London Ultra Low Emissions Zone ULEZ

Hi all

ULEZ affects all cars which don't reach EURO4 standard, introduced around 2006. If your car is older, from April 19 you have to pay the surcharge 24/7 in the Congestion Zone, and from October 2021, 24/7 in all of London between the north and south circular roads. This means scrapping or selling to someone outside London.

BUT according to
http://www.emissionsfinder.com/nissan-micra-k11-series-10-3-5-door-10cc
my 2001 micra and many others have such low emission figures:
CO: 0.614g/km THC: 0.064g/km NOx: 0.028g/km
that despite being registered as EURO3
Euro 3 emissions standards (petrol) CO: 2.3g/km THC: 0.20g/km NOx: 0.15g/km
they pass EURO4
Euro 4 emissions standards (petrol) CO: 1.0g/km THC: 0.10g/km NOx: 0.08g/km.

Transport for London wrote I should make my case for exemption by sending in my registration document,
which MIGHT show the 3 emissions figures - unfortunately it doesn't,
and therefore also a letter from Nissan confirming the 3 figures.

Nissan customer services refuse to send such a letter, but only instead a Certificate of Conformity for £114.
I told Nissan many Nissan owners in the London will want to know they can keep their car, and how great it is Micras have such
low emissions, before regulations required them. So if they could inform TfL which cars (from VIN numbers XXX to YYY) conform,
it would be a bonus for the brand they could even advertise, and save us and TfL a lot of trouble applying for each car individually,
and much expense for those who just don't know about it (obviously here, TfL is not that keen).
"A letter isn't going to happen" - it seems they want to make £114 as many times as possible.

TfL are not interested in live emission figures from a test centre - also it seems MOTs don't measure in the same way.

Does anyone have a better idea?
Or want to join in asking Nissan again?

Cheers Daniel

Tbh your fighting a losing game , gpverment, concils, ect don't want older car , same as Nissan doesn't want them on the roads ,think of how many people with k11s use oem spares from Nissan , very little ,unless they could profit from it they won't be interested.
We run Nissan d21 diesels again the government ect don't want them on the road, even know they are very capable of running alternative fuels , veg oil for one

Hi all

ULEZ affects all cars which don't reach EURO4 standard, introduced around 2006. If your car is older, from April 19 you have to pay the surcharge 24/7 in the Congestion Zone, and from October 2021, 24/7 in all of London between the north and south circular roads. This means scrapping or selling to someone outside London.

BUT according to
they pass EURO4

Transport for London wrote I should make my case for exemption by sending in my registration document,

Nissan customer services refuse to send such a letter, but only instead a Certificate of Conformity for £114.
I told Nissan many Nissan owners in the London will want to know they can keep their car, and how great it is Micras have such
low emissions, before regulations required them. So if they could inform TfL which cars (from VIN numbers XXX to YYY) conform,
it would be a bonus for the brand they could even advertise, and save us and TfL a lot of trouble applying for each car individually,
and much expense for those who just don't know about it (obviously here, TfL is not that keen).
"A letter isn't going to happen" - it seems they want to make £114 as many times as possible.

TfL are not interested in live emission figures from a test centre - also it seems MOTs don't measure in the same way.

Cheers Daniel

Pollution Levels & Old Vehicles

Vehicle exhaust fumes & particulate particles pollution cause multiple health hazard diseases & premature deaths that are a far greater priority to minimise than prolonging the unnecessary polluting use of old vehicles that do not comply with recent European exhaust testing regulations.

People’s health is more important than keeping dirty polluting old bangers that pay higher Road Tax (K11) @ £150 compared to equivalent modern vehicles with zero or £30 road tax?

Quote:More than 40 towns and cities in the UK are at or have exceeded air pollution limits set by the World Health Organization, its new report has found.
The WHO estimates that 30 areas have fine-particle air pollution levels above 10 micrograms per cubic metre, with another 17 at that limit.4 May 2018” :eek:

References; https://www.google.com/search?clien...evels+in+London+exceeding+World+health+levels

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43964341

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
HI Plmval

Post 2001 K11 DO comply with 2006 European exhaust testing regulations, same as post 2006 cars which are permitted.
Please explain how 2001 K11 fail in your view?

Daniel

HI Plmval

Post 2001 K11 DO comply with 2006 European exhaust testing regulations, same as post 2006 cars which are permitted.
Please explain how 2001 K11 fail in your view?

Daniel

I think you've missed that things are about to change
From 8 April 2019 if you travel in the ULEZ you will need to pay the daily ULEZ charge. This is because your vehicle does not meet the ULEZ standards*.

that's the message I got for my 1999 K11 https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

OP
OP
D
Hi Plmval

I precisely wrote that things are about to change - please read my message carefully.
As for your K11 1999, it's EURO2 standard, and does indeed NOT pass EURO4.
K11 from 2001 are EURO3, and by chance DO pass EURO4 too.
So do you still think 2001 K11 should not be on the roads?

Daniel

The K11 would have been tested & certified in 1992/3 for type approval when introduced & it is unlikely that anyone would pointlessly fund repetition certification for facelifts to subsequent regulations.

Recognised verifiable & audited certification to the required updated Euro 4 standards appears to be required to comply with proposed London ULEZ, as you state.

Additionally the simple comparison with ambiguous unverified published exhaust K11 pollution figures that are unsubstantiated to Euro 4 standards are insufficient as certification of compliance is the standard required.

Quote:
“ULEZ affects all cars which don't reach EURO4 standard, introduced around 2006. If your car is older, from April 19 you have to pay the surcharge 24/7 in the Congestion Zone, and from October 2021, 24/7 in all of London between the north and south circular roads”.

When the new ULEZ rules apply, you will have the option of paying the proposed ULEZ & carbon credits congestion charge or of buying a compliant vehicle, whichever is the most economically viable option for your use requirements.
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Hi plmval

Thanks for your answer.
All TfL have asked for is a single figure for NOx, supported by a letter from Nissan homologation department, or a certificate of conformity, to grant me an exemption. I presume however I get the figure from Nissan, it will pass the EURO4 level, even if it's not the same figure as shown on the website I found. If not, that's life.
The figure I found is so far unverified, but why ambiguous?
On what authority are you writing all these things to me,
as if it's not clear from my message that I would know most of them?
Do you still want to persuade me that my old car pollutes too much - on what basis?

As for "pointless repetition certificates", these are definitely required for each engine size, type, and modification, and upgrade to new EURO emission standards. As I wrote, 1999 models had to meet EURO2, but 2001 cars had to meet EURO3, and therefore be designed differently, and tested/certified. Isn't that logical?

Daniel

Regulation standard of ULEZ requires independent EURO 4 certified compliant vehicles & not ambiguous counterparty anecdotal hearsay figures from vested interest groups such as the motor industry that you appear to consider viable.

Quote; “All TfL have asked for is a single figure for NOx, supported by a letter from Nissan homologation department, or a certificate of conformity, to grant me an exemption”

Tfl appear to have an option for retrospective EURO 4 compliance testing/certification of non-compliant vehicles where cherry picking by individuals would be unacceptable to administer. After the VW emission’s scandal I rather suspect that any rational administration of vehicle emissions standards & testing is unlikely to consider random motor industry pollution figures with merit.

The spirit of the ULEZ is to limit vehicle pollution to internationally accepted levels to protect health & social societal costs against the vested interests of the free market profit motivated big business & its polluting products. This environmental protection progress is in everyone’s interests, yours, mine & The Garden of Eden, the environment.

Good luck & I look forward with interest to your referenced verifiable evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
It's most probable that all 2001+ K11 comply with EURO4, before EURO4 was introduced, because of they were designed to produce the right level of NOx. When I get the official figure, I'll let you know. It might even be lower than many other later EURO4 cars.

Everything you have taken the trouble to write at such length has added nothing and seems to be to discourage me and make me feel bad. You continuously imply my car is harming the environment without knowing the facts.

My interest in keeping old cars going - if they meett EURO4 standards - is to save the energy and materials used in building new cars.
You seem to think the car industry wants to keep old cars on the road. They don't - presumably that's
why Nissan want to charge me for the certificate. They want to build new cars, and want the scrappage
awards from the taxpayer to subsidise their profits.

"ambiguous counterparty anecdotal hearsay"
are you a poet?

"figures from vested interest groups such as the motor industry that you appear to consider viable."
I don't consider them viable - I just suspect they are correct. News soon.

By the way, you seem to accept the Nissan certificate of conformity will be true - but that's the motor industry.
The real test would be actual current exhaust tests I mentioned, which presumably many EURO4 cars would fail if they are not maintained properly. But nobody seems interested in them, including you.

No need to answer.

You seem to be offended when asked for substantive verifiable data to support your theory.

Thus I rather suspect that when you present Tfl ULEZ compliance engineers with website data & "ambiguous counterparty anecdotal hearsay" letters from Nissan regarding an 18 year old K11 compliance to EURO4, that is in fact EURO3; you may be challenged much intensely than by me or any other technicians on here?

Where is your referenced evidence to support your theory that an 18 year old K11 from 2001 is in fact EURO4 compliant?

Where is the data?

Going too be honest,I want to keep micra s and older cars going but for such as ulez, they are targeting older cars regardless of clean or dirty emissions
Europe hates older vehicle , manufacturers unless they can profit from them arnt interested or like their older vehicles generally ,
Same as I got 80s Kawasaki two strokes, again higher ups ect don't want them ,
Also a fyi new nissan are kindA dicks , they are shunning off many of their vehicles with dangerous defect, unsafe from New or just plain crap,
The government want older vehicles off the road, the police target older vehicles (money making) and even the general public don't want some older vehicles (thank Apple and others for the throw away society and ideology of old is bad)
I would genuinely want to go push this forward and show older vehicles arnt all bad as claimed, as I plan on running my 99 micra till I'm unable and same for my other older cars and bikes,
But with ulez, London ect I have doubts sadly
Honest opinion and well reality ,crap as it is and how much I don't want it either

OP
OP
D
Hi Nissan boy
Yes throwaway is still growing despite environmental awareness.
Sorry, your 1999 K11 will not get a London exemption, but 2001+ cars will, IF the data I found online is correct.
My question is if we all have to pay Nissan £114 to get individual exemptions, or if we can get exemption for the model generally.

As for plmval, I didn't realise you are a technician.
TfL wrote
"If you can provide us with a copy of your vehicle registration document (V5C) that contains the Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value, we can confirm the compliance status of your vehicle.
If these values are not recorded on the V5c you will need to provide a copy of the vehicle's Conformity Certificate which you can obtain from the vehicle manufacturer.
Alternatively you may wish to contact the vehicle manufacturer's homologation department for a letter signed by a named individual from the homologation department which contains the following information
- vehicle registration mark (VRM)
- vehicle identification number (VIN)
- euro standard the vehicle was manufactured to
- Fuel Type
- Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value"

Where do you get the idea that any of this is hearsay or will be challenged?
Do you find pressing on people with so many words actually persuades them to change their minds?
Or do you just enjoy sounding like you know so much better?

Daniel

I still don’t know where is your relevant data?

Your hypothesis theory is very interesting & has not been proposed on here before.

You originally enquired whether we had any constructive suggestions to assist with this proposition.
Quote: “Does anyone have a better idea”?

The validity & credibility of your data source & how it was derived for compliance to EURO4 needs to be tested & verified in order to be considered by decision maker Tfl compliance engineers.

You’re Reference: http://www.emissionsfinder.com/nissan-micra-k11-series-10-3-5-door-10cc

Your reference above clearly states 2001 K11 Micra = EURO 111, & therefore not recognised as tested to EURO 4?

Where is your relevant EURO 4 data to the contrary?

OP
OP
D
HI Plmval

You don't seem to take in what I write, or maybe you just don't understand it.
I will get the data from Nissan - either a letter or a certificate.
I could buy the certificate tomorrow - I just don't think it's fair for every owner to pay for it.
So I'm waiting for now.
I presume it will confirm the NOx figure TfL want is within EURO4 norms.
That means it's also within EURO3 norms - do you understand that?
TfL do not want to test and verify anything - they will accept whatever Nissan provide, as they wrote.

It seems you are just making things up to have the last word.
This is my last word.

Daniel

Good luck with that after the motor industries recent fraud debacle with lies & its cheat to defeat to fraudulently pass emissions testing? Motor industry is in breach of trust on emissions.

DanDan from what I've seen you seem to be on the right track, whether it's euro 3 or 4 compliant is irrelevant it's the NOx figures that are important. Euro 4 only comes up because it specifies a level that passes but it doesn't have to pass euro 4 to pass as you've said (it could fail e4 on CO2 or Hc but still be ULEZ compliant).
The problem is Nissan, you might try going through different dealers or contact points within Nissan hoping for a more cooperative response or press TfL for another way to establish the vehicles emissions.
Here's some youtubes that pretty much confirm your research so far motorcycle related though. Warning: features swearing!

OP
OP
D
Hi Fuzzy
Good points thanks. (at last someone with something to say)
Nice videos.
I wish I knew the original dealer of my car - DVLA would not tell me - I would ask through them.
Yes, surprising TfL only want the NOx figure, not the rest, and also that they're not interested in live testing.
Would be good to get a micro-owners petition to Nissan...

Dan

NOx are the ones that are most dangerous to your health I think. Live smog tests i think are performed differently, probably a good thing because NOx is generally related to lean combustion, so people would run rich for the test.

OP
OP
D
Pollution Levels & Old Vehicles

Vehicle exhaust fumes & particulate particles pollution cause multiple health hazard diseases & premature deaths that are a far greater priority to minimise than prolonging the unnecessary polluting use of old vehicles that do not comply with recent European exhaust testing regulations.

People’s health is more important than keeping dirty polluting old bangers that pay higher Road Tax (K11) @ £150 compared to equivalent modern vehicles with zero or £30 road tax?

Quote:More than 40 towns and cities in the UK are at or have exceeded air pollution limits set by the World Health Organization, its new report has found.
The WHO estimates that 30 areas have fine-particle air pollution levels above 10 micrograms per cubic metre, with another 17 at that limit.4 May 2018” :eek:

References; https://www.google.com/search?clien...evels+in+London+exceeding+World+health+levels

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43964341
Hi PLMVAL - I got the certificate from Nissan, showing NOX 0.028, way below EURO4 minimum.
Sorry you had to wait so long to be disappointed.

Dandan

You have a strong sense of social justice and you are completely right with what you are saying, it isn't fair. But fair isn't what makes the world turn these days. They say their policy is to save the planet, but it's a lie. Their policy is to line their own pockets and squeeze every last penny out of you by keeping you buying and throwing away

Hi PLMVAL - I got the certificate from Nissan, showing NOX 0.028, way below EURO4 minimum.

Dandan

Hey Dandan,

Thanks for such a helpful thread. Good news you got the certificate. Was that the Certificate of Conformity for £114? I have the same model and am hopeful I can do the same. I have gotten to love and restore my micra the last two years. Let us know how it goes with TfL !

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru

Dandan
Why the silence from PLMVAL? ........replies have been quite quick up to this point..... ?

OP
OP
D
Hey Dandan,

Thanks for such a helpful thread. Good news you got the certificate. Was that the Certificate of Conformity for £114? I have the same model and am hopeful I can do the same. I have gotten to love and restore my micra the last two years. Let us know how it goes with TfL !
TFL accepted it - I don't have to get rid of the car!
Yes it was the Cert of Conformity, but for some reason (a long delayed reaction to my searing arguments?) they don't charge any more.
I phoned Nissan customer services 0330 123 1231
then emailed [email protected].
First Shayne tried to get me to get an emissions test at the local dealers - makes sense, but TFL are not interested.
Then I got Randolph, then Evan Christopher.
I attach the application form.
You have to send them a scan of the V5 reg doc and a photo of the VIN plate under the bonnet.
good luck - pass it on

Attachments

• COC Application Form Template (1).pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 449
I have a small issue which hopefully someone in this threat can help with. I've got a Nissan Micra 2000 K11, however I can't find a breakdown of its NOX levels to prove if its compliant with euro 4. It seems to me merged unlike 2001 onwards cars. I've request a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from Nissan, who are currently processing the request.

Does anyone know if the CoC confirms the NOX levels? I'll need this to pass onto to TFL regarding compliance with ULEZ (providing its under the NOX limits).

Question: this discussion has been helpful as I'm trying to establish if my Micra (1998 K11 1.3i) will be compliant with ULEZ or not. It seems from the discussion that it is not....can anyone confirm for sure?
Otherwise I shall email Nissan for a Certificate of Compliance and see whether their certificate will confirm regarding the NOx reading. The Euro 4 standard for NOx emissions determines they should not exceed 0.08, I understand, for petrol cars.
The TFL site currently states: " The ULEZ standards for existing central London ULEZ and when the zone expands are: Euro 4 (NOx) for petrol cars, vans, minibuses and other specialist vehicles".
See https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/ways-to-meet-the-standard?intcmp=52221
Also https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/fuels-environment/euro-emissions-standards

Hi All

Sorry for bringing up this topic again.

Has anyone else had success with this? I have read DanDans comments and emailed [email protected] just now.

JUST to confirm this is a free service now?? from what DanDan said. Not looking to pay the £114 - crazy price

OP
OP
D
Hi Exo, and those who posted in Jan.
Please see my post of 20 Nov 20 showing how to get the CoC from Nissan, which led to my exemption from ULEZ charges.
There was NO charge for the CoC. Of course Nissan could have changed their minds about charging now after so many
people (?) applied for one...

Dandan

Hi, I'm following up this same issue for a friend who has a K11 Micra 1l which was first reg'd in January 2000. Presuming this was built in late 1999, is this likely to be compliant or not? Is there any way to tell when the build cut-off date was reached (from the VIN)? Presumably the cars that are Euro 4 compliant (even though only registered as Euro 3) were fitted with a different engine, or engine/exhaust modifications, from a certain date?
Secondly, does anyone have a link to a relevant TfL exemption form? All the ones I can see on their website relate to other specific exemptions that do not relate to Euro3/4 classification. Dandan, can I ask how you went about getting the exemption, once you had the CofC from Nissan?Thanks.

OP
OP
D
Hi Macman - as for likelihood, I started with this site,
and the NOx figure was lower enough for ULEZ.

If it's lower for your model on this site, then email Nissan asking for a certificate of conformity and hope the NOx
figure on it is also below the Ulez limit. Then apply for an exemption at TFL with the certificate and they should give you an
exemption. You can confirm it's all gone through - and you won't be charged for being in the ULEZ
by going on the tfl website and checking your reg number. All clear?
Read my postings on this thread?

OP
OP
D
Hi again - I missed your extra questions. I don't think I got an exemption form. I just emailed them asking what
they need to exempt me and they answered - then I got the cert from NIssan and sent it to them, they got
a letter confirming exemption.

Attachments

• micratflexempt061020.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 289
Thanks for your replies. It seems that the car in question is rated at 0.235g/km for NOx, which is well above the Euro 4 limit of 0.08g/km, so it doesn't look as if the year 2000 model can get an exemption.

OP
OP
D
See it says 235 for THC+NOX together. For my model it's 64THC +28NOX = 92.
If the ratio is the same, 235 = 163+72, 72 still below the limit 80.
So phone Nissan customer services 0330 123 1231, send the form attached to [email protected].
good luck

Attachments

• nissanformsep20.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 250
My 2003 Nissan T-30 X-Trail 2003 4x4 Wagon 2.5L is also compliant.

The NOx is Just 0.021 g/km

Got a letter from Nissan which was approved by TFL and I am now exempt.

It's worth asking for the readings from Nissan or whatever car manufacturer regardless of what you may or may not think meets the standard, in most cases it's free and just requires a quick email and a few docs attached.

Just in case this information is relevant or can help someone.

OP
OP
D
Hi R:
Please see my post of 20Nov20

I phoned Nissan customer services 0330 123 1231 then emailed [email protected]
asking for the certificate of conformity for my car.
First Shayne tried to get me to get an emissions test at the local dealers - makes sense, but TFL are not interested.
I attach the application form. SEE ABOVE
You have to send them a scan of the V5 reg doc and a photo of the VIN plate under the bonnet.
When you get the CoC, and if it shows Nox below 0.080g/km, send it to TFL [email protected]
asking for your car to be exempted. All clear?

Dandan

Hi R:
Please see my post of 20Nov20

I phoned Nissan customer services 0330 123 1231 then emailed [email protected]
asking for the certificate of conformity for my car.
I attach the application form. SEE ABOVE
When you get the CoC, and if it shows Nox below 0.080g/km, send it to TFL [email protected]
asking for your car to be exempted. All clear?

Dandan
So sorry. My phone didn’t load up the rest of the thread! Really appreciate you taking the time to answer. Hopefully I’ll get an exemption letter!

thanks again!

Hi all

BUT according to
they pass EURO4

Cheers Daniel
Well done , common sense at last , it seems to that the only 2 people benefiting from this scam is TFL and the car manufacturers. Euro 6 what’s that in a figure. Give the Emissions a number that you must be below, ok no rangrover bmw 3-4 liter jaguar, will pass it but my wife’s 900 cc Nissan micra will , so until a number is given out for entering ULEZ. It will always be about car company’s as you will have to buy a newer vehicle. And what happens to all the millions of perfectly working cars that are on the road ? I Serpose Mother Earth has to pay for that one again , ULEZ is a complete Ripoff.