Lumpy idle

First of all happy new year to everybody :D Second of all the title isn't a description of me, though I have eaten well over the festive period ;). Anyways, having replaced my leaking water pump with a new one, problem solved, no more leak :D when I came to refit the timing belt I had a mare in that every time I rotated the engine to tension the belt the stoopid tensioner spring kept flying off. Never had this problem before but got it sorted now. The problem is I now have a lumpy idle, feels like it may cut out but doesn't, and some popping on the overrun (sounds cool through 4" stainless backbox but I'm sure its not) so my question is this...with all the faffing about fighting with the timing belt/tensioner/spring is it possible that I have slightly knocked out the cam timing and this is causing my issue or is it something else? I think I already know the answer and I am mentally preparing myself for doing the timing belt again tomorrow, but just need a second opinion from more experienced members on here ;). Thanks in advance, Ade :)

You can only set the belt by 'teeth' so it'll run terribly if it's one tooth out (about 5 degrees). You might want to set ignition timing and make sure you have all the vacuum hoses still in place.

OP
OP
MicrAde
You can only set the belt by 'teeth' so it'll run terribly if it's one tooth out (about 5 degrees). You might want to set ignition timing and make sure you have all the vacuum hoses still in place.
Thanks for your reply davidb :) . It is by no means running 'terribly',distributor hasn't been disturbed and it was ticking over fine before water pump was done and all vacuum hoses are in place and intact (all renewed with silicone hose)

I'd check the belt timing marks again just in case. ;)
Also check the ignition timing anyway, it's part of the changing belt process. :)

OP
OP
MicrAde
Happy days, redid timing belt this morning and car is now running beautifully :D Due to position of cam timing marks I had to use camera on phone to look at it square on and it did look slightly off :rolleyes: Anyway all sorted now and the upside is that I have had that much practise I can now do a timing belt in around 40 minutes! :D That bloody engine mount holds no fears now ;)