Lowering

Hi all,
I have a k12 dci, and I cant help but feel the car sits too high and the rear wheels so far in from the body. I was wondering if anyone has any experience track widening and lowering a k12 and what were the results? Was the ride improved or ruined, any reliability concerns or anything? Also I cant find any shortened drop links for a lowered k12, so what have people done there?

Thanks
Ricky

It depends on what you want, you could get "Standard" 30/30 lowering springs. Suspension will be as you are used to right now. Just lowered.

Or go a little more extreme and get coilovers. Based on whatever you like best. It will really stiffen the ride and give a more go kart feel to it.

About the Rims falling to far in. This is easily fixed with a Spacer or rims with a lower ET.

As an example:
Stock right height
b4122089dbb24f9121697225280f7bd4.jpg

To 30/30 Lowering springs
57ecf5667c8040084572778d7c4740de.jpg

And the coil-overs. also a 30/30 drop but the suspension is pretty stiff.
I have BC-Racing which gives me the oppertunity to adjust the shock absorbers in 30 ways. (1 being the most "smooth")
3da7b00468f1c5fcc4a10cde6dcb49a3.jpg

Mounted smaller inch wheels.

And it turned out like this.

17f96bed13674c7a9eade7116129a2d5.jpg

And this is just dropped down a little more and probably the max. (With these wheels and coilovers anyway)
Had to stiffen the absorbers to 30 to not make it rub my tires against the wheel arch.
8889e986b2dcfa780fe38e225de4b225.jpg

Theres a lot of possibilities with what look and feel you d like to give to your car.

Maybe give a short explanation of what rims you run/want to run and if you d like a smooth ride or a more sporty/go kart feel.

Cheers

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Last edited:
My car currently looks like this
Micra Drive.jpg

I love the debadged look and the factory wheels sprayed black, but when you really go for it the body rolls quite a bit and it lift off oversteers way too easy. Mainly I'd like to lower it for the look, i mean look how high she sits now. The rear spacers are aesthetic too, even on this pic you can then see it.

As awesome as coilovers all round sound, I'm only 19 and I dont know how the insurance company will view that :/ I was thinking some wider tyres as theyre only 155 factory and some sports shock absorers, partnered with the lowering should tighten the feel right up and help tackle the wallowing body roll.

Thanks
Ricky

Okay, so i think you got your suspension figured out.

The wheel dimensions i would go for with a 30/30 lowering would be a 17 inch, 7J wide rim with an ET of 40 all around And get two 5mm Spacers for the rear.

Use 205/40/17 tires
Whichever brand you d like.

I (of course) cant look inside your wallet but..
JR-Wheels gives you a great choice of wheels for a fairly nice price.

http://jr-wheels.com/index.php?action=przegladaj&kat=29#&action=przegladaj&kat=29

And down below a link with the right specs.
Just choose a color and Browse through the different styles.

http://jr-wheels.com/index.php?acti...][59]=59&c[3417][3487]=3487&et_od=38&et_do=40

Let me know if you have some more questions, and thanks for your compliment.

Love how K12's are 'rare'. makes it better when one shows up that isnt standard and grandma-like.

Yeah all seems nice, and those wheels look great! Might have to save up for a little bit though :p
Did you do anything about the drop links or keep the factory? Ive heard the adjustable drop links from a mk5 golf will fit and allow you to preload the antiroll bar........

Haha the K12 always has the impression of a grandma car. The funny thing is that the 1.4, 1.5dci and the 1.6 are all suprisingly nippy little engines, its not often I lose out at the lights :p

Thanks
Ricky

69eb329d6b5c9706525579564f26ed06.jpg

JR3

9b5e0cb0220b0dce460098a66dad869c.jpg

JR21

I think JR 22 would look great as well

And if you have a bigger budget. You could try and search for Sparco Silver pistas or O.Z. wheels.

Did you do anything about the drop links or keep the factory? Ive heard the adjustable drop links from a mk5 golf will fit and allow you to preload the antiroll bar

I did replace them for newer original ones, but no adjustables or any.

You could try it... but i dont know what that will do with the behaviour of the car in corners, you ll need to kind of fine tune it so your car corners alright.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I replaced the standard springs on my K12 Sport + with a standard set of 160 SR Sports springs and at the same time fitted Koni Sports rear shocks and 20mm hub-centric rear spacers. Has only dropped it by about 25mm at most but the sports springs seem to have a different spring rate which makes it firmer. Now goes round corners very 'flat' and generally handles a lot better.
fm3NMaa.jpg

Thankyou for your respones, I think I will fit 30/30 springs to lower it and look at filling the arches with nicer wheels. John, did you source the koni shocks in the UK, and if so were they expensive? Really struggling to find sports suspension parts here.....

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
From my blog: [url=https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/06-micra-160-sr-of-mika-the-finn.68442/]-06 Micra 160 SR of Mika The Finn[/URL]

And the lowering of my Micra vehicle.
Was done with => E10-63-010-01-22 Eibach Pro-Kit Federn fĂĽr Tieferlegung NISSAN MICRA III 25-30mm . With original tire size 185/50-16, diameter 591mm, clearance from wheel to fender is ~45mm. For SR160 lowering is 25-30mm with linked springs, that's low enough for me on Finnish roads and speed bumps with 16" wheels. I don't need to dramatically slow down when driving to speed bumbs, drive ways/yard roads and no rubbing to inner fenders ;) ;)
And these springs includes TUV-certificate in order to pass Finnish MOT.

Micra%20lowered_zpsskpomw1l.jpg

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Thankyou for your respones, I think I will fit 30/30 springs to lower it and look at filling the arches with nicer wheels. John, did you source the koni shocks in the UK, and if so were they expensive? Really struggling to find sports suspension parts here.....
I got lucky with the pair of Koni's. I found someone on ebay listing loads of different types in a 'clearance' sale and got the pair for ÂŁ75 inc carriage.:cool:. The ebayer's name is 'autopartjungle' . He is still listing lots but currently don't see any for the Micra. The Koni part number is 8050-1123 and is the same for Renault Clio 197's. If you look for Sports rear shocks to suit Mk3 Clio's they are exactly the same as K12 Micras.

Hello everyone!

Is an old topic but... 30/30 lowering springs for K12/1.2 (eibach pro kit) only the springs need to be changed or other parts of the suspension as well?

I got this eibach pro kit, I noticed there are only two dampers/rubbers for the front springs in this kit, but without dust covers so i used the original dust covers with "built-in" dampers... did I make a mistake? ? :eek:

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
To mine only springs were changed, and thicker wishbones at same time.

Тhanks for the reply.

Did you use the two rubber pieces provided in the kit (for the front springs)? I had to put back the original dust covers they also have built-in solid rubber pieces on the top - the rubber are just twice as long)

And that was my main concern because I used the original dust covers (with a longer solid rubber) on lower springs... :eek:?
762175_n.jpg

Why did you decide to go with thicker wishbones and from where you bought them? :)

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Rubber pieces provided in the kit were used.
One side didn't came off peacefully, so it had to be cut off = destroyed.
Thicker ones were available in Finnish automotive store.
Bought them from the Land of the Finns = Fin(e)land = Finland! ;)

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Rubber pieces provided in the kit were used.
One side didn't came off peacefully, so it had to be cut off = destroyed.
Thicker ones were available in Finnish automotive store.
Bought them from the Land of the Finns = Fin(e)land = Finland! ;)
Have we lost something in the translation here Mika? Sounds like you are talking about anti roll bar drop links instead of wishbones..... these?
s-l1600.jpg

These are the front wishbones......
s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the answers so far ?

Another question ? if i go a little bit lower - 50 mm. (eibach kit springs) should i buy adjustable drop links or I can still use the stock ones?
(also if I need to know/replace anything else except the springs of course ? for lowering 50 mm. please let me know )

Thanks!

Some food for thought. Recently replaced suspension and wheels on my 160sr. Used eibach Pro springs first, and standard shocks. Was virtually undrivable in town with pot holes. Had to run tyres at 20psi. Got 14 inch wheels fitted, with higher profile tyres. Slightly better. Then bilstein b8s, slightly better. Still too stiff, bumpy ride over pot holes. After a few months, had original 160sr springs refitted, but kept b8s. Now drives brilliantly, better than original. Offset on smaller wheels is lower, so they stick out 7mm wider. If you are after a daily driver, would recommend adjustable coilovers, so you can adjust to taste. Have a set of eibach Pro springs for free, if collected from Bristol.

Some food for thought. Recently replaced suspension and wheels on my 160sr. Used eibach Pro springs first, and standard shocks. Was virtually undrivable in town with pot holes. Had to run tyres at 20psi. Got 14 inch wheels fitted, with higher profile tyres. Slightly better. Then bilstein b8s, slightly better. Still too stiff, bumpy ride over pot holes. After a few months, had original 160sr springs refitted, but kept b8s. Now drives brilliantly, better than original. Offset on smaller wheels is lower, so they stick out 7mm wider. If you are after a daily driver, would recommend adjustable coilovers, so you can adjust to taste. Have a set of eibach Pro springs for free, if collected from Bristol.

Alright, thanks for the info. ? I put eibach springs 30/30 it rides just like with the original springs (I can't tell the difference ? ) but i didn't expect that with eibach 50/50 it can be that bad... :eek::poop:

Have a set of eibach Pro springs for free, if collected from Bristol.
It's a nice gesture, thanks for that ? unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, I am in The Netherlands in the last 2-3 years :)

PS you did not change roll bar drop links when you had install eibach 50/50 springs?

Alright, thanks for the info. ? I put eibach springs 30/30 it rides just like with the original springs (I can't tell the difference ? ) but i didn't expect that with eibach 50/50 it can be that bad... :eek::poop:

It's a nice gesture, thanks for that ? unfortunately I can't take advantage of it, I am in The Netherlands in the last 2-3 years :)

PS you did not change roll bar drop links when you had install eibach 50/50 springs?

I had the 30/30 eibach springs. I didn't drop the roll bar links, what do they do? Only dropped car by 3cms, but was quite violent going over worse pots holes, bouncing off them. I didn't think much of standard ride. The 185/60/14s made a big difference. Micra Sr wheels are really heavy. 14s much lighter. Not a fan of low profiles, much prefer fat donut wheels. An 80s thing. ?

Reading up, possibly could have done with shorter ones. Tbh, I thought standard 160sr was a harsh ride. Pot holes are really bad around bristol. I thought about the geometry after I lowered it, and it rode so bad, that I decided I'd had enough, and wanted comfort. The b8s are better/stiffer than oem, and the smaller wheels and bigger tyres, makes it more comfortable, without sacrificing road holding much. I should have looked into in more detail, but I'm done with lowering.

Hello im in need of help. My micra is in desperate need of lowering but my main concern is that im already experiencing the car bottom out when car is full of passengers, but im maybe hoping the stock springs are worn out ive no clue.

I have a k12 1.5 dci with jr 23 16x7 et 40

Hello im in need of help. My micra is in desperate need of lowering but my main concern is that im already experiencing the car bottom out when car is full of passengers, but im maybe hoping the stock springs are worn out ive no clue.

I have a k12 1.5 dci with jr 23 16x7 et 40

20230706_182514.jpg
20230706_182524.jpg

Last edited: