Lowering AGAIN

I've been reading the recent threads about lowering with interest.

I originally intended to do things in stages, I was going to fit Eibach Pro Kit springs for a short time on the standard shocks using the same strut top mounts and not even changing the rear spring isolator bushes, literally I was hoping to just fit the springs, see how it performed and proceed from there.

Depending what you advice you read some folk say standard shocks are good as long as the drop isn't drastic, others say it's a heinous crime to do that.

Upon inspection I discovered the top nuts of my existing shocks were rusted and most likely wouldn't come off without some destructive improvisation so that put an end to my wanting to do things in stages.

So now I need to buy two front shocks (and the back pair and isolator bushes) and the new strut top mount kits, there's no point faffing around buying some temporary replacements so I am buying a set of four Bilstein B8's, the other advantage is that I can build the suspension legs easier on the bench instead of having to dismantle and use the old shocks which will no longer be serviceable anyway because of the rusty top nuts.

If you add up the cost of buying the best quality components, the cost of lowering a K12 isn't just the cost of some springs, to do a thorough complete job with the best parts you also have to buy the front top strut mount kits, two sets of rear spring isolator bushes, add those to the cost of the springs and new shocks then you are easily having to spend somewhere in the region of £500-£600.

Moral of my story is plan to spend more than you think if you want a proper job.

IMG_0056.jpeg
IMG_0057.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg

Last edited:
yes you are right, I just ripped the lot out and replaced with new, including new inner and outer track rod ends, new brakes front and back drives like new and well worth the effort, check out my parts list and you can save lots.:unsure:

This is an expensive modification to justify the cost of, I said £500-600, actually its closer to £800, I am not including track rod ends in my estimation either.

My 1.4 Sport is even with the standard suspension very direct and chuckable so I can't wait to get the new suspension fitted.

After a long chats with the KYB Technical (Micra K12 factory OEM shock absorber supplier) I have decided to return the Eibach Pro springs and am going with the Sportline springs with new KYB gas shocks at significantly lower cost than Bilstein's.

Was looking at a SR160 donor car to remove all parts from including suspension system..bumpers wheels and interior trim.
Mainly looking at the front and rear bumper but noticed that I could get a lot more this way it is a none starter but the engine turns. 2005 and very tidy condition indeed.
Would this be possible to just swap over and not buy anything else.
Only down side I can see is the bumpers would need a respray.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Lowering of my Micra vehicle.
Was done with E10-63-010-01-22 Eibach Pro-Kit Federn für Tieferlegung NISSAN MICRA III 25-30mm . With original tire size 185/50-16, diameter 591mm, clearance from wheel to fender is ~45mm. For SR160 lowering is 25-30mm with linked springs, that's low enough for me on Finnish roads and speed bumps with 16" wheels. I don't need to dramatically slow down when driving to speed bumbs, drive ways/yard roads and no rubbing to inner fenders.
And these springs includes TUV-certificate in order to pass Finnish MOT.

14863257.jpg

This is an expensive modification to justify the cost of, I said £500-600, actually its closer to £800, I am not including track rod ends in my estimation either.

My 1.4 Sport is even with the standard suspension very direct and chuckable so I can't wait to get the new suspension fitted.

After a long chats with the KYB Technical (Micra K12 factory OEM shock absorber supplier) I have decided to return the Eibach Pro springs and am going with the Sportline springs with new KYB gas shocks at significantly lower cost than Bilstein's.

I had the kyb shocks fitted when I had the suspension replaced, and eibach pro springs added. They dont work well with the pro springs. I've got a pair of bilstein b8s for the rear, waiting to be fitted. Also have some 14 inch autec wheels, and 185/60/14 tyres on order. If they do the trick, will get the bilstein b8s for the front. If not, will go back to standard 160sr springs.

I had the kyb shocks fitted when I had the suspension replaced, and eibach pro springs added. They dont work well with the pro springs. I've got a pair of bilstein b8s for the rear, waiting to be fitted. Also have some 14 inch autec wheels, and 185/60/14 tyres on order. If they do the trick, will get the bilstein b8s for the front. If not, will go back to standard 160sr springs.

Not sure if this is good or bad for lowered springs, but the rear bilsteins compress more easily and release more quickly than the kyb shocks. Hope this is a positive thing.

Ah I see were they the standard oil KYB shocks or the Excel-G gas type

Excel G. Tbh, I was initially disappointed with their appearance. The metal ring around the casing looked a bit cheap. I know that doesn't say much, but it's what I thought. I was persuaded to buy them, by re views and garb.

The tyres on the back which came with the car, I've found are the cheapest Chinese they are, so probably doesn't help.

The smaller wheel and larger profile Michelins should improve things.

Will let you know when the bilsteins have been fitted, if they make a difference.

Ah I see were they the standard oil KYB shocks or the Excel-G gas type

Even if I go back to standard springs, I will not be putting the excel gs back on. If you can wait a month (doing rear first), and can collect them from bristol, you can have the rear and front kyb for nothing. Only a few weeks old.

That's an immensely kind offer, thanks!

I'd be very interested to know how your car is with the Bilstein's fitted, I agree also that the tyres and wheels make a difference to the feel of the car, I am currently running Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyres, they have good grip but are let down by the fuel economy, my car still on the standard suspension springs and shocks is I'd say a medium firm ride. I generally read that Eibach's either Pro or Sportline are pretty much the same in terms of comfort just lower.

Your tyre/wheel size combination are unusual, I don't think we could make a direct comparison because of that because the tyres do affect the feel of the car so much.

That's an immensely kind offer, thanks!

I'd be very interested to know how your car is with the Bilstein's fitted, I agree also that the tyres and wheels make a difference to the feel of the car, I am currently running Kumho Ecsta HS51 tyres, they have good grip but are let down by the fuel economy, my car still on the standard suspension springs and shocks is I'd say a medium firm ride. I generally read that Eibach's either Pro or Sportline are pretty much the same in terms of comfort just lower.

Your tyre/wheel size combination are unusual, I don't think we could make a direct comparison because of that because the tyres do affect the feel of the car so much.

I'm having rears done friday, will know then whether to get bilsteins for front.

The wheel/tyre combo I've gone for is almost the same total diameter and width, but will give a softer ride. Did it for comfort, although have also read a lighter wheel will give better responsiveness. I do know the standard 160 sr wheels are heavy alloys, and 14s will be lighter, offset by larger tyre walls.

The higher side wall of the higher profile tyres will certainly make a difference how the car feels compared to the set up you'll have with the standard 160SR/Sport alloys, I agree your intended set up would be somewhat more comfortable however not sure about the trade off between comfort and handling...

Sparky2018, I think having a complete donor car is a great idea for the mechanical parts you'll need however if the donor car is the same pre 2008 facelift version then the interior trim won't be any different form your current car. Just last week I installed the facelift centre console and radio surround/air vents into my 56 plate K12. I have the pre facelift centre console and double height radio surround for sale, I posted some photos of them, have a look here: FOR SALE

The parts that I would use would include.
Door trims both sides
Bumpers
Suspension
Wheels
Headlights look good.
Maybe a couple other items like rear spoiler etc.
An Sr 160 engine would be a spare that could be of use to someone.
since the ones I have one side is good but arm rest dented.
The other side the window button or door handle is damaged.
Not that fussy about a double din radio but I do like the sat nav versions.
However the vehicle does not have either it has the single with the top box coin holder.
And I assume it also has the cluster that differs being rev counter and speedometer reversed.

The 16 inch wheels are okay but they add a lot of extra weight as some have pointed out.
I do like them though.

I can post the link if anyone is interested in this SR160 because I don't think I'm going to be able to do it this year.
The distance would be an issue but if your near the area its not so bad.
It could be an easy fix for someone as does not look as though much is missing from the engine bay though it says it does not start.

Last edited:
It is a nice looking motor at that price.
You would have to pay registration fee to bid though.
And if no one else does its a cheap motor still.

Don't think many will want a Nissan micra because it's got so many other great vehicles.
Depends really on if the price is correct or of the bids are not showing

Eibach Sportline springs arrived today, they will be fitted with an otherwise 99.9% stock setup, same shocks, same top mounts, literally just the springs and the top nuts. I want to do as much as a like for like comparison that I can, I am expecting these to be a slightly harder ride than stock that's fine with me as it is a tiny bit soft, supposedly these don't compromise a great deal in comfort.

I have also just sourced a MK3 Clio Renaultsport rear axle with discs for a very good price, I am told the disc conversion can also be achieved by just changing everything from the stub axle outwards using Clio Renaultsport parts, I will now get a Micra rear axle and have them both on the floor for side by side for inspection and comparison, cleaning and trial fitment and testing on another Micra I have, I haven't forgot the ABS issue, which apparently also isn't an issue, there is an interchangeable Renault part from a Modus.

IMG_0235.jpeg

Glad the
Eibach Sportline springs arrived today, they will be fitted with an otherwise 99.9% stock setup, same shocks, same top mounts, literally just the springs and the top nuts. I want to do as much as a like for like comparison that I can, I am expecting these to be a slightly harder ride than stock that's fine with me as it is a tiny bit soft, supposedly these don't compromise a great deal in comfort.

I have also just sourced a MK3 Clio Renaultsport rear axle with discs for a very good price, I am told the disc conversion can also be achieved by just changing everything from the stub axle outwards using Clio Renaultsport parts, I will now get a Micra rear axle and have them both on the floor for side by side for inspection and comparison, cleaning and trial fitment and testing on another Micra I have, I haven't forgot the ABS issue, which apparently also isn't an issue, there is an interchangeable Renault part from a Modus.

View attachment 72162

Glad they've arrived, can't wait to see how they look. Tbh, can't see them working with standard shocks. With pro springs, for me, found car to be undriveable. Sports springs even worse, little damping, as they will be compressed so much. You have to try it though for yourself. My 14 inch wheels with 185/60/14 tyres, was a good improvement in ride, and fitting blistein b8s to rear, made an equally good improvement to ride. I've got the b8s for the front, being fitted next Tuesday. For me, that will make ride spot on. Have to admit, I have lost steering feedback from the higher profile tyres, but still sticks like glue to the road. Just takes a bit of guessing with steering. Use my car as a daily driver in town, so no option really. Stainless exhaust next, and increase air flow. Then brakes. There's always something else.

Glad they've arrived, can't wait to see how they look. Tbh, can't see them working with standard shocks. With pro springs, for me, found car to be undriveable. Sports springs even worse, little damping, as they will be compressed so much. You have to try it though for yourself. My 14 inch wheels with 185/60/14 tyres, was a good improvement in ride, and fitting blistein b8s to rear, made an equally good improvement to ride. I've got the b8s for the front, being fitted next Tuesday. For me, that will make ride spot on. Have to admit, I have lost steering feedback from the higher profile tyres, but still sticks like glue to the road. Just takes a bit of guessing with steering. Use my car as a daily driver in town, so no option really. Stainless exhaust next, and increase air flow. Then brakes. There's always something else.

I have to admit I think what you say about them not working together is indeed the most likely outcome, that's fine I love experimenting, I don't mind a harder then stock ride but of course even that has a limit, I have my beady eye on these if the expected happens. I quite like (adore even o_O) the stock 16" alloys so they are staying, I'd like to fit some 205/45/16 tyres (for the aesthetics again) as they're the same circumference as 185/50/16 just wider and lower profile of course so the effect on the harshness of the ride would be increased even more so I'll likely hold off doing those until I know the outcome of the shock absorbers.

I am excited about the rear disc conversion too, once again I am prepared for the unexpected, I know the additional stopping performance of the rear discs isn't necessary, it is for aesthetic reasons I am doing it, rear drums look so ugly however nice you dress them up the extra stopping power can't be a bad addition so wins all round.

Take it step by step, so you don't waste any money. Read up loads on wheels and tyres, to sort mine out. Wasted £270 on fitting standard excell gs when I did suspension and lowering. Came across some info saying wider tyres give a harsher ride. Perhaps the excell gs were particularly crap, and I could have got away with standard wheels and tyres? Have a complete 160sr suspension and wheels to sell on ebay. Wheels are pretty much immaculate.

b8s made a big difference on rear, having them fitted to front on tues. If you read up on them, witn lowering, it explains why. Koni orange and yellow ones are just as good apparently.

I understand about the wheels. I'll see how the car is with the Sportlines and change for B8's all around if necessary which is most likely

The Bilstein stuff I ordered FINALLY arrived today, am quite excited now, especially as @Lovemy160srtobits and others have rated the B8's so highly but I have decided to delay the fitting and rear disc conversion for a few weeks, I think it'd be better to get the rear subframe blasted and powder coated if I am going to put all this other sexy new stuff on, if I didn't that would be like putting an Armani suit on a scarecrow.

IMG_0383.JPG
iu.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't think you will be dissapointed.
Was half hoping you might have gone ahead with lowering without them, for your reaction ?. Still loving mine. Can drive over pot holes, and no big deal. You can feel them, but dampers are dealing with them great. Was so bad without b8s, had to run low pressure in tyres. Looking forward to seeing a pic of yours lowered.
I've complained about my car being a bit slow off the mark. Ran 2 lots of the more expensive injector cleaner through car,. They claimed better responce and mpg. Wasnt convinced, but much better/quicker response, and extra 3 mpg. and made quite a difference. Well worth it.

Don't think you will be dissapointed.
Was half hoping you might have gone ahead with lowering without them, for your reaction ?. Still loving mine. Can drive over pot holes, and no big deal. You can feel them, but dampers are dealing with them great. Was so bad without b8s, had to run low pressure in tyres. Looking forward to seeing a pic of yours lowered.
I've complained about my car being a bit slow off the mark. Ran 2 lots of the more expensive injector cleaner through car,. They claimed better responce and mpg. Wasnt convinced, but much better/quicker response, and extra 3 mpg. and made quite a difference. Well worth it.

Excited here...yes that was my original intention to lower without new shocks however I noted what you'd said with interest so I decided to just go all the way...so it's all your fault ha ha ;)

I have changed cars, I will be lowering and applying the rear disc conversion to the Chic, I was at first reluctant however in terms of real world performance there is very little between the 86hp 1.4 and 80hp 1.2, I've said all along I am doing the upgrades for mostly aesthetic reasons with that in mind I think the Chic will look great lowered.

What injector cleaner did you use?

Used stp and profi fuel max. Also used eco clean. Used 3 in 6 weeks. Ran it rich for a couple of weeks, ie more cleaner less petrol. Didnt push the car. Done the trick.

Can't believe you sold your micra. Couldnt wait to see it. Using Pro kit changed shape/perception and ride, all good. Looks a little like the fiat 500. Sport kit would have looked brill. New wheels with smaller offset, or a thin ish good wheel spacer even better.

Like the rear of the clio.

Used stp and profi fuel max. Also used eco clean. Used 3 in 6 weeks. Ran it rich for a couple of weeks, ie more cleaner less petrol. Didnt push the car. Done the trick.

Can't believe you sold your micra. Couldnt wait to see it. Using Pro kit changed shape/perception and ride, all good. Looks a little like the fiat 500. Sport kit would have looked brill. New wheels with smaller offset, or a thin ish good wheel spacer even better.

You will like the b8s. Makes mine ride like a normal car, but lower. You can sense the wheels going up and down over pot hole, but its cushioned, so no noticeable bumps. When i first did suspension change, mechanic thought I was mental. I'd paid 1200 for all new suspension, and it drove like a brick (with standard shocks). Tried forcing myself to like it, just felt like a big waste. Totally love it now, although had to get smaller wheels and bigger tyres as well, to get it how I wanted. I don't think nissan did a great job on 160sr suspension and wheels. Great for the heavier cc.

Getting exhaust done next. Then having head ported and gas flowed. 1.6 has tonnes of torque, but reckon it could do better with getting air in and out quicker, a bit more peaky.

Had a quick look, think there might be an ecu remap available for 1.2. Worth looking into, if its cheap/worthwhile. Think generally doesn't make much difference to a non turbo small car. Every little helps though. Found a you tube clip of a k11 nut, who claimed to have got loads more power from simple cheap mods.

It does look like that mint green Fiat 500 colour however that is where the similarity ends, it is 100% a Micra. Truth be known I much prefer 3 door K12’s however the Chic only came in 5 door, I can look past the amount of doors as I love the colour so much, have wanted one since 2008, it was too good an opportunity not to take. Nonetheless I think the Chic will also look great once it’s been lowered.

Cheers, what exhaust have you fitted? have you decatted? Is it a whole system or just the rear section? The head work is exciting, not heard of anyone getting the HR16DE engine machined, combined with a new exhaust that should make your car a cracker to drive legally fast :cool:

A remap for the 1.2 petrol engine?
Do you have a link or name?

Sorry, I meant there was a remap for clio chic. I was looking at the clio, as I thought that was the chic you had bought. Was horrified at the thought. Its 100kg heavier, and was trying to find some positives for the clio chic ?.

Getting a bespoke muffler and mid section, as no aftermarket sports exhausts for 160sr now. Don't think mine has a cat, as its a 2005. Think its why my road tax is so expensive.

You are going to love the b8s. After a few weeks of driving, theyre performing even better. Its not just them being shorter, so you get the correct damping with car lowered, its a better quality shock as well. They're single tubed, as apposed to twin. Twins are used mostly, as they're cheaper to manufacture, but don't perform as well as singles.

I'm happy with pro spring stance of car, but looked at some pictures of lower standard looking micras, and they do look great.

Last night, was driving through a stretch of road with multi lane roundabouts. There was a large bmw, looked, possibly a 4 series, that had a wide unpainted body kit on it. Lowered, very low profile tyres, no arch gap. Wasnt really racing it, but it couldn't keep up going around bends and roundabouts. Bouncing all over the place, despite its weight.

Thats what I love about micras, the nimbleness. You can safely drive fast around any bend, and easily stick to your lane.

Want to see a picture of yours as soon as you've done it.

Will write something tomorrow...

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0525.jpeg
    IMG_0525.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 189
So...a few words about the lowering, my very very first thought the moment it was finished was disappointment, it didn't look as low as I'd expected.

Of course it's lower, the cavernous space between the wheel arches and wheels with standard height suspension has obviously been reduced however I expected it to be lower because these are the Eibach Sportline springs which are supposedly lower than the Eibach Pro Kit springs.

I read that there is a settling in period the length of which differs depending what you read, in this period I can allegedly expect the cars appearance to be lower so lets see how it looks next weekend.

I've had cars lowered before and the aesthetic impact was instant such as on an E92 BMW and Audi S3, no settling in period or not one I was aware of.

I honestly cannot feel any of the night and day comfort difference between standard and lowered suspension, I can notice it handles so much better.

Last edited:
As with all tensile steel there is a measured amount of stress trapped into the steel during manufacture and this needs time and weight to distribute and bed into its new home!?