• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Little Red

Well after much thought I decided it was time to do a blog of little red

But first things first, I'm Karl and I have very little time to myself so all progress will be slow going. The goal is to have a MA10T for my wedding car.

Now here is Little Red as she stands at the moment plus a few things to go on/in her

Attachments

• little red 2.JPG
    little red 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 385
  • little red 3.JPG
    little red 3.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 347
  • little red 4.JPG
    little red 4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 352
To do list for the next couple of days while off work
Fix headlight ------- done (fingers crossed) hahaha how wrong was i
Prime and paint rust spots
Fix de-mist strips
Fix sunroof seal
New door seals
Fit central locking -------- (failed miserably)
Fit super s clock -------- (trying to work out the wiring to do a good how to guide)
Remove "go faster" stripes

See someone about dent removal then wash the car

yeah she's in quite good nick a few small dents and rust spots but nothing major.

though i do have one small problem... there seems to be a flapping noise coming from the passenger side front wheel area and it's doing my head in

Well got a little more done today, exhaust was blowing mid pipe so sorted that fitted new wing mirrors and drilled air pan... Still not done anything I planned to do lol

Right no real progress on the car… haven't got a clue what's wrong with the headlight, tried almost everything to no avail HELP!!! it's doing my head in and now my reverse light don't work ARGH!!
On the plus side I'm now poor for a couple of weeks thanks to this little guy

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 418
A little present for the car turned up today thanks to jowley =D which has given me an idea…

Attachments

24.4 KB · Views: 375
Well after seeing that the red and white theme I was thinking about was naff. I decided to strip the bumpers of lights, reflector and licence plate, so I could prep for painting… ha Hento (puppy) had other plans…

Attachments

33 KB · Views: 395
Well got a little update, not sure what the hell has happened but my headlight fixed itself (I think), was trying to fit central locking kit that I have (failed miserably) earlier today so that may be the reason for it curing itself

Just think it's strange that on cruise night whilst heading to work it starts working again ahh well as long as it stays fixed I'm happy

Not happy light decided to flicker on and off all the way to work, 25 miles of disco lights glad the roads were empty

Well I've decided if i can't get all the stupid niggly problems sorted in a month (4 weekends) then I'm not going to bother trying to do the car, it's just not worth the hassle or headaches

I think the problems with the stalk, cause it only really happens when changing from high beam to dipped also one of the fuses (the one that controls the handbrake light ect) gets hot?!

no updates yet really other than the headlight has stopped working yet again so im giving up and letting a pro loose with little red

also plans for the next couple of days are to fit new front suspension, k11 hubs and paint up super s kit (knowing my luck that'll change)

gave up today weathers been ####, but on the plus side I've found someone who can hopefully sort my headlight out, he reckons he can do it with in an hour (£40 p/h he better) just need to arrange a day for me to steal the missus' car

Did do one constructive car job.......... got my sister to finish sorting her electric windows out on her *cough* pug *cough*

check the headlight connector on the bulb first they tend to melt on the k10's, only a couple of quid to change if it has, before paying someone £40

That was the first thing I did and not only had they melted beyond recognition but they where a shoddy attempt at a h4 connector (female spade connectors attached to the bulb) thanks for the tip though

Ahh little dilemma my mums given me a tough choice either I can keep little red or sell it and she'll buy me another k11 all because I said I missed my old one, now I don't know what to do... plod on or stop and get a new(ish) car

ahhhh mums man you got to lov..........hay wait a minute? mum........ah man i just realised that mums are the reason for everything including our cars,going by this fact BIG UP all the mums thanks to you!!!

iirc its for a speed sensor or something similar, if its on the super s dials, not need if you fitting ss dials to your car

Cheers andy
next question is could someone please post a photo of how the wiring goes into the connectors as I've managed approx 40% and the rest have got me stumped

well done a little today
finally fitted super s clocks just need to wire rev counter and hand brake light.... and sprayed the super s spoiler from white to black :D

Attachments

• hento1 118.JPG
    hento1 118.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 339
  • hento1 120.JPG
    hento1 120.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
decided it was time to sort out my boat like suspension and i'm glad i did.... only managed to do the rears cause we couldn't get hold of spring compressors but that made a difference in its own right, my boot can now take more weight than the empty space it holds at the moment, thank god seeing as i'm going on holiday friday

and another thing my speedo now rears 10mph faster now that i've got the ss clocks in has this happened to anyone else?

(pics of rear shocks)

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 386
well no progress as of yet, but i have decided that id much rather have a reliable daily than a little speed demon so im going to sort out all the little niggly problems so no turbo for little red :( though everything else i have for her will go on maybe

well that's little red on the "drive" till February going to SORN her then work on her till the MOT runs out........ not sure if it's because it's bloody freezing out or somethings wrong with her but there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, so i'm going to wait till it warms up then start her up again to check

White smoke isn't really a problem it'll just be condensation, 1L's are like that in cold weather. They always surround themselves in a cloud of white fog when they're just ticking over. Blue smoke is an issue, that would indicate an over-rich mixture or fuel not being burnt off in the combustion chamber and instead being blown out the exhaust.
When i had my origional 1L engine in my v8, in cold weather it used to chugg out clouds of steam that stretched for yards and yards up the street untill it had been given a run out.
Don't worry about it, as long as the engine sounds as it should, drives like it should, and doesn't hesitate then just drive it. Leaving a k10 standing around does more harm than good, they need to run otherwise they get rough and ropey.

and another thing my speedo now rears 10mph faster now that i've got the ss clocks in has this happened to anyone else?

If you have the 1L 5-speed gearbox this may be why. The diff on the 1L 5-speed is a different size to that of the 1.2L 5-speed which the clocks are supposed to work with.

no i have a 4-speed but whilst she's off the road ill be getting a 5-speed, i'll also be taking the engine out so i can clean it up also that way i can change the piping and put new wires all over.... kind of a general rebuild

still no real updates, only a final decision with whats happening with the car, she's going to turned in to a track car so as soon as i've got some spare time i'll be starting work on her

Why not sell it, make some cash, and buy a scrapper for tracking since it won't need to be perfect for racing. Saves cash and saves a perfectly good car init lad.

i would but it needs new springs all round, new front shocks, new exhaust mid pipe to back box, headlight still needs sorting and the reverse switch needs fixing as well.... ohh and the odo doesnt work either. then theres the rust patches but theyre all surface rust at the moment

White smoke isn't really a problem it'll just be condensation, 1L's are like that in cold weather. They always surround themselves in a cloud of white fog when they're just ticking over. Blue smoke is an issue, that would indicate an over-rich mixture or fuel not being burnt off in the combustion chamber and instead being blown out the exhaust.
When i had my origional 1L engine in my v8, in cold weather it used to chugg out clouds of steam that stretched for yards and yards up the street untill it had been given a run out.
Don't worry about it, as long as the engine sounds as it should, drives like it should, and doesn't hesitate then just drive it. Leaving a k10 standing around does more harm than good, they need to run otherwise they get rough and ropey.

Blue smoke indicates oil burning, black smoke is overfueling

i would but it needs new springs all round, new front shocks, new exhaust mid pipe to back box, headlight still needs sorting and the reverse switch needs fixing as well.... ohh and the odo doesnt work either. then theres the rust patches but theyre all surface rust at the moment

That's it? :laugh: Those are just little niggles nothing to worry about, easy fix. The speedo is that super s one you fitted isn't it? Simple fix is to put the old ones back in and sell the super s ones separate. I've seen total banger k10's get snapped up on autotrader and ebay, And i'm pretty sure that yours aint a banger so why not stick it up as is and see, you might just suprise yourself.

Back