Light/electrical problem help please! :)

I noticed today that my sidelights come on everytime i brake?! Is this a common fault?! Does anyone know the problem or have had the same problem?! I only noticed it because i was behind a nice shiny new car and saw the reflection lol

Try unplugging each rear lamp in turn. When the problem disappears you know the side you just disconnected has the fault!
Check the condition of the plug on each rear light for corrosion, check for decent earth on the faulty side at the plug (as Stani pointed out)
Check the condition of the bulb holder (Does it look corroded? Does the fault change side if you swap the bulb holder unit from one side to the other?)
Check the stop tail lamp bulbs aren't in upside down (As I think Frank hinted at)

have you recently changed the rear bulb? if you but a twin filament where a single one should be or vice versa that could cause same problem...

Yeah same happened to me ages ago put the wrong bulbs in which had a single filament and I needed dual filament so the lights come on when I braked which must have been funny to watch

Back