MA10 turbo?

stonesie

Grease Monkey!
Tonight 1 of my mates offered me a turbo which he believes to me a GT25 or very simmilar, i know Renault5 GTT carbs and recon kits sell for peanuts on fleabay and that the engine has a standard compression of about 9:1.

I know there will be more to it than that, mainly the exhaust system.

How is the standard K10 exhaust? farely restrictive or not too bad?

brakes... pulsar set up should be ok... will they fit under 14'' steelys from a late K11? want to keep it sleeper:wasntme:

oh and i can get hold of a good intercooler from a shogun 2.5TD for nothing....nice space next to the radiator:grinning:

Also what kind of power would this kind of setup yeald on a basicly standard lump?

will be a cheap and chearful gigglebox.... good for saxo/corsa chav box bateing

You need to forget all that right now and figure out how your going to deal with the fuel and ignition :)

Fuel- Reconditioned R5 GTTurbo carb on an adaptor plate

Sparks- either knock the timing back accross the board (bit of a bodge and would sap power off-boost) or use the boost sensing retard modual from a 5 turbo?

That sound decent?:laugh:

to be fare its just that the idea really appeals to me and i know i could pick up another MA10 for not much if it did go pop:laugh:

found 1 of those 5 turbo ignition ECU's for a tenner on ebay.... carb for a fiver.

supose to do the sparks properly it would take a proper ECU with boost sensing abbilitys, maby a megasquirt ecu using the existing dizzy as a crank position sensor and twin coil packs for a waisted spark system...... but that would defeat the budget nature of my finances:glance:

Ok well there are many options, so long as you know what your doing there youll be fine. As for the engine stock gasket will take around 80bhp i would guess, but your going to run into problems with compression ratio first, so as you said intercooler is essential. The stock K10 exhausts are appauling, but ok for sub 100 with a turbo (just). expect around 70-80bhp from around 0.7 bar. possibly more if your lucky it all depends on how the ignition and fuel copes.

I think about 80 bhp would be nice:laugh:

nicely over 100bhp/tonne, its for the new year really (might be changing jobs) but i really want to do this... It would be worth it for the WTF? looks on peoples faces when a dump valve goes off on a K10

Fueling though.... thats what kills most R5's, little paranoyed about this so i would fit a WBO2 sensor and fuel/air ratio gauge (i think any turbo car should have 1)

I am a fiddler though, as soon as it's running this setup i would be down the scrapper for a 2nd head and braek out the dremel for some home cooked porting... always after the next step:glance:

well after talking to a mate who did a simmilar conversion to a nova SR i am wondering weather some type of ecu is required to handle the sparks, he just retarded the timeing and says it was flat as a pancake untill it hit boost....

any ideas are welcome.

Look out fpr a WIP thread over the winter, picked up a box of bits that will make a MA10 at the weekend...... used to build engines for a living so this looks a straightforward little lump to build compared to say a VM diesel :glance:

just going to get the head skimmed and the block shot-blasted and hoaned as its been stored outside, new rings, bearings and gaskets and its game on for the bottom end.... probably a bit of port matching and valves faced/seats re-cut and off i go.

Nowthen the timeing issue is the only thing thats going to cause me a problem, i am still leaning towards the R5 ignition modual because i think the omex is going to cost more than the rest of this project put together...

might just knock the timing back 5° and try it, i know pinking when i hear it.

I won't name the RR in york but a weber 32/34DMTL is hardly a rare carb and he didn't know what the hell it was or how to re-jet it to my novas 1.4 engine despite me giving him all the code numbers a week before and asking if he had jets for it, obviously he said yes and he made it pink untill the 2nd choke openedgrr

Lock it at 5deg? your crazy! Under some conditions you could run over 40deg advance, thats a lot of lost efficiency!! I'll get a price on the omex ignition module for you. I would at a totally random guess assume somewhere around 300-400 ish including presusre sensors etc (you may find these cheaper elsewhere)

Ed said:
Lock it at 5deg? your crazy!

I said knock it back 5 degrees:grinning:

As in if the standard setting is 8°BTDC i would try it at 3 keeping the vac advance in place if i could... i will no doubt have problems with this conversion because if it was easy everyone would do it, I am good at problem solving though... not as good at putting it into words :laugh:

Lamo i didn't say i wasn't crazy though:laugh:

my final decision to go ahead was made today on the way to work when a gust of headwind knocked 10mph off my speed.... needs more get-up-and-go

(i think most of it's got up and gone):glance:

lol! i remeber that feeling! on windy days my k10 would go about 79mph :p and in the winter when it was snowing and windy id be lucky to get 60 lol

Back