Leaking battery charge - any ideas?

H

Herr_spl1ff

I've been having some probs with the electrics of my '87 K10 for some time & thought I ought to sort it...

The battery discharges in a few days if it's left connected and the car has not been used but retains charge when it's not connected. I've not had any problems while driving or any obvious component failure or repeated fuses blown. A multimeter between the positive terminal and earth shows continuity with some resistance which I assume is not good.

Any ideas on where to start with this or any common faults to check would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

how old is the battery? Next what is on the car? Radio that need memory? Chances are the reserve capacity of the battery is poor due to age, and the very small current used by car radio etc is enough to drain it. Other than this the next most likely thing is the alternator has a few issues, and may be causing a slight drain on the battery.

Cheers for reply. Battery is about 18 months old & holds charge fine when not connected. No radio, that was my first thought. Was worse with the radio in so I removed it but no improvement. Likewise the alternator, replaced that with a recon unit last year. Hence why I'm feeling slightly stumped...

Any progress?
I'v got the same problem: battery down after 1,5 week parking still (no drive).
Before that, month or a bit more there was no sign of any trouble with battery. Past owner sed (lied?) he just bought and installed new one :\
I'm going to buy new battery, first.

I doubt he will reply as this thread is 18 months old. You may have more luck starting a new thread :)

Back