Making a 1.3 into a fast but quiet and comfortable car?

So I've got a 98 1.3 GX,

I'm after making it faster - naturally, for everyday road use and a bit of fun on country lanes, but I don't want to strip the interior out and create a loud harsh rally car.

So what do people recommend:

Suspension, I'm thinking bilstien B4 shocks, H&R springs, would this combination be ok, I don't want the ride to be too harsh, I assume coilovers would be over kill.

In terms of power increase I assume the stock answer is a Janspeed full de cat exhaust, but what about the noise I don't want something that will deffen me after 500 motorway miles, what's best here?

Also with a cai, performance filter and de cat janspeed say, would the stock brakes be ok?

Cheers

Gene

Hope these two articles are useful for you Gene. I know they are pretty old now, and from an Australian perspective, but they do give some idea of what you can do to gain a bit of performance from a Micra and what to expect from it if you do...

Steve

I'd say just fit 3 things, well 6 if you count all 4 springs, Kilen springs, Frankspeed exhaust manifold and a trumpet in the throttle body with the mesh removed.

Picture 068.jpg

Could probably fit some more sound deadening under the carpet and in the doorcards!

Just did some sound deadening and dampening! I've used rubber and foam sheets, spay glue, aluminium tape etc. Engine area and trunk insulation gave me great results. Wrapping wheel well liner with the foam was just a waste of time :) Only doors are left to be insulated. Micra is much more silent and somehow calmer. I'm very satisfied with the results!

Attachments

• 20170426_164916_HDR.jpg
    20170426_164916_HDR.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 20170430_182927_HDR.jpg
    20170430_182927_HDR.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 374
  • 20170501_164242_HDR.jpg
    20170501_164242_HDR.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 327
  • 20170501_170230_HDR.jpg
    20170501_170230_HDR.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 281
  • 20170501_164257_HDR.jpg
    20170501_164257_HDR.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Just did some sound deadening and dampening! I've used rubber and foam sheets, spay glue, aluminium tape etc. Engine area and trunk insulation gave me great results. Wrapping wheel well liner with the foam was just a waist of time :) Only doors are left to be insulated. Micra is much more silent and somehow calmer. I'm very satisfied with the results!
Dear micri mouse
Thinking to do the same. Is it worth it ?
how much did the material cost you and how many square meters did you use ?

Hey George! Yes it's worth for sure! I've bought:
  • 2 square meters of 'K-flex Self-adhesive Insulation Foam Sheet' 10mm thickness, 20 €
  • 2 square meters of similar foam sheet(not Self-adhesive) 3mm, 20 €
  • Aluminium foil tape, 7 €
  • Rubber tape, width 5cm, 2 mm thick, 8 meters, 15 €
  • Spray Adhesive(glue) 14 €
  • Kitchen Degreaser, glass cleaner spray, sand paper etc.. a few €
So, around 80 € ~ 68 £. I've bought those materials in Serbia. Beside this I've bought some other materials which I didn't used.

I did it in two days. First day trunk, trunk door, empty places above the rear wheels, engine bay(bonnet, firewall and other free surfaces nearby) and I got great results. Second day I did wrapping wheel well liner in front and even metal sides above it and as I can't tell some benefit of this one. Beside that, that day I've placed 3mm rubber foam under rear seat and I suppose it worth. I've places some of the self-adhesive foam into free spaces in cabin cockpit, but just a bit. I've planned to do it more there and to do a front doors.
But even now, I'm wondering should I work more on this, since the results are great. For an example, running 100km/h was ok before, but now it is just like nothing. And noise while running over road bumps is much much acceptable. This insulation is a missing stuff in Micra for sure.

Cheers!

Hey George! Yes it's worth for sure! I've bought:
  • 2 square meters of 'K-flex Self-adhesive Insulation Foam Sheet' 10mm thickness, 20 €
  • 2 square meters of similar foam sheet(not Self-adhesive) 3mm, 20 €
  • Aluminium foil tape, 7 €
  • Rubber tape, width 5cm, 2 mm thick, 8 meters, 15 €
  • Spray Adhesive(glue) 14 €
  • Kitchen Degreaser, glass cleaner spray, sand paper etc.. a few €
So, around 80 € ~ 68 £. I've bought those materials in Serbia. Beside this I've bought some other materials which I didn't used.

I did it in two days. First day trunk, trunk door, empty places above the rear wheels, engine bay(bonnet, firewall and other free surfaces nearby) and I got great results. Second day I did wrapping wheel well liner in front and even metal sides above it and as I can't tell some benefit of this one. Beside that, that day I've placed 3mm rubber foam under rear seat and I suppose it worth. I've places some of the self-adhesive foam into free spaces in cabin cockpit, but just a bit. I've planned to do it more there and to do a front doors.
But even now, I'm wondering should I work more on this, since the results are great. For an example, running 100km/h was ok before, but now it is just like nothing. And noise while running over road bumps is much much acceptable. This insulation is a missing stuff in Micra for sure.

Cheers!
That is an answer :)
I will proceed to do the job ! you are VERY right micra missing insulation but in a very low budget car, you cant say anything to Nissan :)
The difficult is to find here in Cyprus the material. And because we are small island you realized the prices are high and is not easy to find the material for a good price.
I will do my search for the material.
Thanks for all ! i will keep you updated

Back