Main/High beam problem

J

JordieNE

Hey all,

New here. I just came looking for help for my girlfriends new (old) micra. Myself have owned a 1989 F reg MK1 micra which i must say was one of the best cars i have ever had.

Anyway, her problem.

Its a 1993 (K) 1.3 Super S. It has normal lights and lights in the bumper, this is standard setup i think.

On sidelights, the sidelights come on fine.

On normal beam, the HIGH beam comes on and the blue light on dash.

Flicking the stalk back and forth does not make any difference, so therefore we cannot drive it until fixed due to high beam blinding everyone.:doh: :doh:

Any ideas all, we dont have a manuel for it yet.:glare:

If its the stalk etc, any ideas how much and where we can get one from?

Cheers all,

Jordie N Ashleigh

PS. Its a 93 Super S, 12months MOT, in red. we gave £280 for it.

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
either that or a headlight is out and will show up as high beam on the dashboard but it aint actually high beam.

OP
OP
J

JordieNE

Dont think i made it clear.

When i put "normal" beam on the stalk, i get the FULL beam driving lights in the BUMPER.

Flicking the stalk forward or back to change between NORMAL and Full beam makes no difference. The blue FULL beam light stays on constantly on the dashboard.

Sidelights work fine.

OP
OP
J

JordieNE

Is it likely to be any of the following? Not sure on micras so correct me if the car doesnt have one or works differently.

1) Stalk - Switch or contacts broken so therefore cannot turn full beam off and return to dipped/normal beam.

2) A dim/dip relay - Not sure what this does, but some cars have em.

id agree with the second post bout checking the connections to the back of the bulbs on the headlights, the heat may have melted the dim and main terminals together, i just had my lights out and the drivers side one was mented onto the back of the bulb fitment. if thoses terminals are joined, they with bring on your main beam, thus also bring on the driving lights.

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
more than likely the stalk is faulty. quite common on nissans. just go to a scrap yard to get one. any micra stalk should fit (93-97). easy enough to get off, just unscrew the steering cowl plastic around the stalk from underneath then unscrew and disconect the stalk.

OP
OP
J

JordieNE

Is there a seperate fuse for normal and high beams btw?

If so can you tell me where it is, i just wanna check before i get round to getting a new stalk.

would be great to get a list of the fuses, where they are and what ratings.

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
IIRC they're by the battery, they have the lighting circuits in them, mine had melted together and totally lost 1 headlight, but wired them into another circuit

OP
OP
J

JordieNE

connectors had indeed melted around the earths. Fixed one. got another to do later.