Lightening a standard flywheel

Hola. Is it possible to lighten a standard flywheel. Got access to a lathe in work and can prob get it done. I'm assuming they are cast iron. Used to have my pinto ones lightened no bother and they performed fine. Havnt seen one yet as box still fitted. Cheers for any info

Cheers for the reply. Did it make much difference to the way the car drove? My car is used for rallying so revved hard regular

mine,s about 3.5 kg kipsy, and you can get them down to about 4 kg by just machining the back till you get a 2mm lip (arrowed)
bear in mind that the pre-face 1.0 has a shallower dish and smaller clutch, and that coilpack ones are different, and some 1.3,s are a 3 piece construction/design)

Attachments

• 61546.jpg
    61546.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 987
My car is a 1275 on an L plate but doesn't have the original motor. Will have to look into it! Thanks for the pic. Did you get the holes drilled or previously done? What about balance? Or do/ did you have access to a dynamic balancer. Cheers

We likes DIY. Makes you appreciate things more and get an understanding of how things work etc. Will
Check clip out later as phone playing up for you tube. Cheers. Did you notice muchof a difference Frank when you fitted it?

Did you notice muchof a difference Frank when you fitted it?

sure :grinning: mainly in 1st gear, but sod-all in 5th tho, and the clutch makes a difference too, baguete,s alloy GA16 f/w is actually lighter than the clutch assy :eek:

That is light then. Mine has a paddle clutch unsure of the weight. Prob same as standard I expect. Last rally I did I never used 5th once. Only got up to about 5k in 4th in the forestry. Week sat doing epynt rally so expecting to get up to about a ton in places. Lower end suits my car with a 5.1. Cherrs

That is light then.

about 3.5 kg iirc mate, and dont forget that the stock ecu tends to only "open loop/accelerate enrich" during a high acceleration threshold (high rate of change, ie the lower gears) so the faster you can get it to accelerate the better it will fuel (Y)

mine,s about 3.5 kg kipsy, and you can get them down to about 4 kg by just machining the back till you get a 2mm lip (arrowed)
bear in mind that the pre-face 1.0 has a shallower dish and smaller clutch, and that coilpack ones are different, and some 1.3,s are a 3 piece construction/design)

Did you just whack this in a lathe and then spend a few hours thinning it out? Is it a uniform thickness across the face or have you tapered it at all?

Ta,

Did you just whack this in a lathe and then spend a few hours thinning it out? Is it a uniform thickness across the face or have you tapered it at all?

Ta,

10 minute turning job really, and the sides are uniform thickness craig, and we,ve been making an all steel 2kg one today :grinning: (using a cvt driveplate and a kart brakedisc)

Attachments

• SDC12412.JPG
    SDC12412.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,036
That's interesting. Bet it will rev up really quickly with that one.did you ever end up using thr dried one after? Once balanced obviously

That's interesting. Bet it will rev up really quickly with that one.did you ever end up using thr dried one after? Once balanced obviously

i assume you mean the drilled one :) and yes its still in the car, 3 and a 1/2 yrs after balancing it

Ok cheers Frank. May just pull mine out and do it in work foc. Will look into balancing it then using a similar method or as I work with aircraft engines may be able to get in on a proper dynamic balancer if make a jig? Maybe. It's all time though

That is smart, I remember looking at my auto driveplate and thinking 'that looks like a really racey flywheel' but never thought to actually make it fit!

You have much knowledge of messing aroung with gearbox internals/diffs?

10 minute turning job really, and the sides are uniform thickness craig, and we,ve been making an all steel 2kg one today :grinning: (using a cvt driveplate and a kart brakedisc)

It's a very similar setup to those who opt to run a button flywheel and a race clutch and just require something to hold the starter ring. That maybe something to do at some point, as lightening the extremeties with a paddle clutch is limited due to the 200mm PCD of our clutch mountings.

Out of interest, what's the weight of a K11 coverplate and friction plate as an assembly?

Out of interest, what's the weight of a K11 coverplate and friction plate as an assembly?
3kg,s dave :)
we,ve welded the friction face on from the back now and machined it down, and you can see its about 1/4 the weight of a coilpack one :grinning:

Attachments

• SDC12416.JPG
    SDC12416.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 740
Got an issue- my flywheel is a 2 piece flywheel bolted together- I assume it can still be lightened but still need to keep the thread for the bolts or easier to get another flywheel? Help as supposed to be machining on Sunday??? :(
Bolted together
15aaa91c.jpg

Flywheel face
fd8335ac.jpg

Back plate of flywheel

We tried to lighten one a few years back and it's a no go. You can take like 1kg off it which is not worth the bother :(

Hola, any ideas which years the one piece flywheels are from and would a coilpack flywheel fit if lightened? I've got a paddle clutch that would like to retain. Cheers.

Hola, any ideas which years the one piece flywheels are from and would a coilpack flywheel fit if lightened? I've got a paddle clutch that would like to retain. Cheers.

the coilpack one has the starter motor under the inlet mani kipsy (so the ring gear is about 20mm out of position, shown in the pics i posted)
and they cant be lightened by much (because of the cast-in crank sensor ring)

Ok cheers for that Frank. Don't happen to know which years the 3 piece and 1 piece flywheels are from? Be a pain to strip a car in a scrappy and find the same one I have. Thanks for your help

i got a '99 1.3 Si. anyone know what f/w i've got? want to lighten it but if 3-piece then its too much ball ache it looks like! is it possible to change to a 1-piece if you're on a 3?

i think the 3 piece ones went on the early 1.3,s, and you can interchange any non coilpack and non pre-face 1.0 :)

i think the 3 piece ones went on the early 1.3,s, and you can interchange any non coilpack and non pre-face 1.0 :)

I´ve got 3 piece set up in my -95 1.3. I´ve been looking pics and is there any problems with starter, cos it looks like 3-piece one´s toothring is further away from crankshaft than post #5 flywheel´s, or is it? and will the 1.3 clutch fit in with 1.0´s fly?

my 1993 1.3 slx and 1998 1.3 slx both had 1-piece fly.

maybe at scrappies you could just remove the starter and point ur cam phone through the hole to check if its a 1 or 3 piece?

Good to know, thanks mate! :)
Been thinking, but haven´t figured out why factory has done that 3 piece set up at all, what benefits it brings compared to 1-piece? :confused:

Does the coil pack have a sensor over the fly? Least thats what it seems to me with the extra teeth on the fly

Must give it a go on my stock sr20 fly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Does the coil pack have a sensor over the fly? Least thats what it seems to me with the extra teeth on the fly

Must give it a go on my stock sr20 fly

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
aye :) for the crank sensor eh, which limits the amount you can safely remove

Back