• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

March G# Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heated the spring. Possibly the dumbest thing I've read this year.

I'll enjoy seeing pictures of this in a ditch after it snaps.

I was told by a technician/engineer that it was fine, providing it wasn't heated up a lot/for a long time and also it was safer than cutting another spring which would change the shape of it so much that it wouldn't seat properly. I've done about 400 miles+ on this so far and they've been completely fine, no noises/difficult ride or anything. It's still better than the way it was set up by a previous owner of it, which was extremely dangerous.

Maybe heating the spring isn't the done thing but I do feel that

is a bit harsh! :eek:
I did read up on it before doing it, and we did it in a way that won't/shouldn't affect the ride/strength of them.
But yes, I did think that was a bit harsh tbh :/ As soon as I get enough money I want to get proper Micra coilovers anyway

th.jpg

When you heat springs you ruin the pitch of them so I would of honestly went for different springs, coilovers or just cut them then use and angle grinder to make the tale the right shape. Heated is a no go in my opinion. I suppose if you only heated the end up and bent it down then that is most likely okay and the fact you kept the heat in a certain area. I suppose you let the spring cool down naturally?

In extreme case this can happen, oh by the way I am not calling you stupid its just a video example.

When you heat springs you ruin the pitch of them so I would of honestly went for different springs, coilovers or just cut them then use and angle grinder to make the tale the right shape. Heated is a no go in my opinion. I suppose if you only heated the end up and bent it down then that is most likely okay and the fact you kept the heat in a certain area. I suppose you let the spring cool down naturally?
I couldn't get any other springs as most only lower around 30ish mm (mine were 35mm), coilovers are out of my price range at the moment and I have already cut them (1 coil off the fronts). Yeah I think most people so far have assumed I heated the whole spring to lower it but I didn't, I only heated up the very end of the coil and bent it to get it the same flat shape it was before cutting.

I couldn't get any other springs as most only lower around 30ish mm (mine were 35mm), coilovers are out of my price range at the moment and I have already cut them (1 coil off the fronts). Yeah I think most people so far have assumed I heated the whole spring to lower it but I didn't, I only heated up the very end of the coil and bent it to get it the same flat shape it was before cutting.
I Presume thats how cutting a spring should go. I have seen people cut springs then heat the ends up to make them flat then if need they grind the ends flat. Obviously won't work if you have a pig tail spring. It would atleast get the spring sitting the best it can. Most lowering springs for K10s look as if the company bought some stock springs and cut them. My H&R ones sure did, they didn't even feel any stiffer.

I Presume thats how cutting a spring should go. I have seen people cut springs then heat the ends up to make them flat then if need they grind the ends flat. Obviously won't work if you have a pig tail spring. It would atleast get the spring sitting the best it can. Most lowering springs for K10s look as if the company bought some stock springs and cut them. My H&R ones sure did, they didn't even feel any stiffer.
Yeah that's what I did to mine, cut 1 coil off (as the top one is tightly wound and goes flat towards the top) and then heated the end of the spring and bent/flattened it down to make it the same shape as before and flat so that it sat properly in its cup. (I couldn't cut more than 1 off the front as the gap between the coils is a lot more and also i'd never get them to seat right/stay captive).
Mine now feel far better than before. They give really good firm handling, no body roll around corners but are also still comfy to drive on every day :)

Heating the springs will anneal the metal, losing the carefully aligned grain structure. It'll actually be softer so less likely to snap (as long as you didn't water or oil quench it), but it will sag over time more and have much reduced stiffness.

Oh no, someone did something dodgy to a car, I hope he crashes! No need to be a div

It's not as bad as some of the stuff we've seen on this forum. Smarter than cutting a silly amount of spring or, god forbid, using spring clamps.

It's not as bad as some of the stuff we've seen on this forum. Smarter than cutting a silly amount of spring or, god forbid, using spring clamps.
Thank you, this is exactly my point. It isn't as if the whole spring was heated up to make it lower, it was just the very tip of it to get it back to the flat shape it was so it'd seat properly. It's nowhere near as bad as some things i've seen before (a few of which were on here), including some 'modifications' that were actually done to the March way before I owned it.

Thank you, this is exactly my point. It isn't as if the whole spring was heated up to make it lower, it was just the very tip of it to get it back to the flat shape it was so it'd seat properly. It's nowhere near as bad as some things i've seen before (a few of which were on here), including some 'modifications' that were actually done to the March way before I owned it.
It's obviously not ideal but I mean it's fine. I mean, we drive with bald rear tires (notmehonest) and polo rear coilovers that rub against the body (mention no names eh Scott :p). All you can do is if you're not sure if it's safe get an experts opinion and you did exactly that. Suspension is always gunna be a touchy subject mods wise as is cutting structural body parts and the like, so you're always gunna get someone caught out because they jumped the gun without asking enough questions first, myself included. It's just human nature :rolleyes: :cool:

I agree with both of you - if any of us here took our cars to Germany or Australia we'd all get them impounded, haha

What is that stand the car is on? looks fair handy, how does it work?

It's like a big scissor type lift, it goes from flat to a bit higher than in the picture and you just wind up with a hand winder or just use a square socket bit in a drill. You can change the width of it too, for different size cars. I can't remember the exact name of it now, but i'll find out for you soon

I've thought about it, just not sure on 2 things.

1. Is my metal work really capable of safely holding up a 700+ kg car.

2. How to go around knocking one up

the front of your car is supported by 4 bolts, and that'll take a hefty bump too. The thickness of 4 m12 bolts will take it easy. I could probably knock up some drawings for one in a day If I was asked very nicely and had some spare time.

It's like a big scissor type lift, it goes from flat to a bit higher than in the picture and you just wind up with a hand winder or just use a square socket bit in a drill. You can change the width of it too, for different size cars. I can't remember the exact name of it now, but i'll find out for you soon
Tell me more :)
I've looked into buying one of those lifts, £300 ish price tag puts me off
300 doesn't sound too bad?
Enuo... I'm asking you very nicely please knock up some drawings for it :p
+1

Not much of an update for now, just took some photos with my mates Colt Ralliart which is also being modified at the moment :)

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

I haven't really updated this for a while, but there will be some updates coming soon.

In the meantime, here's some photo's I took/found of it at Japfest. Better late than never!

DSCF1163.jpg

DSCF1164.jpg

DSCF1165.jpg

(I think it was Max who took this one, if it was, thank you!)

Image1.jpg

& one from my Instagram.

IMG_0467.jpg

Not a lot has been happening recently, mainly been trying to eliminate what's causing my running issues.

Firstly tried some new ht leads. Bish bash Bosch..
They've made a slight difference to starting but the main problem is still there so next up will be a new dizzy cap/rotor arm.

IMG_0457.jpg

Also got a new steering wheel set-up. Suede Momo rep wheel, boss kit and a purple quick release boss :)

IMG_0478.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back