Leak from heatercore hose to water pump.

Hi, today I found coolant dripping from what appears to be the hose connection to the water pump. I loosened the clamp and cut a portion of the hose and installed it back. However when I refill it with coolant dripping still occurs. Have checked the hose but no cuts or cracks. Have anyone experience the same. Could it be the water pump? Thanks

the pump is near the belts eh, i,m guessing its one of the hoses under the dizzy ? those have a steel insert that are prone for rotting away

Frank, took a pix from under

Attachments

• WP_20150412_006.jpg
    WP_20150412_006.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 1,138
ahh, the back of the block, that pipe looks a bit corroded eh, it has a rubber O ring where it slides into the back of the pump (they are notorious too)

if its definitely coming from under that hose, i would try some sealer and a new jubilee clip, failing that i would pull the steel pipe out (2 x 12mm bolts and some loom clips)
and check the pipe and O ring
no its not part of the pump kit :)

By the way. Do you have a procedure how to do this? I ask because working area I quite tight and I'm sure I need to other things before that. Thanks again.

By the way. Do you have a procedure how to do this? I ask because working area I quite tight and I'm sure I need to other things before that. Thanks again.
remove the jubilee clips and 2 bolts and pull it out basically monallyza, there are a few pipes and wires that make it awkward to access tho :)

• drain coolant
  • drain oil if its due
  • remove oil filter
  • unbolt return pipe from rear left of engine block
  • unbolt return pipe from side of thermostat housing
  • nudge the whole pipe left, out of the pump housing to expose the old o-ring
  • lever or cut the old seal out
  • wd40 the new o-ring and slip it on the pipe
  • reinsert the pipe
  • bolt it up n reassemble. wipe clean the stains
  • fit oil filter, preferably new filter & oil if due
  • fill up & bleed the cooling system
  • check for leaks

i just pull the pipe out from the top (pipe half out in this pic), there is usually a black steel support bracket for the mani that you might have to move (binned mine years ago)

P4130646.JPG

Hi Polly, can I also reuse the oil then? This will be a mission with that tight space. Is there a need for a sealant when reinstalling the pipe with O ring? Or just slipping it in with handforce?

here's when I ordered a new o-ring #210492J200 from dealers for £3
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-42#post-501289

o-ring fits in a groove at the end of the pipe

dsc06394-jpg.37209

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-55#post-520399

dsc05643-jpg.36735

https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-44#post-502488

if the oil & filter is relatively new n clean, it can be re-used but I always replace both oil & filter at the same time whenever the oil is drained as an insurance.
more frequent oil changes are better for engine life but not dispose too much that the drained oil was actually still golden new n throwing money away.
I just replace after 6-10mths or if the dipstick oil stain has darkened alot.

working from only above with the inlet mani in the way might be abit cramped tight but do-able.
I preferably find it easier to do it from underneath with jack n stands or could try ramps or a high curb?

u simply remove the old ring, roll the new one on, making sure it's not twisted n still smoothly donut shaped, put a light finger smear of oil on the rubber to aid fitting, then simply slide it into the hole with minimal push. if it resists alot n squishy, stop n check if its trapped.

Yeh Frank... Got to have a second look on that hose. I think I over tightened the clip causing a cut on the hose. Update you guys and thanks for the inputs.

Pulled out the hose totally. No visible damage or cut still bears the Nissan logo. Must be the original. From pix below no visible coolant leak from the O ring area of the pump... Process or illumination... Replace hose and see. If still the same the I guess I have to see the O ring.

Hi Polly, I cant see the bolt. Is it at the back of the oil filter that I need to remove 1st?

Attachments

• WP_20150417_011.jpg
    WP_20150417_011.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 496
sorry for the delay, been abit busy.

that rough rusty surface ain't gonna help the hose seal there. all hoses require a smooth round tube to seal, so I'd try some emery cloth on the metal pipe to get it down to bare metal shiny smooth, reattach hose assuming the inside hose is also smooth n intact then test for leaks.

removing the whole pipe whilst the coolant's drained will give better access but whenever the pipes o-ring is disturbed, especially if old & gone through afew heat cycles, it's always a good idea to replace it unless it's literally brand new.

the bolts holding the pipe are here

1.jpg

and here

2.jpg

Back