Lowering by cutting the springs

Since my little rocket passed it's inspection I can finally really start considering this. So I REALLY want to lower it quite a bit because to my eye it looks somewhat silly standing so high. I'd also like not to spend any money on it really and cutting the springs sounds like the best option. I know it most likely will suck to drive but believe me I'm not the kind of guy going after luxuries (or safety in that matter :D) :) I'd like to hear your opinions and info on this. I've never actually done it myself but from the vids I've watched about it from youtube, it looks easy enough with the proper tools.

2mm cutting disc and go slowly make sure not to let the springs get too hot. Take 1 full coil off the top and another off the bottom and bobs your uncle :p take a look at my blog and see what it'll look like.

OP
OP
Niko C
2mm cutting disc and go slowly make sure not to let the springs get too hot. Take 1 full coil off the top and another off the bottom and bobs your uncle :p take a look at my blog and see what it'll look like.

Thanks for the reply, looks better indeed but as a madman and a suicidal maniac I am, i'd like to go even lower, dunno why really, but I do haha :) It might start to cause some issues going TOO low tho I guess. But you feel it drives well and feels ok with the amount u took off?

Drives really well and is a little stiffer than the standard. I'm looking to go lower myself but if I do I don't think ill be able to get out my drive lol :p

Keep the bump stops in though because if you don't you'll be bouncing all over the road hahaha

OP
OP
Niko C
Drives really well and is a little stiffer than the standard. I'm looking to go lower myself but if I do I don't think ill be able to get out my drive lol :p

Keep the bump stops in though because if you don't you'll be bouncing all over the road hahaha

Hahah yeah that would suck :D What if i'd cut lets say 1,5 coil from the top and bottom, dunno 2 might work too, sounds like very much tho. Well the last thing I want is cops stopping me because my exhaust is scraping the floor making fireworks (edit: my exhaust is so rusty anyways, I think 1 touch with anything concrete will make a giant hole(s) in it :D)

Enuo

Glorified Electrician
1mm stainless disc and as quick as poss eh

Slow allows heat transfer :)
Its only if it gets red hot that ab
No permanent changes occur unless the metal gets red hot, but as a general rule if you're cutting, use a cutting disc. Basic stuff thay a lot of people ignore :)

h701micra

Deactivated Account
Its only if it gets red hot that ab
No permanent changes occur unless the metal gets red hot, but as a general rule if you're cutting, use a cutting disc. Basic stuff thay a lot of people ignore :)
Prefer minimal heat :p
So rapid cutting disc ftw

I blasted through mine, but after cutting the first spring I had my apprentice cut the rest. Making her stop every now and agian to let the spring cool, and to be honest take the grinder from her to make sure I don't lose a finger lol

i cut 2 3/8 turns off my front springs, and its about a 50mm drop. they only just stayed seated in the cups, but they passed an MOT.

I think he was wondering If you can do it on both the top and bottom. Personally I think it would be a bad idea to do it on both the top and the bottom. It would more than likely be too much off them.

OP
OP
Niko C
Thanks for all the info, I think I know everything I need for now :) I hate to make new threads all the time so might aswell use this one for another thing I've had in mind, as my pimp my micra thread sort to say... I got blue led strip I have no use for and I'm putting in use as my gauges back-lighting, I got all the electrical stuff handled for now BUT wanted to check what stuff, hidden screws and such I need to remove to get access to the gauges? All bits of info is appreciated again !

Thanks for all the info, I think I know everything I need for now :) I hate to make new threads all the time so might aswell use this one for another thing I've had in mind, as my pimp my micra thread sort to say... I got blue led strip I have no use for and I'm putting in use as my gauges back-lighting, I got all the electrical stuff handled for now BUT wanted to check what stuff, hidden screws and such I need to remove to get access to the gauges? All bits of info is appreciated again !
You won't be able to use it as you're instrument back lighting. You need to replace the existing bulbs from the rear of the cluster and replace them with blue leds. I found this not to give enough light for the needles so put white leds in, which strangely enough give a blue glow but a lighter one.

i cut from the top and no, they weren't any stiffer. i gained handling by lightweighting the car.
i would suggest only cutting the spring from one end. if you're going to weaken the material, its better to only weaken it at one end.

h701micra

Deactivated Account
i cut from the top and no, they weren't any stiffer. i gained handling by lightweighting the car.
i would suggest only cutting the spring from one end. if you're going to weaken the material, its better to only weaken it at one end.
Simple mathematics suggest springs get stiffer once cut
No material is weakened so long as its cut quickly
Only end to be cut is a square end not a pig tail
Lightweight doesnt "gain" handling. Too much detail for this time of night to explain

so is it better to have a 2Ton micra? no. having a lightweight car means you can make the most of the suspension set-up you have, effectively improving it. simples. too much detail for this time of day to explain...

h701micra

Deactivated Account
so is it better to have a 2Ton micra? no. having a lightweight car means you can make the most of the suspension set-up you have, effectively improving it. simples. too much detail for this time of day to explain...
Tom no offence but its clear your knowledge of suspension is limited. A 2 ton micra WILL handle much better than a lighter one. It has the weight to keep it on the road and maintain traction

Light ones are just quicker.
You can't take any advantage of any suspension if it isn't adjustable and set up accordingly. You can change ride height and moderately spring rates by cutting... that's probably out of the dampers range and not ideal for the springs given nor the cars weight. Sprung and unsprung. Like most people I assume you've lost sprung weight and added unsprung weight... adding to my point above

If lightweight was the answer to handling why do you think aero devices such as spoilers and canards create massive down force? To effectively make the car heavier whilst in motion keeping it planted to the floor.
Light cars like mine (626kg) tend to lift and get skittish approx 80/90mph. Underbody aero and correct SETUP suspension and it now doesn't budge at approx 130mph

Last edited:

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Tom no offence but its clear your knowledge of suspension is limited. A 2 ton micra WILL handle much better than a lighter one. It has the weight to keep it on the road and maintain traction not to it'll withstand

Light ones are just quicker.
You can't take any advantage of any suspension if it isn't adjustable and set up accordingly. You can change ride height and moderately spring rates by cutting... that's probably out of the dampers range and not ideal for the springs given nor the cars weight. Sprung and unsprung. Like most people I assume you've lost sprung weight and added unsprung weight... adding to my point above

If lightweight was the answer to handling why do you think aero devices such as spoilers and canards create massive down force? To effectively make the car heavier whilst in motion keeping it planted to the floor.
Light cars like mine (626kg) tend to lift and get skittish approx 80/90mph. Underbody aero and correct SETUP suspension and it now doesn't budge at approx 130mph

A prime example of the first point is the GTR. A beast of a car with immense traction.

OP
OP
Niko C
Ok guys and gals and.. the ones with all the stuff. If you had a 60cm led strip with pretty powerful leds (blue) where would you put it? I currently use it as my gauge lighting but it somewhat sucks in it's current ghetto setup where I just taped it around the thing like so: http://imgur.com/a/oSxos (extra pic of my much rally very speed steelies) The leds are quite bright, but they don't really bother me in there even if driving in dark, but I had a wild idea of putting them here: http://imgur.com/mpXkfPL (behind the grill of course :D) Now, I know what you're all thinking, yes it's ricer as fak, yes it's.. retarded, but lifes too short to be.. normal anyways.. I'd like to hear good ideas of places to put the leds in tho, I can't make my mind..

Oh, and just to clarify I am aware it's pretty much against the law to put the leds where I thought of putting them. I have a switch for them at least so I can turn them off if needed :)