MA10 turbo conversion

Hi all
Just wondering if someone wouldnt mind giving me a heads up , i have the chance to get my hands on a figaro manifold and turbo unit , if i were to build this in would there be many extra parts needed? My idea would be that if what i heard is right id like to temperarly build in using my stock carb slightly modded , ( restricts power output i know) but untill this summer would it be possible to build it using my stock carb? If so could someone tell me roughly what i would need so i can have a rough figure in my head of the cost? Im sorry if theres a blog build for this somewhere i looked but couldnt see one , any help would be good thanks :)

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Its never been done successfully that I've seen, and I've never tried such an approach myself. Me being me I'd jump right to EFI and do it right the first time. You may manage to get something working however. The K10 carb is sealed so in theory assuming you can compensate fuel pressure it may actually work.

Whatever you do keep it totally dead simple to begin with.

OP
OP
padraicR
the problem i was thinking of was that if i went to EFI , id atamatically need an ECU for that so it that was the case the handiest thing to do is get a full figaro engine and ECU and put into the k10 , and me an ECU's just dont go together :p i need to learn way more about them to attempt that just yet, gotta walk before i can run :p iv looked into this but i would aprciate if someone could share some thoughts on this:
http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html
i was wondering about this? i was planning on keeping my k10 standard , but im dying to mod :p want to learn new things haha

have you looked into megasquirt? pretty much build your own ecu.
i had the idea of taking a k11 injection system, either modifying the standard k10 intake manifold for injector bungs or a new manifold, then using megasquirt to control it. It also uses ford coilpack system for ignition system, instead of a dizzy. but you do have to build the whole thing like loom and maps for whole engine and install a variety of sensors.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
much easier to use figaro inlet manifold. If you were creative, you could use MA12 ECC distributor, and pulsar gtir loom/ecu

OP
OP
padraicR
it will certainly need consideration, im probably best off do the whole thing during the summer and go with ECC altogether , rather than trying to do half now half then, at least that gives me time to gather funds and do the job right the first time, thanks for the advice lads

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Couldnt you just fit some Figaro injectors to it? Surely they are just bolt on for the MA10s... Just an idea.

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Thats very true there mate completely forgot about that. I remember reading up on a guy who turboed a K10 just buy bolting on aload of Figaro parts but he also used the ECU.

mas12555

Rare parts nerd #JDM
Wasnt on here was some forum in Netherlands or Germany. Can't remember now as it was along time ago when I read it. I will see if I can find it mate. There is a turbo K10 thread on here (not porks), its quite recent too.

OP
OP
padraicR
yeah, iv been going through as much of this as i can, cant wait to clear up my exams and start serious work during the summer!!

h701micra

Deactivated Account
I turbo'd my ma10 without too much trouble. Can't remember how I did it but if I remember correctly it was the fueling issue that ed mentioned earlier. But I did get round it. The engine is in a corner somewhere. If I get a few mins in the week I'll get some info for you and parts used etc

h701micra

Deactivated Account
If your still planning on turbocharging that ma10 engine then heres what i could find out from scrap bits of paper
Couldn't look at the actual setup as that micra is sr20 powered now so that won't help you much :D

Anyway you have the manifold so that's the turbo on i guess, exhaust, inlet pipework, intercooler?, filters... etc
For the fueling issue used:
An inline high pressure fuel pump
Two inline fuel filters
Small 1litre swirl pot
A boost referenced fuel pressure regulator for carbs (ours is from america)

The boost referenced bit means that it will increase fuel pressure in relation to boost... The swirl pot we simply put in because we like to a constant supply closer to the engine. You'll have the high pressure circuit running to and from the swirl pot, then the engine can draw what it needs, which is constantly refilled by your pump.. Personally i've always done it.. No need to but i like shiny bits under the bonnet

I might have missed something but that's i think it worked for us... We've just got another poor micra to the collection and going back down the same route soon ... So i'll pop up a little build thread... A. if i remember and B. if i actually take pictures
I've promised many a build blog/thread and totally forgot on all but i'll try

Sorry i've taken so long to get back to you... putting subaru into a micra shell is fun but a time consuming challenge

OP
OP
padraicR
wow,
thanks a million im not a genius but i actually understand the layout your describing!
it seems possible, i have decided to wait till the summer so i can build it properly , ( exams over , ill work = proper funds )
i want to do this and do it right , so in the meantime im going to plan this down to minute details and actually put the car on the road!
thanks very much for your help! yes if you could manage a blog id love to see and im sure all the other lads would too!

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Your more than welcome
I'm not always on here but when and where i can i'll help you out
That sounds like a solid plan. If you have the manifold separate aswel as all the other parts then at least if it doesn't run right then you can easily take them off and return it to standard although the fuel pump and swirl pot setup wont hurt it boosted or non boosted