Making a new centre console??? Help

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
what would be good to make a new centre console, or at least modify it? It needs to be strong and be able to rub smooth?

cheers

Paul

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
what are you trying to do?

i would use fibreglass or carbon fibre.

but it depends entirely on what you are trying to achive, if its really extreme then metal might be better

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
I got a 7 inch tv to go in so i've moved some stuff on the dash and trying to remould some of it, i've tried fibre glass but to be honest its horrible messy stuff and i need to find something i can rub smooth to paint and shape a bit easier?

NeX

Club Member
I got a 7 inch tv to go in so i've moved some stuff on the dash and trying to remould some of it, i've tried fibre glass but to be honest its horrible messy stuff and i need to find something i can rub smooth to paint and shape a bit easier?

ah thats cool, the facelift dashes are best for that, maybe you could fit a facelift dash,

the easier it is to rub smooth the more weak and pathetic it will be, easy sand stuff cracks really quickly

superls

K10 Tuner
get the base shape out of fibre glass then use that easy sand car body fillet to give you the more finer defenitions, easy to lay down, sticks to rough fibre glass and sands down dead easy, plus takes paint really well.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
get the base shape out of fibre glass then use that easy sand car body fillet to give you the more finer defenitions, easy to lay down, sticks to rough fibre glass and sands down dead easy, plus takes paint really well.

+1

Huge ice installs are made using fibreglass / filler and you don't see these cracking, and they take alot of abuse. Bumpers etc also made of fibreglass.

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
paul facelift dashs will fit, but you need the heater channels, and maybe the heater control unit. not looked into it but thats what i can tell for a quick glance of the prefacelift to facelift dashes.

ive took both dashes out of k11's the bolt holes etc are the same :)

NeX

Club Member
how much would you want for it?

well first of all we need to make sure it fits, i really don't know how much it would be worth and really i would give it away free if it wasn't for the fact that i am very poor lol

you would need the plugs for the switches too as they are slightly different,

if you want it then we need to arrange a time to meet up and i will pull it out by then,

OP
OP
Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
You got a postcode just so i can see how far away you are..... sorry i'm useless with directions and have no idea where wiltshire is?????????

a bit of wiring is no issue i'll have my electrics man do that.

What days of the week is best for you?

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
You got a postcode just so i can see how far away you are..... sorry i'm useless with directions and have no idea where wiltshire is?????????

a bit of wiring is no issue i'll have my electrics man do that.

What days of the week is best for you?

postcode is SN13 area

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Id use fibeglass and filler tbh, woked a treat on some of my brothers interior mods! But he made sure there was plenty of paint on there to seal it ;)

The pre-facelift to facelift dash switch sounds appealing to me aswell. Anyone got any pics of a facelift dash? I had a search but had no luck...

(sorry to jack the thread, just curious :upside:)

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
have a look on squarepants and swipers blogs they both have pics of facelift dashes.

here ya go:

19052008154.jpg

19052008155.jpg