LIFE HACK - Shaving Foam on Windows

Many of you may already know but I didn't and its such a useful thing so I thought I would share.

I got increasingly annoyed every winter with the interior windows misting, or if I have 2-3 passengers in the car (which happens pretty regularly), then the windows mist up quite quickly.

So if you put a big blob of shaving foam on a cloth and wipe it all over the interior windows and then continue to wipe it down until you can't see it anymore, then this forms a protective layer over the windows and they don't mist up AT ALL!

It does wear away over time and so has to be done around once a month, so only around 3 times to get through the whole winter!

This has been an issue in my car when I'm not using it regularly or taking it for longer drives. Because it sits outside the interior of the car tends to absorb humidity on the seats and carpets and roof liner, so when you first get in it the heater is heating up the fabrics and releasing that stored up humidity which ends up on the interior of the windows. If there's people sat in the car the breath does this also. If there's snow or rain on the ground it can come in on your shoes and sit on the floor too and it'll never evaporate if you only take short trips or trips with the heater off.

Been having a bit of a play with a hydrometer in my car after it was standing for months, was surprised to see it rising as the heater comes on when heating cold exterior air should drop the humidity significantly (5% for every 1c gained). Figured out that was why.

Go for a long drive with the heater on full (set to exterior not recirculate) and the windows slightly open or block it in on the driveway and let it idle for an hour in the same way, you can get the interior bone dry this way and it will be less of an issue.

I'm using dirt soap. Following this topic because dirt soap does works well but when applied in a cold environment it might drip down and that doesn't wipe easy. I've used some anti condense stuff but that is no comparison to dirt soap.

I've used it on all windows inside and outside and after a first test (one day cycle) applied more where it was needed. This gave some stripes but wiping that out also helped. This is not a detailing tip for sure.

I'm curious about the tooth paste and shaving foam that is fatty also. I was degreasing my windows with ammonia, glassex (leaves fat stuff), gasoline (but then this bottle for painting) and a foam degreaser meant for degreasing an oven. Nothing suited well but after enough time and patience I have someting decent (with the feel it could have been better).

I should try Dasty having around but didn't use and for windows, everyone should degrease his front window once a year thoroughly. I do have a sense of having a dry car every day. No heavily condensed car in the morning. The work on the outside helps a bit, but it does wash of quite soon.

Back