Lean on idle....

Stani1029

Club Member
Hey guys with having my wideband hooked up ive noticed that it runs lean on idle, was wondering if this is normal or due to my modifications. Also as we know in 4th and 5th gear the car has become difficult to keep at a steady speed at a safe Air/fuel mixture, it used to be fine but now its very hard to push 1psi! What can i do to get it running the way it was a few weeks ago? Heres a short video of idle and a small rev

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a467/stani1029/ab189f65.mp4

frank

Club Member
mine does that sometimes stani, it,s probably supposed to be in constant closed loop @ idle tbh, especially for emissions/mot eh.
and is the speed sensor still connected ?

if its running lean, could be that air is getting in after the maf and therefore running lean. seems to sort itself out when you rev so could just be a little leak which is insignificant when throttle is open.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Right ok, i thought you were referring to the 4th/5th gear closed loop polava! Ive recently had the inlet/TB off so maybe one of the gaskets were damaged :) cheery

frank

Club Member
yes, it could be air leak eh, here,s mine going off the scale lean and forced out of closed loop when i open a valve/leak into the mani

euro_micra

Matt :)
Disconnecting ecu pin #32 (speedsensor) is probably the easiest way to simply get around the leaning out in 4th and 5th on these facelifts, it's working flawlessly on my n/a atm. I think Frank found that you can unscrew a connection in the dials, but I guess facelifts will be slightly different. My GA injectors run lean on idle too, but then gets richer as soon as I go back on throttle, I figure I'll be off boost on idle so it won't matter too much, it'll just behave like stock won't it (?)

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
Ill be running the GA injectors too, i do have MartinB's old SR20DET fuel rail and injectors but im expecting they might be a bit overkil with the boost level ill be running to begin with.. Im going to be running the Apexi SAFC so hoping i can adjust the AFR as a need.

Stani, is the Nistune fitted at moment and not mapped?

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
Ill be running the GA injectors too, i do have MartinB's old SR20DET fuel rail and injectors but im expecting they might be a bit overkil with the boost level ill be running to begin with.. Im going to be running the Apexi SAFC so hoping i can adjust the AFR as a need.

Just re-reading what ive wrote.... i have a question.

Could i use the SR20DET injectors and rail and just dial down the fuel correction via the SAFC on the injectors? i know injectors have a max duty cycle but do they have a minimum?

Im thinking this might be a better route to save me using the GA injectors and rail and then swapping to the SR20 ones when i up the boost/get it mapped properly

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Disconnecting ecu pin #32 (speedsensor) is probably the easiest way to simply get around the leaning out in 4th and 5th on these facelifts, it's working flawlessly on my n/a atm. I think Frank found that you can unscrew a connection in the dials, but I guess facelifts will be slightly different. My GA injectors run lean on idle too, but then gets richer as soon as I go back on throttle, I figure I'll be off boost on idle so it won't matter too much, it'll just behave like stock won't it (?)

What ill do then is hook a switch up to the speedsensor temporarily then go from there, and yeah as soon as i hit the throttle whilst driving in 1st-3rd gear it goes mega rich (10.0)

Yeah ive had nistune fitted for over a year now and not tuned it one bit, Wish i was able too!

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
it should be locked into closed loop in 4th and 5th then mate, we usually have to disconnect the speed sensor to force some enrichment @wot in the higher gears

Can you just disconnect the speed sensor without the ECU freaking out?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader

Interesting this is in the wild now.. that was my discovery... :) got lots of k11s now running around like this until the speed lean out is found in the code...

Rob

Cosworth turbo'd 1.3
Ive cut the wire at pin 32 but still in 4/5th gear its like its in close loop. Its still staying around 14.7 AFR with the normal bit of fluctuation between rich and lean regardless if whether of how much i up the fuel correction.

Any ideas?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Bring it to me if you can't figure it out. I have always managed to sort these problems out when the cars are here.

OP
OP
Stani1029

Stani1029

Club Member
Bring it to me if you can't figure it out. I have always managed to sort these problems out when the cars are here.

If somehow we can arrange to map my car on the weekend im down for jae or when i go to alton towers a few days after id be grateful. The clutch and gearbox arent great but if we can sort out the afr's that would be handy