Making a FWD car handle well!

Basic Principle: Get the back end to turn (just enough), and the front end to grip.

1) Toss the front roll bar away. If you need more front roll stiffness, stiffen the springs. You want to avoid unweighting the inside front tire at all costs. Both because it will spin (assuming that you're not running a LSD -- which is something that you'll need), and because you'll need as much traction as possible at the heavy end of the car. In a 911 it doesn't matter if the inside front lifts, in a FWD car it's guaranteed lap time death! Be careful not to overspring the front since this will just make it push more and lose grip on rough surfaces.

2) Whatever you have for front spring rate -- you'll need a lot more in the back. You'll also want a big sway bar. I've seen some early Honda Civics actually rig up 2 bars in parallel. I don't think that you really can have too much rear roll stiffness. Rather you'll just start to get deminishing returns.

3) Take a good look at your cage and how it attaches to the suspension system. Torsional stiffness is critical since you'll constantly be using the rear suspension roll stiffness to prop up the front end.

4) Lowering the car (without distorting the geometry) will make a big difference in so much as it reduces the weight transfer. Some guys just forget about any geometry issues and slam the car on the ground which lowers the front roll center significantly and increases the front end's tendency to roll. They make up for this by cranking in a lot of static camber and huge springs. The strategy is as spelled out in my signature.

5) Take a close look at your front geometry. Most FWD cars have MacPherson Strut front suspension which tends to lose camber in roll. Adding Caster can add a lot of this camber back. Within reason it doesn't hurt the steering effort much since the front wheels are pulling the car, so if this change results in any "steering trail" you'll wind up with the tire patch pushing the steering axis as opposed to RWD cars where the contact patch is dragging behind the steering axis (like a grocery cart). Keep in mind that you will lose some self-centering action by making this change.

6) A small amount of rear toe-out can often help the car to rotate. How much depends on the track and how high speed the corners are. If there are a lot of sweepers, then no toe-out may be better. For auto-x, more will most likely be better. By the same token, some guys run narrower tires on the back then on the front. As you mentioned, the rear tires aren't doing much anyhow. Making sure that you have maximum track width on the back end is also important.

7) Don't be shy about considering asymetrical set-ups. At LRP ( 5 out of 6 corners are to the right), I would generally take some load off of the left front by removing some shims. Basically this transfers load to the RF and LR tires. In 5 of 6 corners both of those tires were nowhere near as stressed as the outside front tire.

Cool Finally don't forget the shocks. It's really important that you have your shocks valved to match your springs. Some objectives:
A) Dampen the stiff spring rates. FWD cars can get a really funny/scary oscellation that alternates from the front to the rear. It used to be a big problem when the BTCC started to use FWD cars until they got a handle on it. I occasionally ran into it with my Mazda 323 and the first few times you experience it, it can be plenty scary. It doesn't throw the car off the track or anything so all that you need to do is grit your teeth and drive through it. I never got around to spending the money on shocks to fix it in my case, but oscellation problems generally require a shock fix.
B) You don't want a lot of rebound dampening in the front, once again to keep both tires on the ground.

hmm, i think different fwd cars need different settings personally, i used to do stockrods and we had no a/r/b,s at all and we all had a massive amount of camber on the outside front wheel (as pic)
and mine is very loose at the rear with no a/r/b at the rear at all :eek: (i "spun it" on our kart track 3 times on 1 lap the other day :wasntme:)

Attachments

• hP1110447.JPG
    hP1110447.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 597
you see, you got to slang that sucker in their with just the right amount of this
07.jpg
[/QUOTE]

to get them corners more rounded of:grinning:

all i did to my corolla was fit 40mm lowering springs and its rear end was hanging out on every bend even at slow speeds but it was so controllable i never span it and it was driven hard i even managed to pull 4 car lengths on my mate in his gt4 celica with 300bhp and he said he was trying that was on a local b road. the corolla had a rear arb. i think frank has the best answer cause of different chassis designs ect ect. if you ask me as well i say the driver has a lot do with it.

my micra just has some really nice coilovers on it and it handles like its on rails, i have gone round roundabouts with my foot to the floor and in no way what so ever can i get the back out or the tires to squeak, i think that really everything just needs stiffening up, a bit of -2.5 camber at the front and its perfect, at least as far as the micra goes.

Mine handles like a go kart :grinning:. All I've done is lower it by 90mm on Apexi springs and shocks, 195/45/R15 tyres on 15x7.5 alloys with wheel spacers, and front and rear upper strut braces. I've also got a Momo steering wheel and a Honda gearknob (similar to Richebrook), and it feels great to drive (Y)

Knowing how much they lean stock, im not sure how helpful it would be tbh martin. Shouldnt take you long if you fancy testing though :D

TROLOLOL and all its ever getting. :p

That was the first thing to go on my K11. Too fast round a right hand bend, and you end up in the lap of the passenger sat next to you. Too fast round a left hand bend, and you fall out of the drivers door :laugh:

That was the first thing to go on my K11. Too fast round a right hand bend, and you end up in the lap of the passenger sat next to you. Too fast round a left hand bend, and you fall out of the drivers door :laugh:

pmsl, i love the car i do its been reliable etc but it was originally bought as i have no car and wanted a cheap one till i found a job. 1 or 2 is in the pipeline so alls go well il be getting a newer, nippier and better looking if im honest car either end of this year or begging of next. ive done the subltle mods to it, but anyting more than that, i feel im chucking monies away. Great cars though..

pmsl, i love the car i do its been reliable etc but it was originally bought as i have no car and wanted a cheap one till i found a job. 1 or 2 is in the pipeline so alls go well il be getting a newer, nippier and better looking if im honest car either end of this year or begging of next. ive done the subltle mods to it, but anyting more than that, i feel im chucking monies away. Great cars though..

Yeah, they are really good cars, but I myself want something slightly better looking and a bit nippier as well. When I bought the car, all I needed was a car to get me from A to B. It's now a bit more than that :laugh:. I really want to get an Almera Gti as soon as I can afford it. But I also might be a traitor, and go German :blush:. Mainly because I want a BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport :grinning:

Well now that i have mine on the road and on coilies... its madness round bends...
and i'm gonna lower it as far as the roads will allow for sunday... still on steelies though *Sad Face High 5*

But Shaun, at least with steelies, you can go ridiculously low :grinning:. Wheels inside the arches maybe? :laugh:

They do handle brilliantly when they're lowered though, even with stock wheels. Alloys just mean you can't drift them, no matter how hard you try. Although saying that, my tyres have got a bit of slide in them, as I found out when I managed to drift round a sharp country bend this morning. Lots of smoke and tyre squeal, wrestling the steering wheel, 2nd gear, swearing and making an angry face. And what did my mate say to me as soon as I'd straightened up and pulled over?

"Do you want a Skittle mate?" "Yeah, cheers."

:laugh:

Yeah, I noticed mine scrub a bit without anyone in the back. And I'm putting a fairly heavy sub and amp bolted to a bit of wood that's been cut to fit in the boot. Think I'll need to do away with the spare wheel, I can see it scrubbing a hell of a lot, especially since the front of my car is slightly higher now after losing everything for the aircon and the stock manifold :blush:

On a serious note. I hope my avo track suspension with 300iB springs (standard are 250iB) should make my Micra sr20 handle like poo to a blanket? Cost me just short of £1k!

Good cause before it had a set of lowering springs and had more body roll than a dingy in storm out in the ocean!

Back