March Engine for Marine use

M

micramarine

hello mates. i was referred to the board by an australian micra website and i appreciate any help/input i could get.

i own a boat that has a 6.5 kilowatt generator powered by a nissan engine that i believe to be the one used in the early 1980s vintage March. the engine is 988cc with a bore and stroke of 68x68mm. it's quite impossible to get parts for this engine in the States, as Nissan did not market these cars here EVER. so my question is, can anyone give me after-market part numbers for ignition components (spark plug wires, coil, distributor cap, etc.) so i can get some parts for this little 4-banger?

these two websites have helped me confirm the engine, since the engine specs match those given in my generator's owner's manual. they give no credit to nissan for the engine, nor any to generac (the company that manufactured genset components). the generator itself was made by mercruiser and was sold as Quicksilver. the boat is a 1989 Searay. btw, mercruiser no longer is in the business of manufacturing marine generators, and the DO NOT even supply parts any more!

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=11825

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mjs/March.html

ignition part no.s

This may be useful, I've got a Intermotor ignition parts catalogue here that lists the following part numbers and equivilents. This is assumeing that you have a early Micra engine with POINTS type ignition.
If its a later electronic ignition car, let me know and I'll look up those part numbers.
These are obviously UK part numbers, there may be some differences on your engine due to emissions etc.
Where did the engine come from? Canada? Could you get parts posted across the border?

Coil
Ballast coil 12v starting, 6-9v running
Intermotor, 11070
LU, DLB 102
Bo, 0221119030
Delco, CL 3004, 7952666
Hitachi, C6R-205/6
Unipart GCL 119, 132

A fairly generic part, as long as its from a points ignition car you could get anything that has the right connections or can be made to fit.
Some vehicles that are listed under this part number that you might have in the US are, the Series 3 landrover and jaguar XJ6.

Distributor cap
Intermotor, 45460
Mits, T46371
Mits, T46382
Dont know if that a shortened version of Mitsubishi?
Nissan, 22161-G5710
Nissan, 22161-G5711
Nissan, 22161-23G15
Nissan, 22161-78A10

Also used on King-cab pickup '85-98, Sunny 1.4 hatchback '90-96 and Vannete 1981-on.

Mitsubishi, MD 607394
Mitsubishi, MD607402
Mitsubishi, T100T21271
Nissan, 22145-73415
Nissan, 22145-89900

Used in Datsun 260Z 1974-onward
Lots of Mitsubishi's.
Also used in some Chevrolet pickup (Luv 1.8 1972-onward, what ever that is?)

Condensor
Intermotor 34800
Nissan 22102-U6001
Nissan 22102-01M11
Honda 30118-657-005

Nissan Micra only, probably due to the shape of the mounting bracket, Im sure any conventional points ignition condensor could be used. You might have to mount it on the outside of the Distributor though.

Rotor arm
Intermotor, 48212
Mitsubishi, T13371
Mitsubishi, T13373
Mitsubishi, T880T13371
Nissan, 22157-23G15
Nissan, 22157-M5610

Micra and 1.4 Sunny '86-90 only

HT leads
Any that have the correct end fittings and are approximately the right length will do. A fairly standard part.

Hope thats useful.

Craig

marchmarine, can you send any pics of this? I would love to see it! if you have problems gettin parts i would be happy to send them over. - excellent post craig.

Ed

oops using laptop which ha claire logged in on hahaha

Thanks for the superb research craig! that's awesome. i actually know what a chevy LUV pickup is, but i have NEVER heard of a sunny or a vannette(???).

i'd be happy to take some pics for all to see. not sure how to post them but i could email them. what would be the best way???

this is a POINTS engine. very basic, almost primitive. which is why i love it! purrs like a kitten. amongst boat owners, quicksilver generators are a bit of an albatross, but the engine will probably run forever if maintained. boat engines (and generators) are measured by engine hours, not miles/kms, and this engine has about 190 hours on it.

thanks again for your help and input.

Are you able to take a few pics of this? I would love to see it. 190 hours is nothing. I dont know what the average speed of a car is over its lifetime but assume 100,000 miles @ 40 mph thats 2500 hours. Which tbh sounds about right for the life of an engine like this. One thing however CHANGE the cambelt if its old. If if breaks you will have one ruined engine...

Ed

is the cambelt external, or underneath some sort of cover that is brain surgery to get at. my belt on the front of the engine does look a bit worn and it does slip at times. it runs to the water pump. is that the one you mean?

cambelt

There are normally two belts on the front of the micra engine but you may be missing one since its being used in a generator set.
The outer belt (the Alternator belt) is a vee shapped belt that runs the alternator on the car and should be adjusted by moving the alternator on its bracket.
The inner belt (the Cam belt) is a toothed belt that runs right from the top of the engine to the bottom (from the cam to the crankshaft) powering the water pump on the way. It will have a seperate tensioner. It is normally completely enclosed by a plastic cover. If it skips any teeth on the pulleys it could damage the engine.

The cam belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles on the car. If it breaks it can very badly damage the engine (a real problem if you cant get spares easily). The Cam belt is rubber so will perish over time (especially if it gets any oil on it) so you might want to change it at fixed intervals (say five years or something like that).

The camshaft and crankshaft need to be kept acurately aligned when you change the cambelt. Does it tell you how to do this in the manual?

Craig

PS: For the Vannete think Scooby Do's mystery machine and for the Sunny think smallish Front wheel drive hatchback, both other Nissan models.

I would probably change the cambelt every 800 hours. Or 5 years. It should also NEVER slip. you may have some wierd external water pump/but either way pic would be great!

Ed

hi craig: that's good information. i will look closer when i go down to the boat on friday. there IS a plastic cover and the belt does have notches/teeth in it. when it slips, it does so on the water pump. this pump picks up sea-water, which runs through a heat exchanger (sort of like a radiator), which cools the closed cooling system (antifreeze). the two waters dont mix, sort of like running beer through a cold-box to cool it before it comes out of the tap. when the belt slips, it screaches something fierce and no sea-water is pumped overboard thru the exhaust. i have to take some pics on friday, but then i have to find a way to post them.

You can send the images directly to me if you wish [email protected] as for that belt, its NOT the timing belt, what you are talking about is a drive belt, it is under the plastic cover behind this belt that the most important belt lies, this is also the belt that drives the engines main waterpump. That is the cambelt. Its utterly VITAL that this is always in good shape. Finally that water to water cooler is known as a heat exchanger :)

Ed

i got pics if anyone's interested. email me at [email protected]. i sent them to Ed. not great pics b/c the genset is squished into pretty cramped quarters. also, would anyone know how long the crankase oil dipstick is? mine is about 22" of flexible plastic, with a tip that is broken off. annoying b/c i cant get an accurate measure of fill level. i'm thinking it should be approx 26" (??)

ron

Its quite intersting. quite customised. Strange how it only produces 5Kw. The rated max power of the MA10 is 33kw, clearly you wouldnt want a generator stuck at 6000rpm for the whole of its life however! Very nice though I like that :)

ed, it actually produces 6.5kw, and it is governed to run at approx 1600rpm. there is no throttle, so there is no choice. my dipstick is way longer than the one pictured. i did mean inches, so i'm thinking it has a completely different dipstick setup.

this may allow you to view the pics hopefully...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rlumachi/album?.dir=/e23c

Back