'Little Bandit' break another part!!!!

Dave Bull

Ex. Club Member
Lesson 1...if someone tells you that a clutch will handle any sort of power or abusive driving style (like myself), never believe them for a second!

I had recently just installed my new clutch & flywheel setup, after my final trip to Crail and 15 psi resulted in the sickly smell of a burning ACT clutch!

I installed the following setup...

http://turbochargedsentra.com/images/B15 and cats 022.jpg

It's a Quartermaster Pro Series clutch & flywheel...I bit aggressive you may think but I didn't care as long as it held the power!

Unfortunately on my way to work yesterday, as I was coming off the A80 at Cumbernauld, the pedal dropped to the floor, and a loud bang and then grinding noise was heard.

I managed to drive slowly up to my work a few miles away, to find that the clutch arm was jammed and the car would require uplifting.

On removing the engine & gearbox again (3rd time in 6 weeks...grrrrrrr), we found what was left of the clutch...

This is a picture of the pressure plate...

PDRM0051.jpg

What appears to have happened is that the release bearing has managed to punch its way through the centre of the pressure plate and this has resulted in just about everthing getting chewed up to death!!!

So yet another clutch is on order from the U.S. and the bad thing is that I will have to use a crappy standard flywheel. This may however help to slow the engine down a bit, as it is just to responsive for a FWD car!

Cheers all!

Dave

Editted by Mike : picture size to big

I've seen this happen before, pretty bad luck! Why dont you get an OS twin plate? I've used these on SR20's with around 500bhp, and not had any problems. High power clutches can be a complete pain. The twin plate on the FMS evo just couldnt handle the power, it slipped under boost and warped all the disks, there was no failures as such, just couldnt handle the 400lb or so of torque. It looks possible that the next FMS project may have another SR20 again, so no doubt I will be experiencing all this fun again!

I bought the clutch setup from Jamie @ Powertech Imports in Canada who I have dealt with for a number of years now. He runs this setup in his drag car and has had no problems what so ever.

I tthink I'm fu**ing jinxed!!!

Dave

Back