MA10 vs MA12 + exhaust vs. performance carb vs. inlet manifold...

pietro

Ex. Club Member
~~I have a M110 head K10... I have learnt from the forum that: ~~

A MA10 block is stronger than the MA12?

The inlet manifoold is more of a restriction then the exhaust manifold?

The stock exhaust is fine.

Cams will improve performance but change driving style?

~~ Best route to follow in order of gains... ~~

Bigger carn and inlet manifold.

Standerd exhaust with 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.

MA12 Head.

Performance Cam.

Job done?

Bhp expected?

None?!!

Do cams, exhaust, inlet and do it all properly and expect upto 50-70% increase in power, which a moderate loss of torque below 3000rpm.

So does anyone wanna put some approximate costs of each of those items here, it would be handy.

Maybe we should have an engine tuning thread.

new inlet manifold £250
new weber twin choke carb £175 2sc hand £50
stainless 4/2/1 exhaust manifold with system £400
piper cam £120
you not long spending £1000 for about 35 extra bhp
but these are the carbs you wont for your ma10/12 engine they would set you back about £750 ..
10-micra3.JPG

what carbs are they? and where can i get a 4-1 manifold made i cant find anywhere around me? ive contacted pro-speed and they have been slow replying and ive been told they wont make manifolds any more. which tbh put me off geting an exhaust from them. ive got a 34or 36ich webber on my car if i was to get a custom inlet would it b e worth changing the carb for a better one? bobsp can u make the su manifoldsfit? or how much work is involved in it? cheers for any answers bomb

bombz4 said:
what carbs are they? and where can i get a 4-1 manifold made i cant find anywhere around me? ive contacted pro-speed and they have been slow replying and ive been told they wont make manifolds any more. which tbh put me off geting an exhaust from them. ive got a 34or 36ich webber on my car if i was to get a custom inlet would it b e worth changing the carb for a better one? bobsp can u make the su manifoldsfit? or how much work is involved in it? cheers for any answers bomb

t

cheers what about the nova su inlet manifold what did it have to have modified to fit? and would i need a new plate to go between the carb and manifold?

bombz4 said:
cheers what about the nova su inlet manifold what did it have to have modified to fit? and would i need a new plate to go between the carb and manifold?

yes change the bottem plate and redrill to suit

can you buy the plates to match different cars manifolds? sounds quite easy tbh might have to take a trip to the scrappy. what nova was the su manifold on? might sound thick if its an su nova but i dont really have a clue about them!

but i am probarly talking french to some people there, I apologise....

So big SU's or twin choke webbers seem favourite for squirt, but which type of head is best to use?

Firstly, are MA12 and MA10 interchangable, and if so, which is the best to go for? Do you get larger valves / higher lift cam in an MA12 head to start with?

cheers in advance peeps

bobsp16 said:
these are the carbs you wont for your ma10/12 engine they would set you back about £750 ..
10-micra3.JPG

How did you make the inlet ?

and that's a twin weber setup, like the one kev tried once, right ? Did you get that set up properly ?

Okay, I fitted a ma12 inlet + carb on my ma10 engine today. Will test it tomorrow.

Just wanted to say that the ma10 and ma12 inlet manifold are exactly the same. I have been told here that the ma10 manifold was twisted and the ma12 manifold was smooth, well, they're both smooth !!

Ta,

Ne1LL

Ok, tested the car with an ma12 carb properly setup.

Gives a small but yet noticable gain in low revs (below 3000 rpm), but doesn't give any gain in high torque (Was hoping it would though).

Will try to make the needle bigger by gently drilling it. Will tell later if it worked out.

Greetz,

Ne1LL

Bob you could easy make this setup I am sure. The hard bit would be making the inlet for the twin webers, thats all.

Back