Leaking cam cover. Tips on replacing gasket.

I need to stop the leak on my wifes 1.2 06 micra. Its coming from the cam cover. Any tips on replacing it? I read a manual on it and it seems a bit complicated. Do you need to remove the injectors etc?

Grab the service manual from this thread

Open the file EM.pdf

Full procedure is on page 33 to 35.

Be sure to adhere to the torque settings and screw tightening order.

It's not THAT hard, I found it more annoying than anything on the Primera cos of the number of things attached to the cover that had to be removed.

Thanks for the help. I will have to replace it soon as the leak is getting worse!
Do all the 1.2's have a gasket as I read somewhere that the late ones are just sealed with sealant? I can see bits of sealant coming out between the cam cover and head on my one.

I also need to replace the valve cover gasket on a K12 1.2 2005 (CR12DE). And as 747_727, I can see sealant coming out between the cam and the head.

Does anyone know if this engine was assembled just with sealant, but supports a gasket? It would be good too know in advance

(or maybe it was assembled with a gasket plus bit of sealant, who knows)

thanks

Fwiw I too want to know the answer but from previous experience on performance engines/sumps I've had good success with orange loctite gasket sealer.

It's basically sealant that forms a gasket and I've never suffered an oil leak when using this.

Having said that if the later JDM spec CGA's do have a gasket for them (I think sp holes also have a form of o-ring/gasket) then I'd like to know the difference if there is one.

I also need to replace the valve cover gasket on a K12 1.2 2005 (CR12DE). And as 747_727, I can see sealant coming out between the cam and the head.

Does anyone know if this engine was assembled just with sealant, but supports a gasket? It would be good too know in advance

(or maybe it was assembled with a gasket plus bit of sealant, who knows)

thanks

Just look up parts for your car, if a rocker cover gasket is available / not available then that answers your question.

I've noticed with K11 imports they don't always list the differences.

i.e although they share the same 1.3 engine, the cam covers are different- not sure if that means they use different gaskets or not though.

I've noticed with K11 imports they don't always list the differences.

i.e although they share the same 1.3 engine, the cam covers are different- not sure if that means they use different gaskets or not though.
Should be easy enough to find the difference with the number plate though unless it’s an engine swap?

Doesn't work like that with imports mate, many don't come up on any databases and that includes main dealer.

In fact, a part from a few, every car I've ever owned has been an import and I'm pretty sure only my GTO came up correctly, most aren't even model specific- this is just called a "Nissan" on the logbook, I had to explain to my insurers what a Cube even was...

Doesn't work like that with imports mate, many don't come up on any databases and that includes main dealer.

In fact, a part from a few, every car I've ever owned has been an import and I'm pretty sure only my GTO came up correctly, most aren't even model specific- this is just called a "Nissan" on the logbook, I had to explain to my insurers what a Cube even was...

Ah my bad, I’ve never owned an import so didn’t realise that’s how it worked.

Back