Left rear light and left position light faulty - next step?

I think I messed up.. Working on my rear light (reverse light) I used a voltage meter, and accidentally I may have made a short circuit between the rear light and brake light in the left side. The result was a new fault. (I fixed the reverse light). Now in the rear left side the rear light does not work - however the brake light does. It is not the bulb - I have measured on the wire plugs after pulling it out of the lamp.

I switched new bulbs in the front position light (hope that is the right word - its the smal white bulb in the top of the headlamp). I noticed that in the left side I also do not have any power in the wire plug coming to the newly installed bulb.

Before I messed around I had a working left rear light, however, I don't know if the left position light worked before I possibly made the short circuit. Not sure therefore if the errors are connected, but I am thinking if there is a fuse (or two) somewhere I could change out.

I would be extremely thankful if anyone can point me in the right direction!?

Cheers,
Dane

I think I messed up.. Working on my rear light (reverse light) I used a voltage meter, and accidentally I may have made a short circuit between the rear light and brake light in the left side. The result was a new fault. (I fixed the reverse light). Now in the rear left side the rear light does not work - however the brake light does. It is not the bulb - I have measured on the wire plugs after pulling it out of the lamp.

I switched new bulbs in the front position light (hope that is the right word - its the smal white bulb in the top of the headlamp). I noticed that in the left side I also do not have any power in the wire plug coming to the newly installed bulb.

Before I messed around I had a working left rear light, however, I don't know if the left position light worked before I possibly made the short circuit. Not sure therefore if the errors are connected, but I am thinking if there is a fuse (or two) somewhere I could change out.

Cheers,
Dane

I manage to sort out this rather simple problem myself after reading a workshop manual. I changed out a 10A fuse in the box under the left head lamp. That did the trick. Sorry for the noise here on the forum...

Cheers,
Dane

Cheers,
Dane
Hi Dane I am currently 'playing about' with a rear light mod on my K12 so just happen to have a spare unit lying around to photograph.
You can see from the Haynes manual here:-
PLsdoqZ.jpg

that the feed to the rear light (item26 both sides) is fed by the purple wire on the connector which in turn is fed via fuse 35 (link H4)
the power for the number plate light also comes from this fused feed so if that is working then you haven't got a fused power feed.
These pictures shows the offending socket with the bulb removed and you can see the solid feed from the plug socket to the sprung bulb connection.

J0AFwWd.jpg

7MykiBX.jpg

Note that the twin filament bulb has offset pins and must be inserted correctly...
If the side light on the other side and the number plate light are working then I suspect that you either have a bulb with one damaged filament or the sprung connection on one side in the light unit is bent down and not making connection to the bulb .

Thanks a lot for the reply. I changed out fuse 36, and that gave me back my left rear light and the left small white light (position light is the phrase used in DK) placed in the top of the left head lamp.

Back