MAF sensor on Micra 1.2 K12 (2003) Petrol

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
It's built into the throttle body, inside the air box on top of the engine....
2773675770760.png

and as far as I know it can only be changed by changing the throttle body, though can probably be cleaned using an aerosol solvent spray.........

It's built into the throttle body, inside the air box on top of the engine....
2773675770760.png

and as far as I know it can only be changed by changing the throttle body, though can probably be cleaned using an aerosol solvent spray.........

Thanks for the info appreciated. I have since realised that it is likely the MAP sensor that needs replacing (as opposed to the MAF)

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
MAP sensor is on top of the airbox, item 2 in the picture below...
Sensor location K12.jpg

and is secured by a single M6 bolt. It can be a little difficult to lift up after the bolt is removed as the 'O' ring around it's body tends to hang onto the hole in the airbox.
s-l225.jpg

They are not cheap, I was lucky in getting a good spare when I bought a replacement airbox on eBay for £15 :cool:

MAP sensor is on top of the airbox, item 2 in the picture below...
View attachment 62174
and is secured by a single M6 bolt. It can be a little difficult to lift up after the bolt is removed as the 'O' ring around it's body tends to hang onto the hole in the airbox.
s-l225.jpg

They are not cheap, I was lucky in getting a good spare when I bought a replacement airbox on eBay for £15 :cool:

Thanks again that is great help

Cheers

No worries. Why do you think that you have a problem associated with the MAP sensor? Have you plugged an OBDII reader into the port on the dash, to check for fault codes?

The car starts up in morning, idle fluctuates between 1,000 and 1,500 constantly. There is a loud ish pop. pop pop.. sound fom the exhaust.
Then I drive it and in 10-100 yards it almost always CUTS out (no warning at all) instantly. I wait half minute/minutes and restarts. Then I can drive away and it might do same again or might not. Then I can drive for maybe 1 mile or 25 miles and it MIGHT cut out at anytime or maybe ok whole jounrey. Drove it
25 miles back other day not a problem at all until 2 miles from home and just cut out instantly no warning at all. It is always instant clean
loss of engine. Battery ,lights etc are fine . The orange warning light has been on for few months but nope have not got any codes from it yet.

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
My money is on a camshaft sensor fault due to a stretched timing chain. This was very common on the K12's for the first couple of years of production and was finally cured by fitting an uprated timing chain to all engines produced from about early to mid 2005.
Code readers are very cheap on ebay, I got one of THESE for about £10, works great on my K12 Micra, my Saab and my daughter's P12 Primera.

My money is on a camshaft sensor fault due to a stretched timing chain. This was very common on the K12's for the first couple of years of production and was finally cured by fitting an uprated timing chain to all engines produced from about early to mid 2005.
Code readers are very cheap on ebay, I got one of THESE for about £10, works great on my K12 Micra, my Saab and my daughter's P12 Primera.

Thanks will get one ! Hmm, I hope you are wrong though .Cheers

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Got one of those bit too quickly ,then realise it says "Disel only" . Hmm wonder if it will work with Petrol ?.
It's an OBDII reader, it will work on all cars that are OBDII compatible. The reason that the seller quotes the diesel information is because diesel cars made before the date he quotes are NOT OBDII compatible so he doesn't want any comeback from people buying it for a diesel and it doesn't work. Not sure what Frank's comment is about, it's not a mechanical vacuum gauge??:rolleyes:

It's an OBDII reader, it will work on all cars that are OBDII compatible. The reason that the seller quotes the diesel information is because diesel cars made before the date he quotes are NOT OBDII compatible so he doesn't want any comeback from people buying it for a diesel and it doesn't work. Not sure what Frank's comment is about, it's not a mechanical vacuum gauge??:rolleyes:

OK thanks. Last question. Where is the Port to Plug it in , under bonnet ?

OK well the garage fitted the (USED) Throttle Body I bought off Ebay for £16 total. (Guess how much Garage charged me to take old one of and fit new one (go on have a guess) ?) NOW the car does NOT cut out randomly as it used (upto 8 times on a 30 mile trip and dangerously as just Cut off,no engine at all ) to BUT still makes the pop pop misfire type sound but runs "ok" (not good but ok) .Unplugged the MAP sensor and the engine ran much more smoothly so have ordered a new MAP sensor. Comments ?

Last edited:

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
OK well the garage fitted the (USED) Throttle Body I bought off Ebay for £16 total. (Guess how much Garage charged me to take old one of and fit new one (go on have a guess) ?) NOW the car does NOT cut out randomly as it used (upto 8 times on a 30 mile trip and dangerously as just Cut off,no engine at all ) to BUT still makes the pop pop misfire type sound but runs "ok" (not good but ok) .Unplugged the MAP sensor and the engine ran much more smoothly so have ordered a new MAP sensor. Comments ?
Well if the garage charged you more than an hour's labour to do the swap they stitched you up......possibly half an hour's work for someone that was really familiar with the K12 but one hour is more realistic if they hadn't done one before.....
If you paid less than £40 you did all right, a main 'stealer' would probably charge £100+:mad:. The misfire might just be down to a single faulty ignition coil or spark plug......Did you get an OBDII reader and get the codes? The one I linked to will not only give you a code but will detect a misfire and even tell you which cylinder it is on......