Lightened fly wheel

i used to run a 3.4kg ultra light JUN flywheel on my 1.3 slx with janspeed system and made a huge difference in the response n improved drivability/feel of the car.
when i first started her it was like a motorcycle :) absolutely helped improve heel & toeing.
I drove her daily and tbh it idled just as good as an 8kg stock flywheel.

the rapid engine response will allow faster upshift/downshift time dependant on the condition of the synchros and possibly faster acceleration cos of both reduced static & inertia weight and more of the available power produced can be used to drive the car forward rather than spinning a heavy flywheel.

possibly downside of a thinner lighter flywheel (prob only applicable to huge torquey forced induction setups) is reduced heat capacity for the clutch making it more likely to overheat & glaze the clutch leading to slip at peak torque if its abused alot such as on dragstrips, but that was prob cos i was running 160ftlb 160bhp turbo setup and twas my first time on a dragstrip with poor clutch control and partially bedded paddle clutch disc.

note about these ultra lightened flywheels with the big gap holes around the clutch face is that they will restrict the size of clutch disc you can use upto 184mm

It's a must have mod :) the only downside is found is slightly a harsher vibration in the cabin (at idle mainly)

Yup if theres one thing you're going to do, do this. :)

Think mines 3.2kg as its fine once you get used to it...revs like crazy in comparsion to stock..

Yup if theres one thing you're going to do, do this. :)

Think mines 3.2kg as its fine once you get used to it...revs like crazy in comparsion to stock..

Done ;) We have a 3.2kg billet flywheel going in on the current build with the 184mm Helix cover & organic plate this time around.

Done ;) We have a 3.2kg billet flywheel going in on the current build with the 184mm Helix cover & organic plate this time around.

lol good lad...guaranteed :D when you first run it.

Where can I get one of these or done and can I do it myself?

I bought mine from Australia ages ago, but theres bound to guys around the north east that'll lathe down a flywheel for you...though frank has shown before how he's lightened one or two. :)

Depends on the difference between your 1.4 flywheel and the 1.3 / 1.0's really.

lol good lad...guaranteed :D when you first run it.

I bought mine from Australia ages ago, but theres bound to guys around the north east that'll lathe down a flywheel for you...though frank has shown before how he's lightened one or two. :)

Depends on the difference between your 1.4 flywheel and the 1.3 / 1.0's really.

Aye, there will be many reasons to go :D when it first fires up.

CGA3 flywheels can be lightened, I think Frank did one already? They probably wont be as light as the non-coilpack engines as you still have to retain the crank trigger pickups on the outside of the flywheel but anything less is a bonus :)

The coilpack one that Mario had was lightened and balanced by autosprint, and yes there are limitations with them eh

Aye, there will be many reasons to go :D when it first fires up.

Very true. haha.

CGA3 flywheels can be lightened, I think Frank did one already? They probably wont be as light as the non-coilpack engines as you still have to retain the crank trigger pickups on the outside of the flywheel but anything less is a bonus :)

The coilpack one that Mario had was lightened and balanced by autosprint, and yes there are limitations with them eh

Ah yeah I knew something was different with the flywheels, just couldn't remember what.

Another question for an interesting thread - What's the best setup for acceleration on a 1.3? ie, what year 1.0l gearbox with which flywheel? :)

is it possbile to fit a lightened flywheel on a cvt micra? if yes, does it make any sense?

does it make any disadvantage on uphill/downhill?

CVT don't have a "flywheel" in the same sense that a manual does! It's basically a piece of sheet metal with teeth on it for the starter! There is nothing to lighten and I'd guess it's about 3kg as it is standard!

Pepper

CVT don't have a "flywheel" in the same sense that a manual does! It's basically a piece of sheet metal with teeth on it for the starter! There is nothing to lighten and I'd guess it's about 3kg as it is standard!

Pepper
aye just a driveplate eh, the torque converter is the flywheel really, a proper torque converter on the CGA3 engine i just bought, not the troublesome magnetic metal filing type early ones

Back