? Not that I'll have any money to make a purchase any time soon.

Here is the link euro was on about... (i think)

Clicky

Yep that's the one i saw, and it's 22euros, so even cheaper. Don't know how it'd compare to your modified dampers, but would think it would have better movement, ie less extention and lower bumpstop maybe, so they would possibly keep the comfort while still going lower, maybe? I have a pair myself I'll be fitting this weekend :D does need some work first though(see mintyfresh's diy guide).

Looking low n' sweet there mark, just shows how getting basic essentials right makes all the difference. (Y)

Cars looking apserlutely fantastic mate, and the ride hide i'd say is perfect too, it cuddles into the arches just right, perfectly ballanced, one of my faviourites this one (Y).

Keep up the mint work.

so if that stock suspension on that how on earth did you get so low?

i dont understand it my ickle wheels look silly atm

Re-engineered (as HoodedReaper puts it) coils all round, fronts are wired into the cups to prevent them from unseating on drop. On the rear the shocks have been modified, welding mounting plate further down the shaft (essentially shortening it), with a sleeve over the treaded section at the top. Frank does it a lot - its where I got the idea! This prevents the axle dropping too far and allowing the springs to unseat.

This is by no means an ideal solution. The ride is pretty shocking, with the stock shocks not doing a very good job of controlling the bounce of the now much stiffer springs. But it was cheap.

I reckon giving yours a coil off, maybe coil and a half at the front, would be a good starting point, then see how it goes from there. Take a bit at a time, see how it looks then a bit more if nessasray.

I dropped one of my old mercs (long departed) years ago, took so much off the wheel arch was supporting the weight of the car resting on the top of the tyre. Try not to do that. Narrower tyres would probably have made it work, but the car wasn't drivable to get to the tyre fitters.

Cars looking apserlutely fantastic mate, and the ride hide i'd say is perfect too, it cuddles into the arches just right, perfectly ballanced, one of my faviourites this one (Y).

Keep up the mint work.

Thank you sir.

Re-engineered (as HoodedReaper puts it) coils all round, fronts are wired into the cups to prevent them from unseating on drop. On the rear the shocks have been modified, welding mounting plate further down the shaft (essentially shortening it), with a sleeve over the treaded section at the top. Frank does it a lot - its where I got the idea! This prevents the axle dropping too far and allowing the springs to unseat.

This is by no means an ideal solution. The ride is pretty shocking, with the stock shocks not doing a very good job of controlling the bounce of the now much stiffer springs. But it was cheap.

I reckon giving yours a coil off, maybe coil and a half at the front, would be a good starting point, then see how it goes from there. Take a bit at a time, see how it looks then a bit more if nessasray.

I dropped one of my old mercs (long departed) years ago, took so much off the wheel arch was supporting the weight of the car resting on the top of the tyre. Try not to do that. Narrower tyres would probably have made it work, but the car wasn't drivable to get to the tyre fitters.

Thank you sir.

humm thats a very good idea (except the merc) but as i have my -50 already fitted i dont want to tamper with them too much if that makes sense

seems like coilovers will be my only option and my mates can walk!

New steering wheel, well old actually, its an old mini specific wheel modded to fit. It has had the splined section removed and the centre hole then enlarged so that it can be welded to a cut down mountney m-range boss. I cut down the boss so that the wheel didn't come too far forwards. I'ts now nice and dishy, but the rim is the same distance back from the stalks as stock. No horn atm but I think i'll just put a push switch on the dash (mounted on the cover where the immobiliser LED is) for it. The centre was vacuum formed to fit, using a couple of round storage tups to make the former. I wish I hadn't done such a half arsed job of rubbing down the spokes now. I'll sort that when I get the center cover attatched properly.

DSCF2880.jpg

Got these on their way too.

$%28KGrHqIOKm8E1SLw4sDVBNjRZjHp1Q%7E%7E_12.JPG

liking the centre cap and the ones you made for the wheels on your old car... if my college had forming equipment id have ago but it doesnt! i was wondering if your be able to mock me some up for a little cash...

as i cant find minilite centre caps anywhere lol

That steering wheel looks pukka, really suits interior IMO ;)

Good news on clocks too

Ever thought of a 1.3 ?

Cheers Mart,

I quite fancy the idea of a high comp 1.3 using a 1.0 block and long stroke internals, breating though bike carbs, or pending the death of a rich relative, ITBs. Maybe even a charged 1L. I think I'd get a perverse satisfaction from making a sub 1000cc car go a well as possible. But tbh I dont have the time for the fannying arround, the space at home for anything too involved and messy or the disposable income for bits, and replacement bits when the ones I bought originaly turn out to be shagged.

Particuarly when the megre funds I do have need to be spent on low back buckets and coilovers with rock hard springs. I might, if I can find one cheap fab up a cherry bomp back box for a bit of rasp, but that is as far as my current performance pretensions stretch.

Will, how does the diameter of the wheel centre hole compare to a spray can lid, or yogurt pot?

Cheers Mart,

I quite fancy the idea of a high comp 1.3 using a 1.0 block and long stroke internals, breating though bike carbs, or pending the death of a rich relative, ITBs. Maybe even a charged 1L. I think I'd get a perverse satisfaction from making a sub 1000cc car go a well as possible. But tbh I dont have the time for the fannying arround, the space at home for anything too involved and messy or the disposable income for bits, and replacement bits when the ones I bought originaly turn out to be shagged.

Particuarly when the megre funds I do have need to be spent on low back buckets and coilovers with rock hard springs. I might, if I can find one cheap fab up a cherry bomp back box for a bit of rasp, but that is as far as my current performance pretensions stretch.

Will, how does the diameter of the wheel centre hole compare to a spray can lid, or yogurt pot?

I'm sure if you went to see Frank with beers and some cash you could pick up a 1.3 from his "local Asian scrappy" and he could retro fit your 1.0 pistons and drive away, could also give you the rear axle camber you've always dreamed off !:)

Once I'm up and running, mot, taxed and insured and mapped I'll be going to see the doctor for his operations

Could see if there's a second hand set of corsa b coilies on the bay?

Do what I do, sell stuff you make to fund the project

I'm sure there's £80 odd quid you could muster up from gearknobs and the like oh and centre caps and odd Micra memorabilia ??

Corsa coilies ftw, low stiff and I can go another 2 inches lower if need be

But Frank can help you mate, so can I if need be :)

.....and I really ought to be putting all of that bunce earnt through making tat into clearing my overdraft. Anybody got £500 going spare?

.....and I really ought to be putting all of that bunce earnt through making tat into clearing my overdraft. Anybody got £500 going spare?

There's sensible mark

And on the dark side...... A Micra mark

You HAVE to treat yourself mate, as long as it's a treat and nothing a epic spending spree :eek:

To be honest probably another inch at most, I've made mine sit lower on the damper shaft so the overall length is shorter and I don't loose dampening as I'm not anywhere near the bump stops

Frank and karlj has covered the normal way though

Hope you don't mind Mark but I like it so much, and your pic's are so good, I've put it my gallery HERE (Y).

Lolz cheers, I don't mind that at all. Thanks for the compliments. I like to think that I can take a resonable pic, but I dont really have any technical knowlege about exposures or iso setting and such like, I just put my compact in auto and point it in the vague direction of the car. I'd love an SLR to play with, but thats another of those toys that has to take a back set to paying the bills and feeding the children. :down:

Shaun thats not an slr, I have one of them as a point and shoot play thing.
Saying that they are exceptionally good and very cheap.

Shaun thats not an slr, I have one of them as a point and shoot play thing.
Saying that they are exceptionally good and very cheap.

I know but not being able to Afford a high end slr I opted for that fujifilm dslr it was like an in-between more features than a digital cam like aperture settings and iso.
Took quite a few good macro shots with it too.

Love the way your cars looking now Mark :) just a note on the Corsa rear shocks, when I fitted mine in the place of the Frankspeed shocks and I started getting mad arch rub that I didn't get before, was a bit odd seeing as I didn't touch the springs, had to use both the micra and corsa bump stops to not rub on every little bump. Also, what tyres you running? Keep up the good work (y)

165/55's

I didn't have rubbing with these wheels on the green car, but i think because the shocks were not frankified they were bottoming out or hitting the internal bump stops and preventing the contact, now with the shocks modded there is the possibility of more downward movement - and numpty that i can be - I cut the bumpstops down too so there's all sorts of problems with rubbing.

I guess with the corsa + micra bumpstop combo you are essentially making the shock body as long as the original micra shock.

You done anything with yours recently?

Yeah that sounds about right Mark :) I've not done too much in the last month or so, fitted the march lights from minty and ordered some yellow lamin-x for my 'fogs', new tyres are getting bought next Friday so should mean more lows hopefully in time for japfest! Think I might prep my old grille for spraying and see what that looks like on and there's also the bumpstrip issue that needs addressing (not sure the marks left will polish out :() I'll update my blog soon :)

Bit more info on the corsa shocks.

My corsa 'sport'/shortened rear shocks at max extenstion gave a look similar to a 50mm drop (pic). Then with springs cut to be just captive, it drops about 40mm (pic). And dampers can still be compressed and extended, almost as normal i'd assume, about mid-way -but don't quote me on that:wasntme:

Don't know if your tyres will rub for sure, I'm guessing they could, or have the potential to on hard bumps. Mine don't but they're well tucked in! But a bit of trial and error with springs and extra bumpstops etc im sure it would be possible.

BTW, my particular shocks also came with the bumpstop built in to the rubber protection cover, just like my micra ones, if that helps you at all.

i love ur car nice red black bumpers repping :D where did u get that hoop from looks sick as !! if u ever in a realy good mood and feel like u just want to give me ur wheels feel free to :wow:

Cheers nathgun.

My hang ring/subway ring/tsurikawa came from a man called John (donttellhimpike) over on RR. Clicky.

The wheels are stopping here :p

Back