leaking window seals HELP

B

bal

hi everyone

i just bought some new doors speakers but when i was replacing them i found water inside the door.
so i got a jug of water and poured it on my window to find that the water falls inside the door.
Its the black strip that runs at the bottom of the window, it has 2 gaps, one either side where it meets the rest of the seal.

ive tried filling the gaps with glue but its just too tricky to do.
can anyone help i need this sorted quick.

thanks very much

Think your best bet is to get to your local scrappy see if you can find a new one. If not you will have to get 1 nissan...............

think if you try and repair it, it may still leak and that may cause even more damage in the long run!

water is supposed to get inside the door, that's why there is a waterproof membrane between the door and door card. also on nissans there's even a cover over the back of the speaker. if you look at the bottom of the door, you'll see some drain holes for thew water to escape out of.
absolutely nothing to worry about.

silver_si said:
water is supposed to get inside the door, that's why there is a waterproof membrane between the door and door card. also on nissans there's even a cover over the back of the speaker. if you look at the bottom of the door, you'll see some drain holes for thew water to escape out of.

are you sure?

what about electric windows? they have motors on the other side of the membrane wont they get trashed?

silver_si said:

i have just put some stupidly expensive speakers in the doors and water is really not good for them.
just phoned the dealers and its going to be £41+VAT per side for the seals
might just get some of them speaker covers because ive binned mine :doh:

bal said:
i have just put some stupidly expensive speakers in the doors and water is really not good for them.
just phoned the dealers and its going to be £41+VAT per side for the seals
might just get some of them speaker covers because ive binned mine :doh:

a bin liner will do mate ;)

but really if you made fiberglass backs for the speakers it would aid the sound too :)

NeX said:
a bin liner will do mate ;)

but really if you made fiberglass backs for the speakers it would aid the sound too :)
most door speakers are designed to use the door as an enclosure, closing off the back of it would limit the air movement behind the speaker. making it less effective.
as far as i'm aware, all car doors are designed the same way, letting water into the door. new seals wouldn't stop the water. my electric windows still work ok.

Ok on a similar note... I keep finding water in my driver side sill... but after the jug method its not the window... the left sil is fine? Should I be worried if it is on the sill or is it part of the drainage route? Thanks

NeX said:
are you sure?

what about electric windows? they have motors on the other side of the membrane wont they get trashed?
The electric motors for the windows and central locking are sealed units, so there can be no water ingress.

Panjabi said:
Ok on a similar note... I keep finding water in my driver side sill... but after the jug method its not the window... the left sil is fine? Should I be worried if it is on the sill or is it part of the drainage route? Thanks
I think that the sunroof drains down the drivers side A post to the sill area, that could explain it.

They are not meant to be waterproof. How else would your window slide up and down otherwise?! Hence, as said, there is the plastic sheeting to prevent damp getting to the vital areas (speakers, inner door membrane, etc).

Also you have drain holes at the bottom of the door. They are there for a reason. If you try to seal the black sections you'll just look like a muppet when you try to wind down the windows.

And silver_si, you're most definately correct :)

Edit: My £200 DLS's have be fine for well over a year now.

Retepetsir said:
silver_si, you're most definately correct :)
does that mean i'd be better removing the cover from the back of the speaker, or is the hole for the w/h big enough to allow air to move inside the door?

Back